Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

France v Portugal

The slo-mo I watched clearly shows him punching the ball first???
Yes, no one is doubting that. I am not entirely clear what the regulations say if tge goalkeeper gets the ball first but his actions are still deemed as dangerous. The commentators seemed to say the rules allow for awarding a foul in such instances.

Didn't see very clearly what happened but any time a defender elbows an attacker there's a danger of giving a foul. Mind you a shoulder charge wouldn't have been much better because the ball was nowhere hear him.

Haha, he punched him in the face and then followed up with the elbow for good measure.

Like that wasn't a penalty.

Have to admit my fellow countrymen haven’t covered themselves in glory in the refereeing department in this tournament so far.
Just a dig , the Portuguese here were suspicious about a Spanish ref but he’s been good . If it was my team I’d say a penalty, the team I am supporting would say possibly correct but soft

Just a dig , the Portuguese here were suspicious about a Spanish ref but he’s been good . If it was my team I’d say a penalty, the team I am supporting would say possibly correct but soft
Funnily enough, as stereotypical national rivalries go, the French would actually have a more legitimate claim to concerns about bias. France has traditionally been viewed as the richer, more powerful neighbour to the north and is more resented than Portugal, at least by those people who subscribe to resenting neighbouring nations.

Portugal did well in that half ,kept the ball well both defensively and in attack . Lots of concentration compared to the kamikaze first hour against Germany . However this French team have an extra gear in them so fingers crossed .

Funnily enough, as stereotypical national rivalries go, the French would actually have a more legitimate claim to concerns about bias. France has traditionally been viewed as the richer, more powerful neighbour to the north and is more resented than Portugal, at least by those people who subscribe to resenting neighbouring nations.
Nobody likes the French

If France pull away from Portugal now, might Germany settle for a 1-0 defeat to avoid having to play England at Wembley? I really couldn't say.

Back
Top Bottom