Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

EU watch

It’s a thread about the EU , not a ‘only post problems caused by the EU ‘ . Read the op.

I read it. As I said nice to see you posting something positive about the EU.

I also replied to someone else saying that an issue had just been posted that was not caused by the EU.

"Please stop dumping shitty old clothes on us" doesn't sound very positive about the EU to me.

Thanks for proving my earlier point. Its clothes from countries that are members of the EU.

With the EU potentially passing a law to make it illegal for those countries to continue to do so.

Thanks for proving my earlier point. Its clothes from countries that are members of the EU.

With the EU potentially passing a law to make it illegal for those countries to continue to do so.

"Potentially" being the operative word here. Doesn't mean that they will actually do it, nor that any such laws passed will effectively address the problem. You're being awfully premature.

"Potentially" being the operative word here. Doesn't mean that they will actually do it, nor that any such laws passed will effectively address the problem. You're being awfully premature.

Don’t think you are following my point.

Regardless of whether the law is passed or not, or even if they had never even considered it. The issue isn’t caused by the EU.

Weird that you decided to focus on that bit of my reply.

With the dumping off shitty old clothes, the UK seems to be by far the worst offender among European nations - wonder what the chances are of the country deciding to adopt any EU-wide measures introduced to deal with the issue.

The UK alone shipped over $70m worth of used textiles to Ghana in 2020, accounting for close to 40 per cent of the country’s imports — and was the UK’s biggest export product to Ghana.

Don’t think you are following my point.

Regardless of whether the law is passed or not, or even if they had never even considered it. The issue isn’t caused by the EU.

Weird that you decided to focus on that bit of my reply.

I was called a cunt a few pages back for suggesting that hostility to immigration is not caused by the EU, in response to someone saying maybe it was good that Brexit won because the EU was doing some fortress Europe rhetoric. And they bluntly refused to explain where they were coming from and then doubled down on personal abuse. So... yeah.

Don't really understand this thread, I feel like there's some discourse that some posters are heavily invested in that I'm not fully understanding.

I was called a cunt a few pages back for suggesting that hostility to immigration is not caused by the EU, in response to someone saying maybe it was good that Brexit won because the EU was doing some fortress Europe rhetoric. And they bluntly refused to explain where they were coming from and then doubled down on personal abuse. So... yeah.

Don't really understand this thread, I feel like there's some discourse that some posters are heavily invested in that I'm not fully understanding.

To understand the thread you have to understand the rules.

First, it’s very important if you are “keeping an eye on the big project” to link to any article that is reporting on a negative issue on a country that is a member of the EU.

Of course it is not relevant whether the EU has any powers in that area, or even if its a negative in member countries that the EU is trying to have a positive effect on.

Second, its has to be an article from the Guardian, the anti-EU posters on this thread consume a lot of content from the Guardian, which is odd because they are often critical of it unless they have skim read an article that they see mentions the EU.

Third, its critical to ignore if the situation is worse in the UK, and especially if it has got worse since the UK left the EU or the issue was caused by the departure from the EU.

Fourth, and this is critical, it’s important to pretend that you didn’t understand what criticism people were making at any point or if facts were posted that pointed out the issue was nothing to do with the EU. See the silence in response to Yossarian above.

The thread just exists for the people that can’t accept that leaving the EU has been a bad decision for the UK, in order to make themselves feel better about it.

And its no surprise that at least one of them doesn’t live in the UK and the other loves Putin.

Last edited:
To understand the thread you have to understand the rules.

First, it’s very important if you are “keeping an eye on the big project” to link to any article that is reporting on a negative issue on a country that is a member of the EU.

Of course it is not relevant whether the EU has any powers in that area, or even if its a negative in member countries that the EU is trying to have a positive effect on.

Second, its has to be an article from the Guardian, the anti-EU posters on this thread consume a lot of content from the Guardian, which is odd because they are often critical of it unless they have skim read an article that they see mentions the EU.

Third, its critical to ignore if the situation is is worse in the UK, and especially if it has got worse since the UK left the EU or the issue was caused by the departure from the EU.

Fourth, and this is critical its important to pretend that you didn’t understand what criticism people were making at any point or if facts were posted that pointed out the issue was nothing to do with the EU. See the silence in response to Yossarian above.

The thread just exists for the people that can’t accept that leaving the EU has been a bad decision for the UK to make themselves feel better about it.

And its no surprise that at least one of them doesn’t live in the UK and the other loves Putin.
Ah he doubles down. Patronising lickle remainer

Try reading the OP.

Donald Tusk has savaged Poland's handling of its borders accusing it of publicly discouraging migrants while privately throwing the door open.
In a broadside this week, the former Polish prime minister, who now leads the country’s biggest opposition party, said the government was presiding over the “collapse” of border controls.
Mr Tusk used a speech during a political rally this week to claim that 135,000 people from Muslim countries were let in last year alone, compared to just 3,300 in 2015, under the socially conservative Law and Justice party

Donald Tusk has savaged Poland's handling of its borders accusing it of publicly discouraging migrants while privately throwing the door open.
In a broadside this week, the former Polish prime minister, who now leads the country’s biggest opposition party, said the government was presiding over the “collapse” of border controls.
Mr Tusk used a speech during a political rally this week to claim that 135,000 people from Muslim countries were let in last year alone, compared to just 3,300 in 2015, under the socially conservative Law and Justice party

Is that the Poland that's had over 12 million Ukranians flee across its border since Russia invaded (fair play) . Surprised they are managing to maintain such detailed records if I'm honest

EU executive chides Poland, Hungary for democratic deficiencies
July 5, 2023
The report said there were still “serious concerns” related to the state institution intended to safeguard the independence of courts and judges, and said “there are legitimate doubts as to its independence.” It also said that “serious doubts remain” about the appointment of several supreme court judges. It also chastised Warsaw for ongoing investigations of judges related to their judicial decisions.

And looking ahead, it said a recent law gave it “serious concerns that it could be used to affect the possibility of individuals to run for public office.”

The report assessed the recommendations made last year and found that in a half dozen cases, ranging from judicial independence to media freedom and anti-corruption measures, “no progress” had been made.

Why Belgium may be about to break up
politico. July 21, 2023
Mounting concern over migration is fuelling a surge for Flemish independence parties ahead of an election next year.
The small Western European state that hosts the headquarters of the EU and NATO has long had a dysfunctional national political life. It holds the world record for the longest time taken to form a government during coalition talks — over 500 days.

Now the strains between Dutch-speaking Flanders, in the north, and French-speaking Wallonia in the south of the country threaten a far bigger crisis.

Elections are due to be held in June 2024. According to POLITICO’s Poll of Polls, the far-right Vlaams Belang party — which wants to turn Flanders into a fully independent, breakaway state — is now the biggest political force in the country.

Back
Top Bottom