Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

GB News: a thread so you never have to watch it

I watched a bit of gb news on Easter Sunday they were pushing England is basically a Christian nation message next breath the Rwanda plan is a good thing because we have had enough:hmm:.

now I'm a filthy woke athiest* :D

* well compared to whoever is behind GB news anyways and I always assumed Christianity involved charity to the less well off the good samaritan didn't involve g4s and shipping the stranger to Rwanda :hmm:

I watched a bit of gb news on Easter Sunday they were pushing England is basically a Christian nation message next breath the Rwanda plan is a good thing because we have had enough:hmm:.

now I'm a filthy woke athiest* :D

* well compared to whoever is behind GB news anyways and I always assumed Christianity involved charity to the less well off the good samaritan didn't involve g4s and shipping the stranger to Rwanda :hmm:
I agree with your point basically - but just to say all religions "fall short". Even the saintly Buddhists - Myanmar and the Rohingya, Cambodia massacres, Sri Lanka more sectarian massacres.

I was just 8 feet away from Dan Wooton in an otherwise deserted Aldwych. I have my 9 year old with me so was unable to engage as desired. She wouldn’t have liked it.

I can report that he walks like he’s shit his pants. So there is that.
For getting my message across to the local Tory mayor I hiss at him in public
You can’t be arrested for hissing

A few weeks ago I was having dinner with friends who it turns out are best mates with Dan's parents. Apparently he was a lovely but intense and driven lad.

TalkTV is planning their own version of HIGNFY, although it's not yet featuring in their schedule, and I've just become aware that those creative & original thinkers ;)
at GBN decided to get in first with a spoiler, and launched the 'Ministry Of Offence' last Saturday.

First week all four guests were allegedly comedians, they must have overspent on their budget, because the second week 2 out of the 4 so-called guests were GBN staffers. :D

They claim the teams are from the 'left' and 'right' of the political spectrum, but their definition of 'left' is very different to that understood by most people.

So, I took a peak, the opening graphics are a poor version of the HIGNFY ones, as is the format and set, the guests hopeless, as are the 'jokes', the tiny audience sounds like they are forced to laugh, probably by receiving an electrical shock at specific points, it's a horrific pound shop version, and guaranteed to fail spectacularly. :D

2h.png

Actually, as it's so clearly such a straight forward rip-off of the HIGNFY format, I do wonder if Hat Trick Productions could take legal action, because I am fairly sure there's some protection in respect of TV show formats, hence why they get licenced to overseas broadcasters. :hmm:

TalkTV is planning their own version of HIGNFY, although it's not yet featuring in their schedule, and I've just become aware that those creative & original thinkers ;)
at GBN decided to get in first with a spoiler, and launched the 'Ministry Of Offence' last Saturday.

First week all four guests were allegedly comedians, they must have overspent on their budget, because the second week 2 out of the 4 so-called guests were GBN staffers. :D

They claim the teams are from the 'left' and 'right' of the political spectrum, but their definition of 'left' is very different to that understood by most people.

So, I took a peak, the opening graphics are a poor version of the HIGNFY ones, as is the format and set, the guests hopeless, as are the 'jokes', the tiny audience sounds like they are forced to laugh, probably by receiving an electrical shock at specific points, it's a horrific pound shop version, and guaranteed to fail spectacularly. :D

View attachment 319860

Actually, as it's so clearly such a straight forward rip-off of the HIGNFY format, I do wonder if Hat Trick Productions could take legal action, because I am fairly sure there's some protection in respect of TV show formats, hence why they get licenced to overseas broadcasters. :hmm:
The set looks more suitable for Blaze TV - UFO and all-knowing-eye symbol etc.

View attachment 319860

That set hurts my eyes :eek:

I was just 8 feet away from Dan Wooton in an otherwise deserted Aldwych. I have my 9 year old with me so was unable to engage as desired. She wouldn’t have liked it.

I can report that he walks like he’s shit his pants. So there is that.
Not quite as bad as a couple of friends who were sat for an hour about two meters away from Kelvin Mackenzie, easily within spitting distance. Unfortunately they were in the Question Time audience so would have been swiftly ejected, although probably still worth it.

I bring you a rather technical concern here.
A few days back Darren Grimes had a threesome with Gavin Ashenden and Rev James Treasure.
Purpose of the conversation (from GB News point of view) was to slag off the Archbishop of Canterbury for being "too pollical" or as we used to say "politically correct".

Dr Ashenden is always introduced as "former Queen's Chaplain". In GB News' eyes he is now a former Bishop (of the Continuing Anglican Church - a US break-away church which does not acknowledge women priests).

Ashenden is a paid up Brexit party adherent and Farage fan.
Rev James Treasure - an Oxford evangelical clergy team-leader, presumably put there for balance.

I don't think it right that GB News introduce right wing pundits as "Bishop" when they bishop of a misogynist splinter group.

The other extraordinary thing was Darren Grimes started bashing the Archbishop of Canterbury for closing all the churches during Covid. HE (Darren Grimes) has to go to a Catholic church to receive communion, because his church was shut.

That is a pretty odd thing to say actually. The Catholic Church are not in communion with the Anglican church for the very good reason that "communion" means totally different things in those churches.

Apart from which - did Catholic churches not shut during Covid? Frankly any Catholic priest who saw Darren Grimes mincing down the aisle to take communion should have given him guidance.

I don't believe Darren Grimes ever took communion either in an Anglican or Catholic church for the last 10 years - never mind covid. He is just stirring the pot in the usual GB News/Boris Johnson kind of way.

