Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

GB News: a thread so you never have to watch it

It's still novel - imagine people on tv news not pretending to have home counties accents, and not shaping every sentence to make sure you won't be cancelled by their peers.
Can you name any people who do pretend to have home counties accents? Two will do. Three at a pinch.

Michelle Dewberry: OK, well it's time for us to take a short break.

(Union Jack graphic on screen for about ten seconds. No adverts)

MD, looking a bit startled: Well, that was a very short break, wasn't it? So short no-one's sorted out my autocue. So maybe I'll just talk to you (looks at someone off camera) until I know what I'm supposed to be saying.

They are advertising for EIGHT new f/t producers, which seems a lot just 2 weeks in, I wonder if some have walked/been sacked, or they have just woken up to how under-staffed they are.

As we continue to grow, we are looking for an additional 8 producers to join us. This is a great opportunity to join an inclusive and experienced team on our newly launched channel on a full-time employed basis. Having experience of production in a live tv or radio environment is essential in this role.

You will be skilled and energetic with a forensic eye for detail and accuracy. You will be full of ideas both for stories and for how they are told. You will be highly adept at producing video, graphic and live sequences and casting debates in an original way, constantly seeking out fresh and compelling angles. You will not rely on the same faces saying the same things. You will think across media, producing and adapting content for multiple platforms simultaneously.

These roles are working across the full shift pattern of the 24/7 news channel – when you apply please indicate your preferred working hours.
LINK

I mean the second paragraph reads as much like a rant against current staff as it does a job description.
"You will be everything the current lot PROMISED THEY WERE, GREGORY. You will be everything CERTAIN PEOPLE WERE APPARENTLY NOT, DANIEL. You will back up what you said on your CV, WHICH SHOULD BE A TAD EASIER THAN IT HAS BEEN, BRENDA."

I bet Neil was wanking off when he posted this...

What he fails to mention is actual viewing figures, which were 92,000 & well down on the peak of 174,000 he got last week.

Again, he's comparing GBN's 'flagship political discussion show' presented by a big hitter, who has over 1m followers on twitter, with the rolling news output on the BBC & Sky at the same time, hardly a fair comparison. I doubt he'll be comparing his figures with the likes of Question Time & Preston on ITV.

Besides, a one hour show, four times a week, doesn't make a channel, why no mention of the crash in viewing figures across the rest of the schedule?

Michael Sheen. He does all kinds.
I have been enjoying his performanceas a serial killer/doting father in the TV series Prodigal Son, rumoured to have been cancelled but being touted round the networks to persuade someone else to take it on. It's very good.

so not the voice of the working class :)

The whole ABC1 -v- C2DEs is not as clear cut as some believe.

Most Britons (57%) are in the ABC1 category, with C2DEs making up the remaining 43%. Yet ask Britons what class they are and you are more likely to hear “working class” (51%) than “middle class” (39%). Some 1% of Britons consider themselves upper class, and the remainder don’t know.

In terms of overlap, the results show that barely half of ABC1s (51%) consider themselves middle class, while 41% identify as working class.

The C2DE label corresponds more closely, but even so, fewer than two thirds (65%) of people in this group consider themselves working class. A quarter (24%) believe themselves to be middle class.

A3Port_bd57d8be-203b-475b-993c-4ec15c41e7ee_1024x1024@2x.jpg

The whole ABC1 -v- C2DEs is not as clear cut as some believe.
All the same, if something's strongly ABC1 (although I've not seen the figures for myself), then it is not dominated by the working class.

Although I'm not sure if anyone was expecting that out of GB News anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom