Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

GB News: a thread so you never have to watch it

More good news on viewing figures...

GB News has attracted just over 1m viewers a day in recent days, according to industry figures. This compares to a peak of 2.2m on June 14, its first full day on the air.

Sky News’ daily audience has averaged between 2.5m and 3m in recent days, while the BBC news channel averages more than 4m.

Telegraph

I was looking forward to GBN because I thought it would have interesting people you don't normally see on news media. Sadly no new interesting faces just the same old shouty weirdos.

Fucking hell, I only dip in every so often, and almost every time it's a massive fuck up, is it like this across the whole day?

Dewberry just went to an ad break, but there was no ads, back to the studio with no sound & Dewberry doing her make-up. :facepalm: :D

NSFW - includes me swearing. :thumbs:

View attachment 276148
This is the fault of cancel culture. It's not Michelle's fault that woke companies refuse to plug their wares on GBNewts. ((((Brillo))))

According to Enders Analysis, which provides a research service covering the media, GB News needs an average daily audience of 139,000 to attract the advertising spend needed to break even on annual costs of £25m, they are currently averaging about 30,000, and that may fall even further this week, what with Neil going AWOL so soon after launch.

2h.png
GB News also faced the added difficulty of overcoming a lukewarm enthusiasm from advertisers when it came to buying slots around news coverage.

"News programmes are subject to more stringent rules than other genres, making it harder to monetise," according to a GB News report by Jamie McGowan Stuart at Enders Analysis.

"They therefore deliver fewer commercial impacts than would be expected for their share of commercial viewing.

"Revenues are further impacted because advertisers are, by and large, unlikely to request to advertise specifically around news programming, while others would actively avoid it."

The BIB is interesting, because Sky Media had just bundled GB News with a load of other channels with tiny viewing figures & sold them off as a package, hence a number of brands being surprised to find themselves on the station, and resulting in ad breaks of 4 - 5 minutes to start with.

Whereas now they are down to 2 minute ad breaks, many promoting a 'Discovery +' offer via Sky, Discovery being a large investor in GB News, and cheapo telly-shopping type ads, that will be paying a lot less than bigger brands would, this suggests big brands are avoiding it, rather than 'boycotting' it as such, but with the same result.

GB News wants to test whether a core group of 150,000 superfans would be willing to pay £5 a month subscription to help bolster revenues, according to reports.

But that too comes with its share of challenges.

"Experiences and subscription content require additional perks to convince people to pay," McGowan Stuart adds.

"A challenge for GB News when it is already committing so much resource to its broadcast output."

This dream seems much further away now, than at launch, oh dear. :D

#GBNewsFails

That looks like a (for the time being) steady audience of 30,000: like a shitty community tv station for a small town, with shoddy production to match. Costs are obviously far too high for something so modest and so is the number of presenters; it needs to be presented, if possible, by two or three unpaid volunteers.

Well, I've dipped in, and I think it's absolutely brilliant. :thumbs:

Brilliantly shit, an absolute fucking shambles, fucking hell I thought Taunton TV* was amateurish back in the days, but compared to this lot they were a shinning beacon of professionalism! :D

* Taunton TV was part of the original 'channel 6 experimental local TV plan' back in the late 90's and staggered on for a couple of years, which is probably longer than GB News will manage.

I posted that towards the start of this thread, and I've just found a clip of Taunton TV on youtube, my timing was slightly out, as this is from 2002, so almost 20 years ago, and I was right to say it was a 'shinning beacon of professionalism' compared to GB News - the young newsreader pisses on some of the GBN presenters.

I've copied it at the point that they are covering the campaign to save Galmington Playing Field, because I organised this demonstration & got T-TV plus the BBC & HTV/ITV camera crews, local radio & newspapers there, plus I went on to become chairman of the action group.

All the printed placards, such as 'Not One Inch', and the one I was particularly proud of - 'You take our field! We'll take your seats! - Residents Party (proposed)' - were printed off by yours truly. :D

BTW - we got the Charity Commission involved, and saved the playing field, and they also made the council fork out compensation for a small part they had illegally sold before, to be invested in upgrading play equipment. :thumbs:

Andrew Neil has retweeted this from 'Retweet if D. Wootton is a talentless showbiz hack'. :D

It was clear he was unimpressed with Wootton on his last live hand-over to him, and from the following day those live hand-overs were axed.

There's a rumour that Neil took time off at short notice, because he was in despair with how things were turning out, and has insisted on changes before he returns, one of which is to get shot of Wootton, it is only a rumour, but time will tell.

It seems every time I've dipped into McCoy's show, Phillips is making a fucking dumb comment & having to apologise for it, FFS how long is Angelos Frangopoulos going to leave her there, surely he can see it's embarrassingly painful for both McCoy and the viewers?

