Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Global financial system implosion begins

Oh, and whilst no one was paying much attention......

Latvia's government collapses
Latvia's center-right coalition government collapsed Friday, a victim of the country's growing economic and political turmoil and the second European government, after Iceland, to disintegrate because of the international financial crisis.

The government in Riga, faced with forecasts of a severe drop in the economy this year, was the first in Eastern Europe to succumb to turmoil caused by the crisis. Its collapse rounded out a week that saw worries about feeble investment, banks and output in Central and Eastern Europe coursing through international markets.

Latvia has had a history of revolving-door politics and complex coalitions since pulling free of the Soviet Union in 1991. Prime Minister Ivars Godmanis, who presented his resignation to President Valdis Zatlers on Friday, had been in power only since December 2007. But the precipitous plunge of Latvia's economy, which helped provoke the worst riot since 1991 last month, played a major part in the government's downfall.

Godmanis said he would continue to govern until a new coalition was formed.

"I am ready to continue working, but I think that responsibility for the consequences created by this government's resignation must be taken by those parties that overturned the government," Godmanis said, according to news reports. Two of his coalition partners, the People's Party and the Greens and Farmers' Union, had demanded his ouster, he added.

Paul Krugman - What will stop the pain?

But my eye was caught by the following chilling passage (Yes, things are so bad that the summarized musings of central bankers can keep you up at night): "All participants anticipated that unemployment would remain substantially above its longer-run sustainable rate at the end of 2011, even absent further economic shocks; a few indicated that more than five to six years would be needed for the economy to converge to a longer-run path characterized by sustainable rates of output growth and unemployment and by an appropriate rate of inflation."

What we have seen up to now is a classic emperor's new clothes scenario, and all those politicians with a position of influence and a public voice who chose to pretend that all was rosy and always would be should be fucking well ashamed.
There's a bit at the end of JK Galbraith's book The Great Crash, 1929 where he basically says that the nature of bubbles is such that there's no incentive for anyone who is a position of influence, to say that there's a bubble. By doing so, you would only invite opprobrium upon yourself by pricking the bubble; or in today's globalised world if you tried to rein it all in in your country, all the investment money would just flee to another country with dire consequences for where you are. Essentially, by saying anything you would effectively be writing your own P45 as everyone would blame you for calling time on the rising market, (aka an unsustainable bubble) therefore you just play the game and pretend all is good until it all dissolves of it's own accord (and is a substantially bigger bubble as a result).

There's a bit at the end of JK Galbraith's book The Great Crash, 1929 where he basically says that the nature of bubbles is such that there's no incentive for anyone who is a position of influence, to say that there's a bubble. By doing so, you would only invite opprobrium upon yourself by pricking the bubble; or in today's globalised world if you tried to rein it all in in your country, all the investment money would just flee to another country with dire consequences for where you are. Essentially, by saying anything you would effectively be writing your own P45 as everyone would blame you for calling time on the rising market, (aka an unsustainable bubble) therefore you just play the game and pretend all is good until it all dissolves of it's own accord (and is a substantially bigger bubble as a result).

Its the case of the 'greater fool'. Yes investor might well know that a market is unsustainable, but they risk buying into it becasue they feel they'll be able to sell on your investment before the music stops. And shouting that its all a house of cards doesn;t serve the interests of anybody who is making money out it.

The investors of the likes of lehman borthers, HSBC etc got their fat bonus payments whilst the going was good and can now sit back and enjoy their fraudlently obtained riches whilst the rest of us get royally fucked up the arse.

Yep - that's pretty much what the present system of capitalism facilitates via the boom and bust cycle which, despite Gordon's superhuman powers that enable him to 'save the world', he hasn't abolished. How he must regret that, I think it will be his 'Chamberlain' moment...

I was watching Newsnight the other day and the EU banks have pushed into Eastern European countries, now owning 99% of the banks in the region.

There is no country in Eastern Europe that has less than a 1 in 5 chance of failure. The Ukraine is teetering on the edge and is expected to default very soon, with a 90% chance.

The combined total of debt lent to Eastern Europe is in excess of 1 trillion euros. If they start to default it will cause a wave of bank failures across Western Europe and may well bankrupt some of those countries because (as the man in that excellent Bloomberg TV clip above says) some of the banks are too big and therefore too expensive for the countries they are in to save. Ireland banks have liabilities of more than five times Irelands GDP.

Its looking increasingly likely that Germany, France and other EU countries will all have to chip in to save the banks in neighbouring countries. Otherwise it will mean the end of monetary union. You want to see a shock to the financial system, I think that would be the beginning of the end.

