Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Funniest SitCom Episodes?

Not quite a sitcom, Police Squad! only ran for six episodes and was spun off into the more successful Naked Gun movies. I still find the pilot episode of the tv series one of the funniest things ever.

Talking of sitcoms, I'm intrigued that The Witchfinder General, the bleakest of all British horror films, has been turned into a sitcom. Unfortunatly reviews have been dire.

I like the one where the ship is replicated 3 times with normal, a impossibly virtuous and totally evil versions created. Buggered if I know the name of it though.

(Can’t believe the love for OFAH on this thread - I hated it from start to its long overdue finish)
Angels and demons?

Channel 4 seemed to have scrubbed You Tube of most Brass Eye clips, but both the drugs and paedophile episodes must be up there (if you count Brass Eye as any kind of sitcom).

Talking of sitcoms, I'm intrigued that The Witchfinder General, the bleakest of all British horror films, has been turned into a sitcom. Unfortunatly reviews have been dire.

Tried to watch the first episode this evening but, despite the top cast, it’s predictable shite. Shame 🙁

the episode i quote ends up with them killing the pope with that bootle of homebrew

thought that was a series highlight

Fair enough, it's hard to be objective about humour. Hard to even be subjective. A lot of it depends on who you are watching with.

Personally I think the humour of Black Books flows from the characters and how they are characterised. The later episodes seemed to be more about various situations for those characters. The first episode did such a great job at characterisation that it felt to me that there was nowhere to go after it. I liked the rest of the first series but it didn't stand up to a rewatch, while the first episode remained real comedy gold.

I'm currently binge watching this and I'm finding it really funny. Gave it a go as it's written by the gibbons brothers of Alan partridge fame.

Red Dwarf 'Quarantine' is up there for me. I remember when it first came on I think my brother and I just laughed continuously from the moment Rimmer appeared in the Gingham Dress.
Apparently that episode aired on the 12/3/92, which made it Mr Flibble’s 30th birthday yesterday!

That's 'Back to Reality', I think; which was also excellent.

I like the one where the ship is replicated 3 times with normal, a impossibly virtuous and totally evil versions created. Buggered if I know the name of it though.
As Oula says Angels and Demons. That whole series really was their peak. I remember 5 out of 6 episodes being absolute gold - and it was also my introduction to it. I’ve always been very fond of White Hole in the previous series.

The Rise of the Nutters and Spinners and Losers are probable high points of The Thick Of It.

All of these were so good but they end to all merge a bit for me so I can’t think of x episode as one of the best :( I guess because even though there were weekly stories, a lot of a humour is the observational stuff of how things work all the time.

I really like the first episode of Black Books, although I think the series after that was much less interesting. Tax returns. Real ADHD humour. And the Jehovas Witnesses bit was proper genius.
Also as I discovered it a recent rewatch, there are a couple of episodes which just feel a bit uncomfortably xenophobic/problematically stereotyped by today’s standards (when Manny moves out and becones a model; when Fran finds here extended family). Still, I’m very fond of the one when they accidentally drink the Pope’s wine.

Last edited:
And nobody has mentioned Spaced I don’t think? Though in a similar vein to what I say about Black Books above, one of my favourite 3 episodes has aged badly. :(

However, both the clubbing episode and the one where they drink in Camden are still absolutely mint :cool:

And nobody has mentioned Spaced I don’t think? Though in a similar vein to what I say about Black Books above, one of my favourite 3 episodes has aged badly. :(

However, both the clubbing episode and the one where they drink in Camden are still absolutely mint :cool:
We are rewatching Spaced at the moment.

As @Oula says Angels and Demons. That whole series really was their peak. I remember 5 out of 6 episodes being absolute gold - and it was also my introduction to it. I’ve always been very fond of White Hole in the previous series.
The first episode I saw was Kryten. It made a big impression. I think my favourite episodes are Justice and Back to Reality.

Back
Top Bottom