Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Global financial system implosion begins

Ladies, handbags!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/feb/18/peter-mandelson-starbucks

The business secretary, Peter Mandelson, yesterday launched an extraordinary tirade against the head of the Starbucks coffee empire, accusing him of spreading gloom and overly denigrating the state of the British economy.

Angered at remarks by the company's chairman, Howard Schultz – who said the UK was in an economic "spiral" with "very, very poor" consumer confidence – Mandelson accused him of spreading unnecessary misery and speaking out of turn.

Schultz said: "Unemployment, the sub-prime mortgage crisis, particularly in the UK, and I think consumer confidence, particularly in the UK, is very, very poor."

I think we've only just started with our sub-prime mortgage crisis and extent of which won't become apparent until more become unemployed

Gore and Ban Ki Moon have an article in yesterday's FT on how crucial expanding a new green economy is to stave off/taking us out of global recession...

Green growth is essential to any stimulus
By Ban Ki-moon and Al Gore , Financial Times, 16 Feb 2009

http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=752962

Aha, the search for a new god, the god of growth is not looking well, maybe his cousin the god of green growth can save us. Peak oil by any other name I suppose.

As usual I can't help but agree with him. Especially when he's talking about stuff like the furore over bankers' bonuses being just another red herring to distract people from the real problem, namely the black hole into which our whole country is currently being shovelled; not by bankers but by the government. We're buying deckchairs on the Titanic and calling it an investment ffs, and at the risk of mixing metaphors it's not strategic German towel placement we should be worried about :(

I dont know what else the government can be expected to do though, the slide does seem rather inevitable, yet they cant do nothing, and they dont have many other choices?

Cynicus has some good points as usual, but I find the emotive comparison to Zimbabwe to be a tad unpalatable. Things are very bad, but why jump ahead to a stage we are not yet at? I'll save the Zimbabwe comparisons until we have hyperinflation.

That the dawning of peak oil would spark a financial collapse is well understood. People like Colin Campbell have been saying this for years.

What I was referring to was the more recent wave of plunder, what I call "timebomb finance". Products and practices which were blatantly unsustainable and unstable.

Maybe, I think its very hard to tell if there was that method to their madness. Im certainly a very heavy subscriber to the idea that peak oil, or even just widespread acknowledgement of peak oil, would cause financial doom. Im just not sure that all the bubbles, looting and subsequent bursts we've seen this century are part of a coordinated plan to run off with the wealth whilst they still can. In my mind, the final oil profit party was a multidecade thing and Im not sure how aware of the reality many of the participants were. Many were just along for the ride and as many didnt get out in time, Im not sure they realised it was a last dash for megaprofit.

I dont know what else the government can be expected to do though, the slide does seem rather inevitable, yet they cant do nothing, and they dont have many other choices?

Cynicus has some good points as usual, but I find the emotive comparison to Zimbabwe to be a tad unpalatable. Things are very bad, but why jump ahead to a stage we are not yet at? I'll save the Zimbabwe comparisons until we have hyperinflation.

Would I be correct in thinking that the most accurate early indication of inflation, be it hyperinflation or no, would be wage inflationary pressures in the public and private sectors, as Cynicus suggests? If so, how rapid would the lag be between wage inflation and actual price inflation?

I dont know. Complete collapse of currency value on international markets or shortages of goods seem like ways to get hyperinflation quickly, as opposed to there just being too much money in the system, which I would think would take a while longer to have an inflationary effect.

Its not like inflation in recent years has been talked about properly in the media, as it seemed like high oil & energy price was driving inflation but this was not shouted about much at the time, even though it was rather obvious.

The mainstream consensus seems to be that deflation is still the current fear, a trap they are desperate to avoid, but with some recognition that anti-deflation measures could rapidly cause hyperinflation at some point. A tricky balancing act that we are unlikely to come through unscathed.

I see that Cynicus is now describing UK as the new Zimbabwe:
Its Official - The UK Government is Now Bankrupt

Financially as well as morally it would seem...
:eek: :(

I don't buy it.

The government isn't financing a deficit through printing money- the Bank of England is trying to hit its inflation target through purchasing treasury bills already in circulation - big difference.