Thanx! Interesting. I presumed something similar but had no data. Actually, still don't. Any sources, please?

Deleted Telegraph Article :

The banking system of Europe is at the edge of the abyss. A brief story by The Telegraph revealed this last week. The original was almost immediately deleted. A new version was substituted.

You can see the original headline on Google:

European banks may need £16.3 trillion bail-out, EC document warns ...

There are dozens of these links. I read the story last week. I saved the link. But, lo and behold, when I clicked my saved link on Monday morning, the story did not mention a specific figure.

There was a reason for this. The editors at The Telegraph had taken out the following paragraphs:

European Commission officials have estimated that impaired assets may amount to 44pc of EU bank balance sheets. The Commission estimates that so-called financial instruments in the trading book total £12.3 trillion (13.7 trillion euros), equivalent to about 33pc of EU bank balance sheets.

In addition, so-called 'available for sale instruments' worth £4trillion (4.5 trillion euros), or 11pc of balance sheets, are also added by the Commission to arrive at the headline figure of £16.3 trillion.

Fortunately, web sites around the globe have posted the deleted paragraphs.

Converted into dollars, £16.3 trillion are the equivalent of $25 trillion.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north689.html

There's a rumour doing the rounds among financial sorts in this neck of the woods:

As we know, currently, China is the largest holder of US$ in the world (foriegn currency reserves). China has about US$ 2 trillion in the bank of which about half is held in US$ (mostly US Treasuries).

The US is currently cranking up its issue of debt in order to finance the "bailouts" and try to keep the economy stimulated. Pretty much every govt. is doing the same thing - everyone is trying to raise money through debt and there just aren't that many peeps in the market with the kind of cash needed to mop up this newly-issued govt. debt.

The US desperately needs China to keep buying Treasuries, if it stops or, god forbid, it starts selling what it holds, the US will be in deep DEEP trouble.

Meanwhile, the US government is very good at investigating people, tracking their movements, their communications, their assests and their bank accounts.

So ...... the theory goes, that ......

The US has made it clear to the leadership of China (quietly,) that it (the US govt.) has assembled a detailed list of the huge number of senior Chinese ministers/officials throughout the country that hold cash and assests overseas and the details of the value and whereabouts of each officials' holdings and assets.

And it has made it even clearer that, should China stop buying US Treasuries, the list will very quickly be made very public.

Given the delicate state of China's economy (20 million migrant workers have just lost their jobs in Guangdong Province in the south and been sent back to their villages; six million fresh university graduates every year looking for work and lucky to get jobs as cleaners/chambermaids, etc,) and given the deep-seated loathing that the populace holds for corrupt officials, the publication of such details would lead to massive, nationwide, social unrest - with a real danger of the collapse/disintigration of the Chinese Communist Party.

I don't doubt that China will continue, at least for the forseeable future, to purchase newly-issued, US Treasuries - even if it is gradually selling down its existing stock (very quietly, so as not to send the value of these assets plummeting, as would surely happen if word got out that China was unloading).

Very conspiratorial!

:cool:

Woof

There's a rumour doing the rounds among financial sorts in this neck of the woods:

As we know, currently, China is the largest holder of US$ in the world (foriegn currency reserves). China has about US$ 2 trillion in the bank of which about half is held in US$ (mostly US Treasuries).

The US is currently cranking up its issue of debt in order to finance the "bailouts" and try to keep the economy stimulated. Pretty much every govt. is doing the same thing - everyone is trying to raise money through debt and there just aren't that many peeps in the market with the kind of cash needed to mop up this newly-issued govt. debt.

The US desperately needs China to keep buying Treasuries, if it stops or, god forbid, it starts selling what it holds, the US will be in deep DEEP trouble.

Meanwhile, the US government is very good at investigating people, tracking their movements, their communications, their assests and their bank accounts.

So ...... the theory goes, that ......

The US has made it clear to the leadership of China (quietly,) that it (the US govt.) has assembled a detailed list of the huge number of senior Chinese ministers/officials throughout the country that hold cash and assests overseas and the details of the value and whereabouts of each officials' holdings and assets.

And it has made it even clearer that, should China stop buying US Treasuries, the list will very quickly be made very public.

Given the delicate state of China's economy (20 million migrant workers have just lost their jobs in Guangdong Province in the south and been sent back to their villages; six million fresh university graduates every year looking for work and lucky to get jobs as cleaners/chambermaids, etc,) and given the deep-seated loathing that the populace holds for corrupt officials, the publication of such details would lead to massive, nationwide, social unrest - with a real danger of the collapse/disintigration of the Chinese Communist Party.

