Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Funding crsis in Schools

Bingoman

Head teachers in the next few months are looking make staff redundant across the board meaning kids are find much tougher with their education and also looks like they might reduce the school day(s) in a bid to reduce cost

Head teachers in the next few months are looking make staff redundant across the board meaning kids are find much tougher with their education and also looks like they might reduce the school day(s) in a bid to reduce cost

Given that school budgets are already pared to the bone, I can only see this as being catastrophic.

Fortunately schools can't recruit or retain staff anyway. I'm currently getting roughly one email alert for new vacancies per day, and that's just for secondary science jobs in a 50 mile radius in a not very densely populated part of the country. A part of the country which until recently was the only region that didn't have a teacher recruitment crisis.

Teachers fucking off without even working their six week notice period is also becoming pretty common. These are people who don't give a shit that they won't get a reference for future teaching jobs because they know they're never going back.

I've called it before, education is approaching collapse. And with it the public health and social work that schools have been doing alongside teaching because public health and social work have also been crippled.

I teach secondary-age kids. Some have never seen a dentist. Without the breakfast and lunch they get at school, many would be at risk of not just malnutrition but starvation.

One school where I went for an interview had water pouring in through the roof in every classroom. Portakabins, a 'temporary' measure which had been there for a quarter of a century, with holes in the walls you could stick your arm through from outside. This in a town where no house is for sale for less than £300,000.

I'll stop now, but for sanity reasons not for want of material.

Even up to a couple of years ago, I'd be asking "how can people allow this to go on?". It's not that I've found an answer, simply that there's no point asking the question. The fact is that people do and will allow this to go on. The fact that Johnson's excesses seemed immune to widespread public outrage, the fact that, even after 4 years of Trump in the US, there are still a vast group prepared to support him, and the Republicans...fuck, the fact that the UK population hasn't risen up in insurrection is how they are able to carry on like this.

And I don't see much sign of a fundamental shift in that. If there's one thing I might have hoped, it was that when they "came for our children" (to misquote Niemoller), enough of the populace would be saying "OK, that's enough. No more."

But they haven't. And I am as much a part of that as anybody - this is not fingerpointing, just unalloyed dismay.

People feel powerless and lack agency indivdually, coupled with a transactional, indivdualist approach to politics and a general atomisation of society. Those lucky enough to have a job are exahusted keeping it, and those without work or unable to work are subject to the hell of universal credit, and struggling desperately to survive, amidst a general air of administrative contempt and hatred towards them.

No one really believes in a better future anymore (at least no one I know) and believe that the political course is set regardless of who the PM or governing party may be.

Unalloyed dismay just about captures it.

People feel powerless and lack agency indivdually, coupled with a transactional, indivdualist approach to politics and a general atomisation of society. Those lucky enough to have a job are exahusted keeping it, and those without work or unable to work are subject to the hell of universal credit, and struggling desperately to survive, amidst a general air of administrative contempt and hatred towards them.

No one really believes in a better future anymore (at least no one I know) and believe that the political course is set regardless of who the PM or governing party may be.

Unalloyed dismay just about captures it.
I'm feeling quite cheerful today, with the sun and that. The most you can hope for in the future is to die before things get really shit. How I miss those halcyon days just after the fall of the Berlin Wall when for a few months it looked like things would turn out fine

Schools & education in general have been having a funding crisis for decades now, this is just another turn of the screws ...

OH took early retirement {then did loads of EOTAS and supply work} the best part of two decdes ago !
Despite being fully retired now, still getting frequent emails from the various agencies {was secondary school Physics, maths, science ...}

Schools & education in general have been having a funding crisis for decades now, this is just another turn of the screws ...

OH took early retirement {then did loads of EOTAS and supply work} the best part of two decdes ago !
Despite being fully retired now, still getting frequent emails from the various agencies {was secondary school Physics, maths, science ...}
Whatever happened to 'the children are the future'? What sort of future is in store for the children in today's schools?

Back
Top Bottom