Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Filth by name. . .

Ely residents have been complaining about kids riding electric and motor bikes round the streets for a while and asking why police aren’t doing anything about it. What did they expect them to do? There was no excuse for the rioting last night. What purpose does it serve destroying cars of people completely unrelated to the situation?

People shouldn't leave their shit lying around in public places.

Expensive lumps of metal. If you leave them out in the street, tough shit if they get fucked up. If I left my laptop out in the street, I’d have no right to be angry if it got stolen or smashed. Same with cars. Should be treated like litter.
Clearly the residents fault they can't afford driveways and garages...

Ely residents have been complaining about kids riding electric and motor bikes round the streets for a while and asking why police aren’t doing anything about it. What did they expect them to do?

They expected them to not kill anyone.

Time was they'd have known the area, known the kids and their families, could have maybe come up with some kind of middle ground somewhere between doing fuck all and chasing these kids to their deaths.

The main reason kids being reckless with bikes and scooters is a problem is that they're putting themselves at risk. Any police intervention that increases that risk is obviously based on shit priorities, on thinking more about these kids being a nuisance to the general public than them being an existential threat to themselves.

They expected them to not kill anyone.

Time was they'd have known the area, known the kids and their families, could have maybe come up with some kind of middle ground somewhere between doing fuck all and chasing these kids to their deaths.

The main reason kids being reckless with bikes and scooters is a problem is that they're putting themselves at risk. Any police intervention that increases that risk is obviously based on shit priorities, on thinking more about these kids being a nuisance to the general public than them being an existential threat to themselves.

I disagree with this, for two reasons.

Firstly there is a lot more effort in marketing and making available these sorts of things to kids nowadays - there are far more of them about on the roads so there is going to be more misuse of them.

Secondly, the cops not taking action solely because of the risk to the rider(s) nearly always results in more risks being taken by the riders, because they are incentivized to create risk in order to end a pursuit. I've no idea about South Wales, but down here it used to be a fairly regular thing that kids on mopeds would take their helmets off and go onto the pavement / into the oncoming lane because they thought this would cause the cops to break off the pursuit irrespective of what they had actually done.

Knowing that they can be (depending on the circumstances, with the more serious tactics reserved for the most serious crimes) chased, have a stinger thrown in their path, have the helicopter follow them around or even collided with by a traffic car has reduced in fewer pursuits of powered two wheelers, fewer crimes where they are used to carry out said crimes and ultimately fewer deaths of riders.

Secondly, the cops not taking action solely because of the risk to the rider(s) nearly always results in more risks being taken by the riders, because they are incentivized to create risk in order to end a pursuit. I've no idea about South Wales, but down here it used to be a fairly regular thing that kids on mopeds would take their helmets off and go onto the pavement / into the oncoming lane because they thought this would cause the cops to break off the pursuit irrespective of what they had actually done.

You're confusing, 'not taking action that's likely to create a bigger risk to the public' with, 'not taking any action at all'. You seem to share my opinion of option one.

Absolutely anyone with half a fucking brain knows you can't catch a bike or a scooter with a van in an urban area.

Samantha Lee, the former PC barred from ever being a PC again due to her botching of the Couzens exposure investigation, has hit back saying she's being made a scapegoat by the Met:

On the one hand, she's probably not wrong given the police history of hanging people out to dry when it suits them, on the other hand no-one else has had to answer for any systemic failures that allowed Couzens to flourish as a sex offender in plain sight and in uniform.

She still botched the investigation though, as I said before. I still find it astounding that there's no national database of serving police officers.

hmm even investigations would you tolerate a guy in a work place

who nick name was the rapist

more so if you job was dealing with vulnerable people

:hmm:

Samantha Lee, the former PC barred from ever being a PC again due to her botching of the Couzens exposure investigation, has hit back saying she's being made a scapegoat by the Met:

On the one hand, she's probably not wrong given the police history of hanging people out to dry when it suits them, on the other hand no-one else has had to answer for any systemic failures that allowed Couzens to flourish as a sex offender in plain sight and in uniform.

She still botched the investigation though, as I said before. I still find it astounding that there's no national database of serving police officers.

