Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Go on... rape her... she won't report it... [UniLad magazine article]

I don't follow pop music at all, but have lyrics really become that much more submissive in general?
Smacks of moral panic to me, tbh. I'm not defending 'gangsta' stuff (of which I know little), but there is a lot more than just objectification going on here (and the objectification extends to men, too). It also feeds into racial stereotyping and expectations. Also, we should be very careful not to conflate USA with UK. The US has a big influence here, but we are not the US and the dynamics here are different.

One of the things I noticed in the video is that the thing they're getting most of their kicks from is bad puns. I love bad puns, so I can empathise with that. But they have to layer a load of ladmag bollocks on top of it as well.

I'd bet that the majority would be just as amused and entertained without the misogyny. But it becomes a self-perpetuating circle of expectation.

And that, I think, is where the influence of Nuts, Zoo, et all really comes in.

Really, nuts and zoo, magazines with a dwindling circulation of 60,000 in the whole of the UK?

Maybe sexism and misogyny are a bit more "organic" than some magazines, people aren't blank morons worked upon by a top down ideology.

Lads mags sales have gone down massively afaik. They really peaked in the late 90s - when I was at uni maybe about half the male students I knew would buy one and most of us would read one. Their sales dropped off dramatically after that and they're not massive sellers now. So if it is getting worse since then I'm not sure they're to blame.

I suppose it might be they appeal to a smaller but more sexist audience now, possibly.

theres young lads at my work buy them and from what i can see pretty much all of them are either under the thumbs of their girlfreinds or would like to be if they had one .

the things strike me more as sad than misogynist, although thats not to say they arent .

I think they've become more explicit with younger female singers singing them.

I think there needs to be a line drawn between submissiveness in general and sexual submissiveness role play. Singing about whips and chains Riri style or whatever isn't saying "Put me in my place in the kitchen, pay me less for the same work or sexually harass me".

Ironically female sexual empowerment (the falling away of shame about having desires and discussing them) can go perfectly hand in hand with a proliferation of submissive sexual fantasy ie Rihana's S&M, 50 shades of grey etc

Anyway feel a bit ekky posting that so I'll bow out now.

I think you missed my point - I wasn't saying lyrics were more submissive, I said that lyrics were more explicit in my opinion.

I do not think a thread discussing an article making light of rape is perhaps the best place to start a discussion about submissiveness in whatever form.

I think explicit is the key word - lyrics were often coded in the Blues / Rhythm and Blues trads, not so much any more. Not sure that singers are getting younger though. Gladys Horton laid down 'Please Mr Postman' aged 15 for example.

I think you missed my point - I wasn't saying lyrics were more submissive, I said that lyrics were more explicit in my opinion.

I do not think a thread discussing an article making light of rape is perhaps the best place to start a discussion about submissiveness in whatever form.

I read your post as saying that the submissive lyrics are more explicit now.

I didn't start the discussion, I was replying to it.

I don't follow pop music at all, but have lyrics really become that much more submissive in general?

Jesus, just tuned into a show called 'The Millionaire Matchmaker' on 4 music (i like to look into the open sewer occasionally just to see how bad things have got). Obviously it is vile and shit in every way, but I was still shocked at some of its content. There was one scene where the female host of the show said to the male contestant 'here's the rules: no roofies, no strip clubs, no swinging' and the male contestant jokingly replied 'ah, you got me'. So basically, I just turned on the telly at 8:00pm on a sunday and saw witty banter about drugging women in order to rape them. I mean - what the fuck, are there no depths to which the media won't sink?

But this isn't even a case of between friends, I've run with a rough lot, but it seems rape as a punch line is on the rise, i really remember it being a something that came up in the past.

I wonder if this is a push back against the move to educate people about the issues around rape.

But this isn't even a case of between friends, I've run with a rough lot, but it seems rape as a punch line is on the rise, i really remember it being a something that came up in the past.

I wonder if this is a push back against the move to educate people about the issues around rape.

Partially. Under whose aegis, though? Mens' Rights Activists are mostly a bunch of inchoate chest-beaters, so do we lay this one at the media's door? I mean, historically the media follow direction, so who's directing?

I think there's also an issue regarding the tension between male displacement from the workplace, and continued promotion of the "man as breadwinner" meme, but again that's only part of it.

I think there's also a deliberate coarsening of social mores by those elements of the population that are more able to "get away" with such things. We hear a lot about working class people getting drunk, misbehaving and basically being lewd and licentious, and invariably such people end up before the magistrate, paying the price for their folly. What we don't hear quite so much about is when this behaviour takes place (and it does) in non-working class environments, and because such behaviour isn't "policed" in the way it is among w/c populations, it's not questioned anywhere near as closely. Unfortunately, unaddressed misbehaviour quickly becomes habit, and the unpunished twat quickly comes to believe that their behaviour is not merely acceptable, but legitimate.

And yes, I'm well aware I'm making a class issue out of a behaviour (rape) that crosses class boundaries, but there's an element of difference between how the classes are treated that provides a fertile soil for a sense of middle class "entitlement" to grow in.

I have noticed people are calling out creepy behaviour a bit more thesedays (a good thing), but often they are using phrases like 'a bit rapey' which can seem like trivialising rape. It's also diverting attention from the fact that Blue WKD-drinking 'lads' dropping roofies in people's drinks are far less common than people being attacked by someone they know and trust. 'Rapey' behaviour or appearance isn't something that should be defined so simply.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...-British-universities-ever-get-rid-of-it.html
lots in this article
Can universities ever get rid of boozy, sexist lad culture?
What to do?
Toni Pearce, NUS president, speaking at an event in London at the end of last week about lad culture in higher education, said: “It beggars belief that a very present danger to women on our campuses was denied and ignored by universities for so long. Frankly there came a point when saying, not on my campus, was unacceptable really. Lad culture on campus will never be tackled unless we work together – all students - to confront it, using the National Strategy Team (NST) to facilitate this.”
banter-t-shirt_2537409c.jpg

Oxford Union President Ben Sullivan is arrested on suspicion of rape

A leading light in student politics and member of an elite university drinking club, Benjamin Sullivan, the President of the Oxford Union, has been released on bail until 18 June after being arrested on suspicion of rape and attempted rape.

Last year a Oxford university club sent out this:

Last Monday, the social secretary of the Pembroke College Rugby Football Club sent his members an email with the subject line “FREE PUSSY”. In the email, Mr Kim proposed a “challenge” to the male members of the college; to “pick” a female fresher of their choice as a guest for the upcoming crew date. Mr Kim’s email continued, “please bring TWO bottles of wine – one for yourself and one for your guest”. This second bottle of wine is to be tampered with. He wrote, “You must open the bottle in advance, and include a substance of your choice. It may be spirits or anything you like.”

“Please be as clandestine as possible in your deed.”

What sort of people are these places breeding? Vile products of privilege it looks like.

Back
Top Bottom