Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French magazine publishes controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad - many killed in revenge attack

Yeah the brave,brave resistance fighters that stood up to the agressive,oppressive cartoonists and journalists that were armed to the teeth with pointy pencils and razor sharp wit.:facepalm:
I'm not praising them. I think you missed the point of my comparison.

baffling as to why they were masked? planning an other attack?

Several possible reasons:

1) makes use of facial recognition software impossible.
2) makes identifying skin colour impossible.
3) means you can pretty much get lost in a crowd once you de-mask (who's going to notice another male wearing black in Paris?)

Yes, I think American extremists provide a good parallel. However the extreme Christian Right have arguable traction in the USA none whatsoever in Europe and are opposed and laughed at by other Christians. It sometimes seems as if fundamentalist Islam is harder to oppose within the Muslim community than it's Christian counterparts. I say 'seems' because I'm not in anyway certain it is and it's prob unfair.

Moslems I'm acquainted with would probably just shrug. Except that I don't raise the question because I see no reason to force them to apologise for shit they didn't do.

But those same people tell friends of mine that they're friends with that the idiots are, er, idiots.

It's the same with demanding that Black people denounce Black idiots. The number of times I've been told "don't tell any white people I said this but..." :D Think about the specifics of marginalised communities...

But I'm not aware of mass Muslim anti-islamicfascist opposition in Europe ready to deride fundamentalism. And it's hard to blame anyone - who would want stick their heads above the parapet?

And you are aware of mass Christian opposition to the militia loons in the US?

Why should Moslems have to do that as Moslems?

not too keen on mm but rather less so on sp

Only one way to resolve this

19_harryhillfight.gif

Moslems I'm acquainted with would probably just shrug. Except that I don't raise the question because I see no reason to force them to apologise for shit they didn't do.

But those same people tell friends of mine that they're friends with that the idiots are, er, idiots.

It's the same with demanding that Black people denounce Black idiots. The number of times I've been told "don't tell any white people I said this but..." :D Think about the specifics of marginalised communities...

i do hope we're not going to have that moslem / muslim argument again

He considers himself a cultural christian and a modern day crusader.

He didn't target muslims - he didn't even go around trying to recruit Christians with his manifesto, it was sent to people with nationalist leanings, rather than Christian.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that he wouldn't have been too hot on bible scripture.

When stuff like this happens I think about the gunmen or their accomplices. Like, where are they, now, are they together, who else knows. It's probably not that easy to dispose of Kalashnikovs and a rocket launcher. Do they live in Paris or somewhere else? Anyway I bet they are shitting themselves and they will be for years if they are not caught.

Most assault rifles, including AKs, disassemble into parts no longer than about 40cm, or less than the length of a standard sports holdall. As for the rocket launcher, if it was an RPG, it's difficult to dismantle enough to make it portable in a holdall, but there are plenty of single-use launchers on the market that are telescopic, and fit into a holdall.
The hardest thing to get rid of would be the smell of burnt powder until they change their clothes, but I've no doubt they were out of their "uniforms" within minutes of leaving the building.

Criticise it constructively if you like and if you really know about it, but what purpose is served by hate?
I hate the tories. What purpose does that serve? Dunno. But I do.

And saying how and under what circumstances it should be permissible to criticise Islam is falling into the trap of giving some tiny amount of justification to this kind of attack. This paper mocked Islam. That's why these people were killed. I think it's crucial to be very clear that they should be allowed to mock away at whatever ideas they damn well please.

And why should it be constructive?

Why?

Once they were away from the scene, dumping the car and the weapons and hiding-up somewhere would be a piece of piss.

They didn't do a good job with the car...the police found the car hours ago...so it's only a matter of time once the men in white have spun the car.

Steve Bell tells BBC News channel: "We've got to stand up for the right to take the piss out of these monsters, these idiots, these fools, these posturing maniacs who strut around in their black gear as a kind of death cult trying to frighten us all."

wtf?! who exactly is he referring to?

He didn't target muslims - he didn't even go around trying to recruit Christians with his manifesto, it was sent to people with nationalist leanings, rather than Christian.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that he wouldn't have been too hot on bible scripture.
He targeted the youth away camp of the labour party. He saw the left as enabling muslim terrorism and being part of the jewish conspiracy. You clearly know nothing about the case so I'm out.

Good point, it's no one's fault other than those that did it and I'm not trying to hold anyone to a higher standard. I'm just wondering about the dynamics.

Back
Top Bottom