Not just her either is it? He had a nasty reputation and no doubt instead of taking it seriously his colleagues probably laughed a long with his actions as "office banter"

It fucking stinks.

Small but important point here;

Ebikes

An ebike is otherwise known as an e-assist bike, you must pedal it and the motor assists you.

The things you see Deliveroo guys zooming around on, bikes with motors added, that go by pushing a button even if you don’t pedal, they are electric motorbikes, and as such need a licence, tax, insurance, running lights, helmet and everything else a petrol motorcycle needs.

The police and papers seem to not know the difference between the two.

Serving Metropolitan Police officer, PC Callum Utley aged 24, who is attached to the West Area Command Unit covering Ealing, Hounslow and Hillingdon, has been charged with rape after an alleged off duty incident in Buckinghamshire in 2019.

20111224082822!Metropolitan_Police_Logo.png

PC Callum Utley, who has been suspended from duty, is due to appear at High Wycombe Magistrates’ Court on 25 May 2023.

wire-71398547-1685010660-70_634x950.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Serving Metropolitan Police officer PC Callum Utley has, through his legal representatives, indicated a not guilty plea to a single charge of rape allegedly committed between 1 July 2019 and 31 December 31 2019 in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, while he was off duty.

PC Callum Utley's case has now been sent to Aylesbury Crown Court for a plea and trial preparation hearing on 26 June 2023.

The Metropolitan Police are sorry ... again:

Mia Janin: Metropolitan Police admit losing evidence in teen suicide case

60485877-11031471-image-a-51_1658315981414.jpg

(Source: Family Handout)

20111224082822!Metropolitan_Police_Logo.png

Metropolitan Police spokesperson: "We are extremely sorry that these items have not yet been located and have apologised directly to Mia's family for the added distress this has caused."

I mean Jesus Christ on a pogostick this is really really basic stuff.

Each item is sealed in its bag to prevent cross-contamination.. All items are then put in a box to stop them getting lost or mixed up with other cases. All boxes are numbered with 1 of X, 2 of X etc as required. There's a list of all of evidence which lists everything and which box it's in..I mean, this is fricking obvious basic cataloguing that is not fucking difficult.

This is what the police has been doing for decades. They should know how to do this right by now.

DI Warren Arter has been fired for buying and distributing drugs in exchange for sex.

According to a Sun article (I won't link directly) he has been suspended from work on full-pay since 2017 (six and a half years), earning 60k a year.
Former Met detective chief inspector Mick Neville said after the hearing: “It is outrageous this case has taken so long to bring against him.”

DI Warren Arter has been fired for buying and distributing drugs in exchange for sex.

According to a Sun article (I won't link directly) he has been suspended from work on full-pay since 2017 (six and a half years), earning 60k a year.
I can't even roll my eyes on this one. I'd be wanting answers about why it's taken them so fucking long to fire him - even by their standards this has taken forever. I'd also want to know what criminal charges were brought against him, and if not why the fuck not.

Imagine losing your daughter to suicide, four months later your partner to cancer and then having to deal with the blathering incompetence of the police.
I was both angry and heartbroken for the poor poor man in equal measure. The actions (or lack thereof) of the police are pouring salt into the wounds of his grief.

Is it me or are they getting worse not better as 2023 progresses?

I mean Jesus Christ on a pogostick this is really really basic stuff.

Each item is sealed in its bag to prevent cross-contamination.. All items are then put in a box to stop them getting lost or mixed up with other cases. All boxes are numbered with 1 of X, 2 of X etc as required. There's a list of all of evidence which lists everything and which box it's in..I mean, this is fricking obvious basic cataloguing that is not fucking difficult.

This is what the police has been doing for decades. They should know how to do this right by now.
If they don't do it it is deliberate

That's so fricking exploitative. :mad:

Reactions: Ax^
Please Protect Abraham – Met failures/witness protection failures

A link to this BBC R4 series probably belongs here, about Abraham Badru, who bravely testified in a rape trial and was later murdered, having received death threats from associates of the criminals he helped send to jail. Abraham was utterly failed by any sort of witness protection and one of the biggest failings was on the part of the Met, both in terms of failure to take action and in record-keeping of what little action they did take. Or failure to produce such records in court.

