Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Go on... rape her... she won't report it... [UniLad magazine article]

His name is only mud in circles that share our values. To these elite scum, they don't care.

Time to close the places down and punish attitudes such as those shown in that letter. There is no justification; rape isn't a joke.
The practice of crew dating really needs to be shut down its not creepy at all.:hmm:
The drinking clubs are dieing a natural death when the president of the oxford union attempts to use legal means to bar knowledge of his membership of one you can see the writings on the wall for them.
Boris and daves photo has probably done more to hurt them than anything :p

That seems like a poor attempt at sending themselves up at first read, or is it just me?

Still a shite site.
My feeling is as you say, it is an attempt at sending themselves up. What surprises me is that after the problems they experienced from the rape article you'd think they would have learned that some things aren't funny at all. Or is it that modern day male university students really aren't as clever as they think they are?

This was on BBC2 last night:
From bomb threats sent to campaigners for more females on banknotes to sexually explicit pop videos. From extreme laddism at universities to rape jokes in the school yard... Kirsty Wark explores whether there's a new culture abroad in which it's acceptable to write about, talk about, and feature women in a sexually offensive, even abusive way. Or whether the female of the species just needs to 'man up', learn to enjoy a gag, and get used to the 21st century world

Not watched it yet but seems germane to this discussion

This was on BBC2 last night:

Not watched it yet but seems germane to this discussion

Was pretty good. Good to see that serious discussion of the 'new misogyny' is making it onto mainstream TV. Kristy Walk seemed to know her stuff. Rod Liddle features and - amazingly - comes across as a total fucking dick ("these women need to man up")

Tort deals with civil law far as I recall.
It does yeah, but there's an overlap with criminal in some instances, and a lower burden of proof - which is why you can get successful civil prosecutions for the same offence that's been found not guilty in criminal court.

It would require a civil prosecution rather than a CPS call though yeah.

The reason I mentioned Tort in particular is that IIRC it deals more with what would be considered 'reasonable' behaviour than other areas. Man on the Clapham omnibus stuff. It's a long time since I studied though, so I can't pin down exactly which Tort I think might apply - it just *feels* like their ought to be something applicable iykwim.

A little compendium. Do look at the first one as its from yesterday:

A notorious Cambridge drinking society is facing a police investigation after a group of men suspected to be members was filmed walking down a street in Oxford chanting about rape.

The group, described as being clearly intoxicated, were captured on video by an Oxford student who later reported the incident to Thames Valley Police.

The footage, circulated via YouTube and the Facebook group “Misogyny Overheard at Oxford”, shows a large group of men marching down the street early on Saturday evening.

Some members of the group, who are out of shot and not identifiable in the video, can be heard chanting “rape, rape, rape”, “she’s too young” and “15 years”

...and at a sort of similar elite US university:

Students who walked into women’s bathroom stalls at Columbia University this week could see the frustration about how colleges judge and punish accused rapists scrawled on walls and fliers.

Whoever listed the four male student names under the heading “rapists on campus” – written on bathroom walls and fliers tucked on top of toilet paper dispensers – mounted a brief awareness campaign that seemed to combine aspirations of strengthening public safety with inflicting public shame. Twenty-three students at Columbia and Barnard College have already filed a federal complaint accusing the university of running flawed sexual assault hearings and letting alleged perpetrators off the hook.

butler-flyer11.jpg

may help change some of this culture?

initiative with 7 uni's including Swansea to stop initiation ceremonies and binge drinking
no Cardiff tho :hmm:
Binge drinking students are the target of a new pilot scheme hoping to clamp down on excessive alcohol culture in universities.

Seven universities have joined a pilot scheme run by the National Union of Students and the Home Office.

It aims to create a "cafe culture that runs into the evening".

The NUS Alcohol Impact scheme will run for 12 months at universities including Swansea.

The others are Loughborough, Nottingham, Brighton, Manchester Metropolitan, Liverpool John Moores and Royal Holloway
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/binge-drinking-students-subject-new-7179619

"you'll take my drink from my cold dead hands"

it is more aimed at the carnage events i believe

yes it is badly worded
i think they mean the huge organised pubcrawls that are in the pic of the article
literally hundreds if not a thousand all out in matching t shirts on the same night

This recent event at Nottingham University also seems pertinent to the discussion on this thread:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-29756910

A number of students have been fined following an investigation after footage emerged of a group chanting about violence and necrophilia.

The chant filmed during the Freshers' Week included a reference to digging up and having sex with a female corpse.

A University of Nottingham spokeswoman said action was taken "in line with its code of discipline" for students.

Impact, the university's student magazine, said the students had been fined £150 each.

The group was filmed outside the Capital FM Arena on 28 September by a first year student, who did not want to be named.

The woman said she was "fed up" after hearing the misogynistic chants all week and so decided to film the behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom