Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

GB News: a thread so you never have to watch it

GB News has since widened its reach to a radio station and on-demand. It has relied on clips being spliced up to be shared on social media and has touted “billions” of digital views.

In an interview with Press Gazette, the news network claimed that TikTok was one of their most popular platforms, where it has more than 200,000 followers. Yet in comparison, a TikTok account of a British man feeding his pet seagull currently has 3.2 million.

You can’t help but wonder whether, as the channel is reaching its first anniversary, it is matching its expectations.

:D

“Neil Oliver has spotted a gap in the market now that Alex Jones’ fall from grace is complete”.

Discuss…

BARB figures are quoted for TV viewing figures, only the monthly figures are now published for the public to see, for radio it's RAJAR and they report quarterly, with Q1 2022 figures out today, which includes GB News Radio that started testing in December and was officially launched on 4th January. Apparently they have been boasting this morning about their 239k listeners and 1.5m listening hours.

But, that listeners figure is just their average monthly 'reach', in comparison they had an average monthly 'reach' of 2.15m for their TV service in April, so it's just over 10% of the TV reach, and we know how that translates into low figures at any given point time, i.e. peaking around just 80-100k in the evenings.

Here's how that compares to the other talk stations, needless to say Radios 4 & 5 are at the top, the two LBC stations are next, but they have the benefit of LBC being on FM & LBC News on AM in the London area, as well as being on DAB nationally.

Probably a fairer comparison is Times Radio, TalkRadio & GBN Radio, as those three are only on DAB, and GBN Radio is well behind the other two in terms of 'reach', 'total hours' of listening and 'listening share', so in a nutshell, fuck all to boast about. :D

All Individuals 15+ for period ending March 2022
Station/GroupPopulation 000sReach 000sReach PercentTotal Hours 000sListening Share %
BBC Radio 4
55675​
10604​
19​
120720​
11.9​
BBC Radio 5 live
55675​
5560​
10​
32890​
3.2​
LBC (Leading Britain's Conversation)
55675​
2738​
5​
28809​
2.9​
LBC News
55675​
1057​
2​
2697​
0.3​
Times Radio
55675​
703​
1​
3644​
0.4​
talkRADIO
55675​
650​
1​
5732​
0.6​
GB News Radio
55675​
239​
0​
1513​
0.1​

They've found another campaign - to stick the boot into Black Lives Matter

I was not aware of the issue specifically, so I Googled, and The Voice came out blazing

However the comments from readers are interesting at the end, including one which appears to be from an old Urban 75 favourite

Posted on 2nd March 2022 | Vincent Atkins
The Police investigation in to Lee Jasper and the way he handed out money, found he wasn’t corrupt, just staggeringly incompetent.

Which I guess was to be expected.

Anybody fancy Andrew Neil slagging off both the BBC and GB News it's about 20 minutes into this one hour internet TV "Speccy" package

Grimes proving he's still a massive wanker, just a couple of days after the anniversary of Sarah Everard’s murder, he will be masturbating debating whether women have too many rights! And, just look at how he signs off this tweet! :mad:

A couple of replies...

Liked for the replies. 🙂
...But why do these celibates make life miserable for other people?
Incel/Volcel*. Potayto/Potahto. Dismal, miserable wankers who just want to make life as bleak for everyone else as it is for them...

* Your mileage may vary, necessary "not all etc" clause invoked....

They've found another campaign - to stick the boot into Black Lives Matter

I was not aware of the issue specifically, so I Googled, and The Voice came out blazing

However the comments from readers are interesting at the end, including one which appears to be from an old Urban 75 favourite

Posted on 2nd March 2022 | Vincent Atkins
The Police investigation in to Lee Jasper and the way he handed out money, found he wasn’t corrupt, just staggeringly incompetent.

Which I guess was to be expected.

That article is from February and is saying BLM are late filing accounts.....Fella on GB News is this month and seems to be citing specific payments so I'd guess BLM have, in the meantime filed the accounts.as they are obliged to

That article is from February and is saying BLM are late filing accounts.....Fella on GB News is this month and seems to be citing specific payments so I'd guess BLM have, in the meantime filed the accounts.as they are obliged to
I thought the problem was the co-founder had bought expensive properties for relatives.
Unfortunately I don't know the US or California state equivalent of the Charity Commission so can't confirm or deny whether they have now filed the accounts.