In Hackney, 2007, 15 year old Abraham saves a stranger from a brutal attack. That split-second decision and act of astonishing bravery changes his life forever.

Journalist Sam Holder has been following Abraham's story for years. Together with Abraham's friends and family, they retrace how this young boy finds himself in fear of his own life.

This series explores the protections in place for witnesses of violent crimes, the obligations for witnesses to give evidence in court, and what can be done if someone feels their life is at risk.

It’s a long and slightly complicated story. He was never given a risk assessment. If you don’t want to listen to the whole thing, at least listen to episode 9, about the inquest, where the fatal inaction of the police is highlighted from about 6 minutes in:
Please Protect Abraham - 9. Inquest - BBC Sounds

Note how the DI (Jonathan Birks? Burkes?) giving written evidence ‘updates’ his first statement which conveniently downplayed the extent of police knowledge of the seriousness of Abraham’s risk before the trial - presumably having had his memory jogged when subsequently shown letters he wrote at the time. There are glaring omissions and contradictions: the officer says he never saw evidence of death threats but Abraham’s mother was there when he was shown the texts; the officer says Abraham declined special measures and opted to give evidence in open court but his mother said he was never given the option.

Also shocking is the police inaction later, when Abraham requests police assistance following acts of intimidation by associates of the criminals.

How can the Met deny it’s institutionally racist?

Please Protect Abraham – Met failures/witness protection failures

A link to this BBC R4 series probably belongs here, about Abraham Badru, who bravely testified in a rape trial and was later murdered, having received death threats from associates of the criminals he helped send to jail. Abraham was utterly failed by any sort of witness protection and one of the biggest failings was on the part of the Met, both in terms of failure to take action and in record-keeping of what little action they did take. Or failure to produce such records in court.

It’s a long and slightly complicated story. He was never given a risk assessment. If you don’t want to listen to the whole thing, at least listen to episode 9, about the inquest, where the fatal inaction of the police is highlighted from about 6 minutes in:
Please Protect Abraham - 9. Inquest - BBC Sounds

Note how the DI (Jonathan Birks? Burkes?) giving written evidence ‘updates’ his first statement which conveniently downplayed the extent of police knowledge of the seriousness of Abraham’s risk before the trial - presumably having had his memory jogged when subsequently shown letters he wrote at the time. There are glaring omissions and contradictions: the officer says he never saw evidence of death threats but Abraham’s mother was there when he was shown the texts; the officer says Abraham declined special measures and opted to give evidence in open court but his mother said he was never given the option.

Also shocking is the police inaction later, when Abraham requests police assistance following acts of intimidation by associates of the criminals.

How can the Met deny it’s institutionally racist?
It is institutionally mendacious, that's how

sir Mark Rowley winning friends and influencing people again, although this time he might have a point. It's estimated that the Met officers spent 1 million hours waiting with people to be seen by a healthcare professional last year, after 999 is called. This meant that only 30% of 999 calls were crime related.

He's said that the Met will no longer be responding to mental health calls, that the NHS can no longer dump that part of its work on police.

Will more funding be allocated to mental health services to help with this, I wonder? (Don't worry, I know the answer to this).

sir Mark Rowley winning friends and influencing people again, although this time he might have a point. It's estimated that the Met officers spent 1 million hours waiting with people to be seen by a healthcare professional last year, after 999 is called. This meant that only 30% of 999 calls were crime related.

He's said that the Met will no longer be responding to mental health calls, that the NHS can no longer dump that part of its work on police.

Will more funding be allocated to mental health services to help with this, I wonder? (Don't worry, I know the answer to this).
when state agencies argue between themselves about who's got the resources to save lives it seems fittingly emblematic of neoliberalism

the wait times will be longer kinda worry know more than one person who it was the police involvement that got the help

due to the response time

who picks the slack up

Don't know how that's going to work. People tend to call the police when someone is acting dangerously or weirdly in a public place (section 136) or if neighbors or people in a dwelling feel a person needs help (section 135). I did 5 years of acute admissions and had a lot of dealings with the police. a member of CRT is not going to be able legally to bring someone to a place of safety if they don't want to.

A tad ironic seeing that police themselves cause some people to have mental health issues.

Back
Top Bottom