Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

GB News: a thread so you never have to watch it

So if they’re not expecting to make any money and their motivation is ‘political’ what do you think that’s about? I think it’s still all about money, ie profit, just like bezos buying Washington post, he has probably just calculated a chance worth taking that he can use it to reduce future tax legislation by shifting opinion just a bit in a way that is useful for him. So still profit, nothing else, just indirectly. Not some more interesting evil plan if you know what I mean.

Interesting take, but do you seriously think the main backers, particularly the Saudis and Discovery, are actually paying much, if any taxes in the UK anyway?

Ha
Sadly, that's last week's news, and several brands that paused their advertising last week have now lifted that pause.

The main point is, these brands never actually selected & booked airtime on GBNews, they just ended-up on there, because 'Sky Media' placed them on GBN without their knowledge.

But, this has already been discussed at length on this thread.

Sadly, that's last week's news, and several brands that paused their advertising last week have now lifted that pause.

The main point is, these brands never actually selected & booked airtime on GBNews, they just ended-up on there, because 'Sky Media' placed them on GBN without their knowledge.

But, this has already been discussed at length on this thread.
Oh. Yes I haven’t read the thread. Am not that interested tbh. This channel can’t do much new harm can it, in a country where daily Mail & telegraph are so popular.

So if they’re not expecting to make any money and their motivation is ‘political’ what do you think that’s about? I think it’s still all about money, ie profit, just like bezos buying Washington post, he has probably just calculated a chance worth taking that he can use it to reduce future tax legislation by shifting opinion just a bit in a way that is useful for him. So still profit, nothing else, just indirectly. Not some more interesting evil plan if you know what I mean.

I think they are just getting their ducks in a row ahead of time - even if the climate doesn't fall over or the economy tank (because of Brexit, the pandemic, their competence or all three) before the next election they're still going to have been in charge for fifteen years at that point. The papers are slowly circling the drain and this is the only option they have left (or at least the only option that generates jobs for them).

It's rather amusing/sad/hatstand to see how far Andrew Neil has fallen. Once the smiter of the political elite, even gaining some plaudits among naive americans for his confrontation with Ben Shapiro. Denuded of the mantle of the BBC and its reputation, ironically, he's reduced to sitting in front of a tiny desk ranting at pablum. "Woke Watch", it'ss a far cry from holding the leaders of the major parties to account prior to a general election.
It seems perfectly in character to me tbh. He was a shit at the Sunday Times and he's been a shit since - his brief foray into pretending he was some sort of journalist, proving it to himself by very occasionally shooting a Tory fish in a barrel (and the rest of the time being a shit) didn't work out for him given that even that was too much for them, so back to being a shit full time.

I think they are just getting their ducks in a row ahead of time - even if the climate doesn't fall over or the economy tank (because of Brexit, the pandemic, their competence or all three) before the next election they're still going to have been in charge for fifteen years at that point. The papers are slowly circling the drain and this is the only option they have left (or at least the only option that generates jobs for them).
Who is the They in this ?

It seems perfectly in character to me tbh. He was a shit at the Sunday Times and he's been a shit since - his brief foray into pretending he was some sort of journalist, proving it to himself by very occasionally shooting a Tory fish in a barrel (and the rest of the time being a shit) didn't work out for him given that even that was too much for them, so back to being a shit full time
AN was actually a force for good at the ST and has earned his spurs as a great reporter ever since.

It seems perfectly in character to me tbh. He was a shit at the Sunday Times and he's been a shit since - his brief foray into pretending he was some sort of journalist, proving it to himself by very occasionally shooting a Tory fish in a barrel (and the rest of the time being a shit) didn't work out for him given that even that was too much for them, so back to being a shit full time.
He was but it was hidden behind the BBC veneer. Now he's thrown that aside and revealed himself

Ignoring the balance, or lack of; it's funny with all the mistakes and ineptitude, especially as the main person is known for being pompous.

Some viewing figures for last week -

GB News’ first full week averaged 50,000/0.7% in the 6am-2am all-time period and 70,000/0.5% in peak (6pm-12am). This put it fractionally behind Sky News’ all-time weekly average (52,000/0.7%) in volume but ahead of its peak average (63,000/0.5%).

Conversely, it was over 40% short of BBC News in all-time (92,000/1.2%) and peak (121,000/0.9%).

The Andrew Neil Show on Monday was viewed by 154,000/0.9%, and it certainly seems it's his show that is bumping up the average figures both at peak time, and across the day.

Now it's worth noting that these figures are the average for the launch week, and they had some big drops after Monday, e.g. Andrew Neil on Tuesday was down to just 72,000 (0.4%), although probably bounced back a bit on Wednesday, because of the Sunak interview.

Sadly 'Broadcast Now' doesn't give much information on how different programmes performed across the week, but this gem below is likely to be reflected across schedule.

GB News’ Dewbs & Co debuted with 135,000/0.9% over two hours – by Friday it had slipped to 42,000/0.3%.

Two-thirds of the audience disappeared in just 5-days. :D

So, the averages next week should be down by a fair bit, compared to these. :thumbs:

ETA - Just spotted the 'Top 50 Non-PSB programmes - 14 - 20 June' figures at the foot of that article, and Sky News does have a couple of programmes that beats even Neil's flagship show, such as:

THE DAILY CLIMATE SHOW.....Mon18.30308,3001.98%Sky News
NEWS HOUR - MARK AUSTINMon17.00235,7002.00%Sky News

Last edited:
I wonder that besides people from their non-target audience getting bored at laughing at the mistakes and not watching anymore, and their target demographic is not that interested in the news at all, they can get all their news from their mate Dave on the facebooks who is telling it like it is.
Why watch any news when you just know a bunch of lefties are going to ban [Whatever] , plus GBN needs to keep some sense of balance, to try and keep OFCOM sweet. If the went full Fox News they would sanctioned.

very few mistakes half way through week 2. When they happen presenters get annoyed on air - pressure on production staff now.

The mistakes in the first week were just funny, ironing out those problems are not going to help them much, it's the contents, or rather lack of contents, that is their main problem, the novelty of opinionated twats mouthing off will soon die off.

I forecast some sort of re-launch in the next few weeks.

It's still novel - imagine people on tv news not pretending to have home counties accents, and not shaping every sentence to make sure you won't be cancelled by their peers.

I used to enjoy McCoy on the BBC. so I thought I would dip in and give him & Phillips another go, oh dear.

They came out of the ads just after 4 pm, and neither of their mics were turned-up, then went to one of their reporters on the ground, that you could hardly hear initially, just gone to one in Scotland, and he's far louder than the studio, and the same with their London reporter, FFS, sorting out sound levels is such basic stuff, yet 10 days in, and it's still all over the bloody place.

Back
Top Bottom