Deficit financing through debasement is such a thoroughly discredited idea that the only states that attempt it are those who have exhausted all other avenues of credit. 10 year UK treasuries are currently trading at 0.6% above US treasuries. If there was any concern about the health of the UK finances, or that the government was debasing the currency this figure would have skyrocketed.

It's not the government that's doing it. It's the Bank of England, which is independent, and also committed to hitting the 2% inflation target no matter what side it is on.

I suppose it is kind of doing the same thing as printing money (although the increase is expressed electronically, not in cash), but the the risk posed is outweighed by the risk from deflation, (because it is comparatively easy to restrain inflation through fiscal or monetary measures).

Considering the latest banking bill meant that that BoE doesn't have to disclose if it is printing money, that's a brave ststement to make.

Clearly it's not an attempt to pull the wool over peoples' eyes, because Mervyn King pretty much all out admitted that quantatitive easing was on the table in his 'unconventional measures' speech.

What I do think it is, is an attempt to stop the press jumping on the announcement when it finally starts and hyping the situation into something it isn't - just like how Northern Rock got sent to the wall when the market misinterpreted what their approach to the BOE actually meant.

The government isn't financing a deficit through printing money- the Bank of England is trying to hit its inflation target through purchasing treasury bills already in circulation - big difference.

Some of the money will filter into the UK economy, most will go to pay debt owed to East Asia. But that's not the point. Borrowing to pay debt will devalue the currency.

Deficit financing through debasement is such a thoroughly discredited idea that the only states that attempt it are those who have exhausted all other avenues of credit.

Famous. Last. Words.

Watch this space.

If there was any concern about the health of the UK finances, or that the government was debasing the currency this figure would have skyrocketed.

Heh!

Sit tight.

:(

Woof

A question for the financial gurus here. I saw that oil had dropped to something like $35 a barrell. Is this not also going to hammer some countries e.g. us who take a large tax cut from oil sales?

It's not the government that's doing it. It's the Bank of England, which is independent

Heh!

I suppose it is kind of doing the same thing as printing money (although the increase is expressed electronically, not in cash), but the the risk posed is outweighed by the risk from deflation, (because it is comparatively easy to restrain inflation through fiscal or monetary measures).

Heh!

"Cash", is not money. "Debt" is money.

And there's far too much debt around and no forseeable way to repay it.

Deflation is the wave drawing out from the shore before the tsunami rolls in to subsume the coastlines.

Cynicus is correct. The only question is how quickly we respond. Unfortunately, I don't see politicians taking any meaningful lead.

Take measures, peeps.

:(

Woof

A question for the financial gurus here. I saw that oil had dropped to something like $35 a barrell. Is this not also going to hammer some countries e.g. us who take a large tax cut from oil sales?

Me no guru but I'l take a stab at that one.

Yes, many will get hammered, as will oil companies. And its even bigger than oil, there was a very big commodities boom that the likes of Russia benefitted from in a big way, it restored their might and thats all been coming undone in recent months.

Large oil exporters did build up a lot of wealth during the years of big oil price rises, but it probably wont take very long to get through that. Its all over the news in various different forms, such as little stories about the likes of Venezuela having to cutback on government spending as expected revenue assumptions based on oil at > $100 no longer apply.

By and large the media, which moaned about the oil price going up, is also moaning about it going down. Much like the flip from fears of inflation to fears of deflation, it could flip again, and both sides of the coin bring their own problems.

As if by magic...........

The Bank of England could start "printing money" as early as next month in a bid to tackle the recession, it has been revealed. Skip related content
Related content

Governor Mervyn King has formally asked Chancellor Alistair Darling for permission to start so-called quantitative easing - increasing money supply in the economy.

The move emerged as Gordon Brown urged world leaders to strike a "grand bargain" to counter the economic crisis.

The Prime Minister called for co-operation on banking reform and fiscal stimulus packages as he outlined his hopes for the G20 summit of world leaders in London in April.

Mr Brown said: "I think we are fashioning for the future a global deal, a grand bargain, where each continent accepts its responsibilities and its obligations to act to deal with what is a global problem that can only be solved with a global solution.