I bring you a rather technical concern here.
A few days back Darren Grimes had a threesome with Gavin Ashenden and Rev James Treasure.
Purpose of the conversation (from GB News point of view) was to slag off the Archbishop of Canterbury for being "too pollical" or as we used to say "politically correct".

Dr Ashenden is always introduced as "former Queen's Chaplain". In GB News' eyes he is now a former Bishop (of the Continuing Anglican Church - a US break-away church which does not acknowledge women priests).

Ashenden is a paid up Brexit party adherent and Farage fan.
Rev James Treasure - an Oxford evangelical clergy team-leader, presumably put there for balance.

I don't think it right that GB News introduce right wing pundits as "Bishop" when they bishop of a misogynist splinter group.

The other extraordinary thing was Darren Grimes started bashing the Archbishop of Canterbury for closing all the churches during Covid. HE (Darren Grimes) has to go to a Catholic church to receive communion, because his church was shut.

That is a pretty odd thing to say actually. The Catholic Church are not in communion with the Anglican church for the very good reason that "communion" means totally different things in those churches.

Apart from which - did Catholic churches not shut during Covid? Frankly any Catholic priest who saw Darren Grimes mincing down the aisle to take communion should have given him guidance.

I don't believe Darren Grimes ever took communion either in an Anglican or Catholic church for the last 10 years - never mind covid. He is just stirring the pot in the usual GB News/Boris Johnson kind of way.
KNOCK-KNOCK-KNOCK

"Darren, I've brought you a cup of tea, dear"

"Don't come in, Mum! Just leave it outside the door, I'm taking communion!"

As a PS, they even try to copy the camera positioning, but can you spot the different?

View attachment 319868View attachment 319870

...the audience size. :D

It'll be great to see if they manage to sustain any significant audience at all. Only a complete loser would genuinely consider a top night out to be going to watch a recording of Ministry Of Offence for a fringe Murdoch news channel.

It'll be great to see if they manage to sustain any significant audience at all. Only a complete loser would genuinely consider a top night out to be going to watch a recording of Ministry Of Offence for a fringe Murdoch news channel.

<cough, it's GB News, not TalkTV>

The audience is probably just staff press-ganged into it TBH

Calvin Robinson is the only person I can tolerate on GBNews. I really can't stand Dan Wootton. He just goes on and on and on about the same thing - Covid and lockdown.

CH1 I believe that if you haven't been baptised in a Catholic Church, you can't take Communion. Anglican Church is more inclusive.
The first bit is true. Except in case of "Extreme Unction" (ie on your deathbed).
I took communion in Notre Dame, Paris (the one which has burnt down)

It was 1997 and I was on weekend leave from inpatient psychiatric treatment for bipolar II. I was intensely moved by the Notre Dame service - I believe they even had organ works by Olivier Messiaen which heightened the atmosphere (for me) even more. I believed that the presiding priests invited all to the sacrament (in French).

Anyway I was telling a friend about this a couple of years later, knowing he was a Catholic, but not appreciating he was actually pretty devout. "That's monstrous" he said.
"What you mean taking communion when you don't believe in transubstantiation?"
"Think about it - you were defiling the sacrament. You should have thought about the others - not yourself."
He simply did not believe all had been invited to take communion - and neither do I in retrospect. I think they may have invited all to say the Lord's Prayer in their own language - quite a normal thing to do in the context.

As regards the Anglican Church - I think they allow people to take communion if they can take communion in their own church (for Methodists, United Reformed etc). This does imply some sort of preparation or confirmation.

The first bit is true. Except in case of "Extreme Unction" (ie on your deathbed).
I took communion in Notre Dame, Paris (the one which has burnt down)

It was 1997 and I was on weekend leave from inpatient psychiatric treatment for bipolar II. I was intensely moved by the Notre Dame service - I believe they even had organ works by Olivier Messiaen which heightened the atmosphere (for me) even more. I believed that the presiding priests invited all to the sacrament (in French).

Anyway I was telling a friend about this a couple of years later, knowing he was a Catholic, but not appreciating he was actually pretty devout. "That's monstrous" he said.
"Think about it - you were defiling the sacrament. You should have thought about the others - not yourself."
He simply did not believe all had been invited to take communion - and neither do I in retrospect. I think they may have invited all to say the Lord's Prayer in their own language - quite a normal thing to do in the context.

As regards the Anglican Church - I think they allow people to take communion if they can take communion in their own church (for Methodists, United Reformed etc). This does imply some sort of preparation or confirmation.
Funny that. I suffer from bipolar I disorder and the first time I became 'involved' with religion was also during psychotic episodes. I also lived in Paris and started the catechumenat to become baptised in the Catholic Church. I was rather unwell at the time and became super religious. I remember going to a Church near St Lazare area where I worked. One day I went up to the priest asking for a blessing (rather than take Communion) as I hadn't been baptised. I believe a blessing is often given in the Anglican Church as an alternative to taking Communion. The Catholic priest hadn't a clue what I was going on about and abruptly told me to go away. On another occasion, I went to confession and was told by Catholic priest that I couldn't be forgiven as I had not been baptised. See what I mean? Very exclusive. When I returned to the UK, I went to a local Anglican Church and our local priest would always say all are welcome at the table of Christ whether baptised or not. I suppose in the Anglican Church it depends on each Church and the priest. Whether it's high church or not.

My ex's brother is a Catholic priest and he said that you should not take Communion if you are not baptised in the Catholic faith, apparently.

Defiling the sacrament is probably ok if no one notices.

Back
Top Bottom