Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French magazine publishes controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad - many killed in revenge attack

What gets me about these horrific acts of religious fanatics is that there is no God, or Allah or whatever. Its all a big fucking waste of time - all this carnage and hate for nothing

I think you're missing a fundamental point here, which is that if people are oppressed or feel oppressed, then they will often follow the most obvious route to coming together with others to fight oppression. Sometimes that'll be religion, sometimes it'll be politics. Sometimes it'll be a mixture of both. This isn't about whether Jehovah/Yahweh/Allah exists, it's about a part of your social identity that allows you to come together with like-minded people in order to take action. We know from research on "suicide attackers" (Robert Pape's "Dying to WIn" being a very good summary of 4 decades of data) that most of them, of whatever religion, haven't been devout, they've for the most part been people who belonged to a religion, but didn't have it as the or even a primary factor in their lives. What tended to/tends to motivate them isn't faith, it's strategic and tactical thinking.

The price we pay when we offend the powerful or the violent is much higher than with others, we must accept this, we must also accept others will not be willing to stick their necks out and will blame us for upsetting the status quo which is in fact a steady decline in our rights.

And those people will be among the first to whine when their rights are reduced to even less of a semblance of freedom than they are now. That's always been the way.

Attack at Trocadero, paris reports now say.

edit. unconfirmed

edit2: Briefly flashed up on my Bloomberg terminal. Now been removed

Last edited:
The one where far from sucking up to her (how?) the publicly attacked her and called her out as an authoritarian hypocrite prepared to go after the weak and those with relatively little social power - and a direct comment on their own previous attack on the NF for calling her a monkey and putting forward the same sort of representation of the far rights fears and idea of black women being monkeys as in the other one misread above:
B6zAolgIUAA5mbY.jpg:large

That is the NF logo) and it's being suggested that the Rassemblement bleu Marine set up by the NF and that published the Minute magazine where the monkey calling started is a racist gathering that thinks of black people as monkeys. They even put out a statement at the time making it clear that they were attacking the far right (however clumsily).

That's two anti-racist attacks on racists that have been mis-interpreted as racist.

This was her yesterday btw:

Thanks for your explanations about the context BA. I think it's interesting that they still needed to put out the statement. Perhaps my own personal experiences and lack of knowledge of the magazine/context has made me over-sensitive as even now I am still angered by it and would struggle to defend it to others tbh. I wonder if the cartoonist and magazine would have understood my feelings on this and whether they would have actually cared?

btw what happened to the 18 year old suspect who turned himself in, last I heard his mates were saying he was at school when this all took place

Back
Top Bottom