"America has just announced the biggest fiscal and monetary stimulus in the history of its country.

"Every part of the world must be part of the stimulus to the economy, giving support into the economy with investment, getting interest rates down as much as possible, and I believe one of the features of our discussions at the G20 summit on April 2 is how all countries can come together to do that."

Meanwhile, minutes from the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee meeting earlier this month revealed that it had unanimously supported plans for quantitative easing.

The Bank will in effect create money to buy up Government securities - gilts - and private sector assets in a bid to boost the economy by improving liquidity in markets, allowing banks to offer more credit. The move marks an extension of its £50 billion fund to purchase assets, although this only includes those from the private sector, such as commercial paper and corporate bonds, which are effectively IOUs to allow companies to raise cash.

"In the present environment, where particular credit markets were not functioning normally, it was appropriate to consider increasing the supply of central bank money by more unconventional types of asset purchases," the committee concluded.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090218/tuk-bank-plans-to-print-more-money-6323e80.html

I've been following this thread since it's inception and would like to say thanks to all the contributors.

It's all going to end in tears, that much has been apparent to me since last summer.

Survival kit anyone?

So potentially the UK is looking at bad inflation as the money injected into the economy dillutes the worth of the existing sterling in circulation?
Which I presume means importing stuff will become more expensive and savings will become worth less as the currency is devalued and interest rates are held low?

fuckers. I was all careful and prudent and saved my money and now it's going to devalue :mad:
spending it on flights to somewhere I can live comfortably for not much money for as many months as possible seems like a sensible way to spend it now.

Some of the money will filter into the UK economy, most will go to pay debt owed to East Asia. But that's not the point. Borrowing to pay debt will devalue the currency.

Woof

Where can I find accurate figures that show the balance of trade and payments between the UK and East Asia? I though most of our business was conducted with Europe? Are Japan and China large holders of UK government debt?

"Cash", is not money. "Debt" is money.

And there's far too much debt around and no forseeable way to repay it.
We certainly won't repay it with a negative attitude like that. Shit, why not just give up and throw ourselves off Beachy Head while we're at it?

What I think you fail to appreciate is that with deflation the real value of debt becomes steadily larger - a millstone round the necks of businesses and consumers which chokes off the investment and consumption that we desperately need to get us out of this mess.

We'll cross the inflation bridge when we come to it. :)

fuckers. I was all careful and prudent and saved my money and now it's going to devalue :mad:
See this guy's comments re. prudence:
Chris Martenson said:
So there it is. If you have been responsible, you have just been punished. And you know what? Nobody can possibly blame you for deciding that being responsible is for suckers.

It’s not a stretch to imagine that a few folks will even come to the conclusion that hard work and prudence are no longer the core values of our country
Comment #15 resonates with what I was saying earlier:
This is NOT about your overdue mortgage its about who cooked the books and cooked the world's economy. We as a people, the citizens of this great country have been manipulated into "this mess". Laws where changed and laws created to allow greedy banks and financial institutions to make them money. Now that it has backfired and the few greedy bastards who perpetrated this scheme, the ones at the top of the ponzi scheme, got out first and left the corrupt government holding the bag. The tax payers are the ones accountable. I am sick to death about the continued abuse by the financial interests who are now using divisive, propaganda to make us all think that it is the homeowner who "bought more than they could afford" "who took advantage and should have known better" well to them I say, "they stab you in the back and you say that your not looking"

The most unfortunate lesson to be learned from all of this; the one percent of this country has gotten away with the greatest transference of wealth and they did it legally

Crispy said:
spending it on flights to somewhere I can live comfortably for not much money for as many months as possible seems like a sensible way to spend it now.
Sensible idea!
Although its getting more and more expensive as the £ falls. Many folk who moved or retired to "cheap" countries are now struggling.
:eek:
ETA:
At least they're struggling somewhere warm...
:D

Money always devalues. Its called inflation. It is why we put money into banks (and other financial investments) to receive interest to offset. The main worry is deflation, and this would mean hopefully your money would buy more as prices decrease.

The most ideal strategy is put money into longer-term, covered investments. Drinking mojitos in Jakarta is not one of these.

Back
Top Bottom