Edited to include this from the BBC a year ago - Patrisse Cullors: Black Lives Matter co-founder resigns

Last edited:
Let's not forget the extremely strange story about the BLM accounts that were run by two White Aussie union organisers as well. With no evidence that they would've given any money to BLM.

I flicked onto GBN during the adverts on what I was watching, to find Lembit Öpik saying that climate change science was bollocks, and we should start digging our own coal again.

Then there's this shocker, WTF!

When Andrew Neil quit GB News, he was worried it was turning into a “Ukip tribute band”. The channel now appears to be straying into much darker territory.

Appearing on GB News this week was Robin Tilbrook, head of the far-right English Democrats party. He was invited onto the programme of the Tory MPs Esther McVey and Philip Davies. There, he was given a soft-soap interview about his policy to remove England from the United Kingdom.

It was a PR coup for Tilbrook. His TV hit gave him the chance to whitewash his reputation as the head of a party that welcomed former BNP members into its ranks. At one point in his party’s history, Tilbrook estimated that one in ten members of the English Democrats once belonged to the BNP.
McVey and Davies did not mention — let alone challenge — Tilbrook on his views. They didn’t ask why Tilbrook denounced the Jewish financier George Soros for his “evil record and baneful influence”. They didn’t ask why, according to his manifesto, he wants to re-educate Muslim community leaders, as well as preachers from “other religions causing concern”.

They didn’t ask why Tilbrook frequently shares the “great replacement” conspiracy theory, which claims that shadowy elites are organising the migration of Asians and Africans into Europe to threaten the existence of white people.

They certainly didn’t ask him why he’s promoting a book written by Nick Griffin, former head of the BNP, which rails against “the baneful influence of Talmudic racism and Zionism on the body politic of the West”.

Interesting to see old frog-face getting beaten in the ratings for GBN last night for the first time ever, by both Wootton and Steyn, that's going to hurt his ego. :D

2n.png

In an unusual twist, Nigel Farage finally dipped below his GB News colleagues, with both Dan Wootton and Mark Steyn beating him last night. Farage pulled in 62,900, with Wootton getting 67,300. Farage is usually at the top of the pile and is considered GB News’ box office king.

Even Brillo said as much last week on SpectatorTV, when he suggested Murdoch should put a bid in for Farage to jump ship and suck in viewers for the ailing TalkTV. At one point pointing out how slotting Farage in Newton Dunn’s slot might give Piers a well-needed leg up an hour later – poor Tom… LINK

Have I missed something and GBN is now part of Bauer or something? Adverts are getting quite commonplace on absolute and I might need to change my background work station

Have I missed something and GBN is now part of Bauer or something? Adverts are getting quite commonplace on absolute and I might need to change my background work station
Dunno what Bauer is or what you're on about, but Bauer mentioned GB News on their website in 2021 and forecast it would "do well" with Andrew Neil at the helm

Isn't this some bloke's blog that happens to be about the two media companies?
From the website it looked like they offer paid-for subscriptions to stuff like Scala Radio with no adverts.
Seems a bit odd that one - we still have Radio 3 - just.

Dunno what Bauer is or what you're on about, but Bauer mentioned GB News on their website in 2021 and forecast it would "do well" with Andrew Neil at the helm

Bauer is the second largest radio group in the UK, after Global, their stations include Absolute, Scala, Hits, Greatest Hits, Kiss, Magic, Planet Rock, Kerrang Radio and Jazz FM, they also sell advertising on behalf most of the few independent radio stations left.

I see they have recently added GB News Radio to their list of 'partner stations', so they have started selling airtime on it, which surprises me, I didn't think they would be interested in talking on a talk station, as it doesn't fit in with any of their packages, i.e. the other partner stations are all bundled up and sold as part of the 'Hits' or 'Greatest Hits' networks.

Back
Top Bottom