Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Go on... rape her... she won't report it... [UniLad magazine article]

Well to me 'elite university drinking club' means a university drinking club that happens to be elite, not an ordinary drinking club at an elite university.

That fact that we've both read the same sentence in two different ways is proof enough that the sentence is ambiguous, no?
Perhaps on it's own the sentence could be ambiguous. In the context of an article about a drinking club at Oxford University, it isn't.

The fact that you've misread something isn't evidence of ambiguity. It is evidence of something else though. ;)

Yes yes yss, there's a def a chance they meant the best damn drinking club at oxford uni. There really really is.

Oh just let something go for once in your life would you? I'm entitled to read something and come to my own conclusions about it.

:confused:

But I haven't misread it, you have. I know you like shouting about things Frank, but why not shout about real things? There's no need to go looking for stuff that isn't really there.

isn't this oxford union who invited\assange to speak by video link? invited Le Pen to speak in person.

fucked up

:confused:

But I haven't misread it, you have. I know you like shouting about things Frank, but why not shout about real things? There's no need to go looking for stuff that isn't really there.

Or maybe you misread it.

Maybe it's ambiguous, maybe you're being a bit of a dick telling other people that their interpretation of something is wrong. Maybe a lot of things.

Well to me 'elite university drinking club' means a university drinking club that happens to be elite, not an ordinary drinking club at an elite university.

That fact that we've both read the same sentence in two different ways is proof enough that the sentence is ambiguous, no?
nice to see pedantry alive and well on urban

'elite university drinking club' is ambiguous. As everybody already knows that Oxford is an elite university, the use of 'elite' relating to the university is superfluous and it could easily be referring to the drinking club. Badly written.

'elite university drinking club' is ambiguous. As everybody already knows that Oxford is an elite university, the use of 'elite' relating to the university is superfluous and it could easily be referring to the drinking club. Badly written.

It's not bad writing, it's nuance. The angry man told me.

Back
Top Bottom