Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

EU watch

Speculative article for the Telegraph that predictably puts 'clever' UK and US centre stage but the issues that it highlights have been discussed in European media

UK and US quietly pushing for EU expansion to bolster Ukraine funding

The Qatargate Files: How Europe’s crypto queen was brought down by cash
Politico. December 5, 2023

Before her arrest, Kaili was the vice president of the European Parliament, and had a particular interest in cryptocurrency. She has always denied any involvement in the corruption scandal and is challenging the legal case against her.

Her partner Giorgi has acknowledged his own part in the schemes, while his former boss, the ex-member of the European Parliament Pier Antonio Panzeri, has confessed to his role in a plea deal with prosecutors.

Meloni not far right enough?

I don't think its clear why Meloni has been supportive of aid to Ukraine, it does seem out of step with the broader Italian right-wing consensus. I think maybe she's trying to prove how much Italy supports the 'western alliance'?

She's got plenty of reason to change her position anyway, especially if it starts to look unpopular with her political allies.

I don't think its clear why Meloni has been supportive of aid to Ukraine, it does seem out of step with the broader Italian right-wing consensus. I think maybe she's trying to prove how much Italy supports the 'western alliance'?

She's got plenty of reason to change her position anyway, especially if it starts to look unpopular with her political allies.

The far right globally is split over which side to take. You even have fash fighting fash within Ukraine.

Looks like the EU have released 10 billion euros ,that was previously suspended, to Orban in return for him abstaining on Ukraine joining the EU .

Looks like the EU have released 10 billion euros ,that was previously suspended, to Orban in return for him abstaining on Ukraine joining the EU .

...then in return, Hungary vetoed a €50 000 aid package to Ukraine.

Now that is realpolitik. Yeah they can join - if they still exist by then...

Macron leads opposition to and scuppers the proposed Digital Workers' Rights proposals

"Yolanda Díaz, Spanish vice-president and Labour minister, added: “Digital platform workers deserve rights. The Directive promoted by the Spanish Presidency guaranteed new rights to 30 million workers, but the far right and the liberals have prevented its approval. We will continue working for a better life.”

Leïla Chaibi MEP, member of France Insoumise who leads the work of the Left group in the European Parliament on platform work, said: “Not content with ruining the lives of the French, Macron is now poisoning an entire continent. By exporting his ideological extremism to the European scene and by not hesitating to ally himself with the worst reactionaries, he torpedoed a concrete advance, a text of general interest for Europeans. To protect his friends from Uber and company. It’s undignified.”

Back
Top Bottom