I don't doubt that China will continue, at least for the forseeable future, to purchase newly-issued, US Treasuries - even if it is gradually selling down its existing stock (very quietly, so as not to send the value of these assets plummeting, as would surely happen if word got out that China was unloading).

Very conspiratorial!

:cool:

Woof

Heh, if it's true (and there's no reason to think that it doesn't contain more than a whiff of truth) it's a great piece of brinkmanship. The only thing that doesn't ring true about it is that it's unecessary - China and the US are like two drunks supprting each other; if one falls the other goes with them.

Jessiedog> Surely the Chinese would clamp down on any spreading of this information should it be released itno the public sphere by US intelligence?

I'm sure they can't stop everyone, but I would have thought a bit of brutallity and ramping up their Great FireWall of China, would probably put a lot of people off looking too hard?

Heh, if it's true (and there's no reason to think that it doesn't contain more than a whiff of truth) it's a great piece of brinkmanship. The only thing that doesn't ring true about it is that it's unecessary - China and the US are like two drunks supprting each other; if one falls the other goes with them.

Jessiedog> Surely the Chinese would clamp down on any spreading of this information should it be released itno the public sphere by US intelligence?

I'm sure they can't stop everyone, but I would have thought a bit of brutallity and ramping up their Great FireWall of China, would probably put a lot of people off looking too hard?
CFP active sonar perhaps?;)
Gordon Brown was on the news just yesterday saying those very words; "no-one could have forseen...". Given how much Brown knows about economics he's either lying or he's really, really stupid. Infinite growth, finite resources. You don't need to be prime minister to figure out that that particular equation doesn't have a good result. What we have seen up to now is a classic emperor's new clothes scenario, and all those politicians with a position of influence and a public voice who chose to pretend that all was rosy and always would be should be fucking well ashamed.

I'm not convinced its that crash, I was going to say it depends on how far ahead the future is mortgaged,;) but thinking about it logically 20 years seems rational so will be really tight, that's under 3*7:eek:I need not be that crash, but if its not addressed, then if this is,as Greenspan called it "a once in a century event":rolleyes: then that one would be akin to say what plague was to the dark ages

I was watching Newsnight the other day and the EU banks have pushed into Eastern European countries, now owning 99% of the banks in the region.

There is no country in Eastern Europe that has less than a 1 in 5 chance of failure. The Ukraine is teetering on the edge and is expected to default very soon, with a 90% chance.

The combined total of debt lent to Eastern Europe is in excess of 1 trillion euros. If they start to default it will cause a wave of bank failures across Western Europe and may well bankrupt some of those countries because (as the man in that excellent Bloomberg TV clip above says) some of the banks are too big and therefore too expensive for the countries they are in to save. Ireland banks have liabilities of more than five times Irelands GDP.

Its looking increasingly likely that Germany, France and other EU countries will all have to chip in to save the banks in neighbouring countries. Otherwise it will mean the end of monetary union. You want to see a shock to the financial system, I think that would be the beginning of the end.

A couple of perspectives on Germany and the EUro
Abrose Pritchard in the Telelgraph
and
Sebastian Dullien and Daniela Schwarzer on Project Syndicate

A few questrion I'd be interested to hear your responses on:

1.) How much longer do you think this recession will last?
2.) Do you think we have much furtehr to go before we hit the bottom, is it still a long drop yet?
3.) Are the stimulus bills going to work, or simple be throwing good debt after bad?

My completely gut feeling:

1) Years, not months
2) Quite a bit further yet
3) No, it's pissing in the rain

From Jim Kunstler's latest post on Clusterfuck Nation:
The sad truth is that banking has become a Chinese fire drill -- a frantic act of futility -- as insolvent companies persist in covering up their losses in order to avoid the counter-party hell of credit default swaps that would ring the world's "game over" bell. This can only go on so long. All the chatter about "nationalizing" the banks really boils down to what kind of bankruptcy work-out will they be put through, how destructive will the process be, and how much of the pain can be shoved forward in time to people now in diapers and their descendants...

... It's not too late for President Obama to start uttering these truths so that we can avoid a turn to fascism and get on with the real business of America's next phase of history -- living locally, working hard at things that matter, and preserving civilized culture. What a lot of us can see now staring out of the abyss is a new dark age. I don't think it's necessarily our destiny to end up that way, but these days we're not doing much to avoid it.
link

Back
Top Bottom