View attachment 2b.mp4

:facepalm: :D

The Irish Times has published a piece, taking the piss out of GB News' Euros coverage, worth reading in full for a laugh.

By now, former England international Luther Blissett had the look of a broken man.

He was revived, though, when Nana told him they had clips of England’s four goals. First they showed the fourth, then the third, then the second, then the second again, then the first, then the fourth again, then the first, etc. By now, GB News viewers thought England had won 26-0.

Back to Duncan in Plymouth/Hull where he found a very merry beer-wielding lady called Debbie to chat to. She, too, was confused about the scoreline. “We scored FOUR goals,” she bellowed, while holding up five fingers.

:D :D :D

ome full-time on Saturday there was a heap of chat about who had been the man of the evening, Harry Kane, Luke Shaw and Raheem Sterling the chief contenders for the award. Not one of them, though, had put in a shift like former England international Luther Blissett on GB News, his appearance as a panellist on Tonight Live with Nana Akua lasting a whole three hours.

So drained did he appear to be by the end of it, you had your doubts about whether he’d be fit for the semi-finals.

Psychotherapist Lucy Beresford, Luther’s fellow panellist, talked about what a unifying experience it was for the country to be following England’s thus-far-rampant Euro 2020 journey, how “there’s something quite powerful about everyone watching the game right now because we’ve got so used to streaming things and watching them when we want to”.

This was a good point, the only problem being that Luther, Lucy and Nana weren’t among those enjoying the unifying experience of watching the game live because Nana’s show started just as the second half was kicking off.

Luther, then, was being asked to analyse a game that he couldn’t actually see, only Nana’s updates – “breaking news, it’s 2-0 to England!” – letting him know the score.

Once it hit 4-0 she headed over to reporter Duncan Sleightholme who was stationed at Plymouth Argyle’s Home Park stadium where 600 people had gathered to watch the game on a big screen.

GB News, which has kind of been billed as a channel for non-woke people, has been quite rudely ridiculed for rarely captioning the location of its reporters accurately, but that was probably just a teething issue in its early days that will since have been sorted.

Coincidence​

Any way, Duncan was in Plymouth, the caption saying “Hull”, and was overcome by the avalanche of goals.

“We’re losing track here – we had a goal and then another goal and then another goal and then another goal,” he said. “And what a great night to be called Harry – three of those goals were scored by people called Harry!”

“That is a bit of coincidence, isn’t it,” said Nana.

She then returned to her panel, asking Luther “are Wales out yet”, while admiring the Aston Villa shirt Lucy had just pulled on. “I thought it was a Queens Park Rangers shirt, same colours,” she said.

While waiting for the final whistle, she parked football for a moment. “Another injury – is it time for Harrison Ford to hang up his whip?”

By now, Luther had the look of a broken man.

He was revived, though, when Nana told him they had clips of England’s four goals. First they showed the fourth, then the third, then the second, then the second again, then the first, then the fourth again, then the first, etc. By now, GB News viewers thought England had won 26-0.

Back to Duncan in Plymouth/Hull where he found a very merry beer-wielding lady called Debbie to chat to. She, too, was confused about the scoreline. “We scored FOUR goals,” she bellowed, while holding up five fingers.

Feel the energy​

Then it was up to “North Berwick” to speak by Zoom to Harry Redknapp, who lives in Bournemouth. “So many Harrys tonight,” said Nana, this one declaring the performance to be “triffic”.

Then a quick debate about a school that has made smiling compulsory for students, before heading to the Dun Cow pub in Durham to speak to landlady Jill who said the evening had been “brilliant” apart from when her customers jumped up four times to celebrate England goals when Covid regulations stipulate they should remain seated. “I can feel the energy,” said Nana.

Back to Duncan in Hull/Plymouth/North Berwick/Saigon who had three young ladies with him.

“Itsh aaaamaszhin,” said one.

“Why is it amazing,” asked Duncan.

“BECOSH FUTBOWL’S CLUMMIN’ HOOOOOOME!”

Luther smiled, by then also sensing football was coming home, but after those three hours, you’d a notion home was the only place he wanted to be.

FFS, the useless OFCOM has opted to not investigate them. :mad:

But despite the large number of complaints Ofcom today said it would not launch a formal investigation into the channel.

It also dismissed a string of other complaints against GB News, including accusations that Wootton was “materially misleading” during his show on the channel’s second night.

The verdict will come as a major boost to Andrew Neil’s venture, which is aimed at tapping into audiences it argues have been overlooked by traditional media outlets.

Back
Top Bottom