Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vivek Ramaswamy Watch

Don't think it could come from them. That wasn't my alternative option.

I don't know about you, but I think that in general it's better when journalists ask hard questions, instead of lazily tossing a bunch of easily-fielded bum-licking softballs. Will that kind of thing overturn society? No, and I don't think that was ever the intention in the first place. They're journalists, not revolutionaries.

Ramaswamy is massively lightweight though and the people who might vote for him don't care. They won't care if it gets pointed out and he probably has very practiced responses anyway. On the other hand the line that he is a hypocrite about trump might actually affect his target audience.

He's not going anywhere with the republicans anyway cos he's brown. That's my gut feeling anyway - not while maga is in the ascendency anyway - he'd need to wait for a moderate turn.

Trouble is that he too is an extremist. For the time being. As you say, the committed maga racists would probably not vote for him whereas the more insidious maga racists would -just to pull the whole "see, we're not racists!" schtick and vote for him. The committed ones won't countenance anyone but trump -even after he's convicted. Whereas the others would, due to their awareness that their Christian nationalist project is greater than one person.

Vivek may come to realise that he's in a political cul de sac and, hopefully, at a time when it's too late for him. Because when he does inevitably flip, his maga extremism will be used by some opponents as a sign that he's a trojan horse headbanger and by others as a sign of his insufferable insincerity and lack of commitment.

I don't think they've reached the point the Tories have where they realise that having a brown person doing your racism it offers a bit of cover.

I think his plan might be to suck up to trump enough to be his running mate but that would completely alienate the harder white supremacist part of the base which I think they need inside to win.

This is all just off the top of my head and I've got been paying that much attention though so could be completely wrong

Trouble is that he too is an extremist. For the time being. As you say, the committed maga racists would probably not vote for him whereas the more insidious maga racists would -just to pull the whole "see, we're not racists!" schtick and vote for him. The committed ones won't countenance anyone but trump -even after he's convicted. Whereas the others would, due to their awareness that their Christian nationalist project is greater than one person.

Vivek may come to realise that he's in a political cul de sac and, hopefully, at a time when it's too late for him. Because when he does inevitably flip, his maga extremism will be used by some opponents as a sign that he's a trojan horse headbanger and by others as a sign of his insufferable insincerity and lack of commitment.

He isn't an extremist; none of them (including Trump) are. They just say extremist things because that is what, in their limited understanding of "the base", they think people want to hear.

He isn't an extremist; none of them (including Trump) are. They just say extremist things because that is what, in their limited understanding of "the base", they think people want to hear.
I did caveat that with "for now". Ramaswami is slick grifter who has latched onto the maga twats as a potential avenue to power. Or as a means to extend awareness of his personal "brand". I highly doubt that he gives much of a shit either way as long as he gets tons of airtime to fast talk maga streams of consciousness, far right triangulated talking points and general republican bullshit. All wrapped up in a shiny suit and delivered through that shit-eating grin of his.

I'm puzzled by them not being extremists. Given power they'll enforce extreme abortion, race and LGBTQ+ laws to name three areas, and will likely replace the democracy with a Republican only authoritarian government. Florida is verging on a fascist state, with a few others following suit.

He's not going anywhere with the republicans anyway cos he's brown. That's my gut feeling anyway - not while maga is in the ascendency anyway - he'd need to wait for a moderate turn.

I think the actual amount of Republicans that identify as racist and/or white supremicist is quite small (and many of them would vote for the party anyway if he ran with Trump), and he's not African American so the racism operates quite differently around that in the US. But the majority of the far right Republican party are much more ultra-nationalists and religious far right that doesn't place race as such an important issue (one country under God etc.).

The Indian flag - alongside the US, UK and Israeli flags - is increasingly appearing in the bios of of far right Twitter. The nationalism, authoritarian and Islamophobia of the Modi regime appeals to them.

1694413384042.jpeg

Ramaswamy himself is a supporter of Modi and views him as a role model in many respects for the US

That said I don’t know how much of the MAGA base are politically clued up enough to grasp the similarities between Trumpism and Hindu Nationalism. But I do think many of them are more than Brown = bad. At the GOP presidential candidates debate he got by far the best response of all the candidates on stage. He knows exactly the raw meat to throw at the base. Assuming Trump is the presidential candidate (i.e he’s not debarred from standing), I think it’s very possible Ramswamy would be his running mate.

The Republicans like having tokens who say the right things. It's their political equivalent of "I can't be racist, I have friends of colour". But witness the dearth of such folks in any meaningful positions of power, and also the way that Obama keeps catching flak even though he's been done with politics for a few years now. According to some talking heads he's a gay man who married a trans woman(?!). It's not just Ramaswamy's skin colour either, his religion is also a big minus with the Christian nationalist crowd that the Republicans are determined to court at all costs.

I think it's a mistake to transpose the UK Conservative Party's relatively more enlightened attitudes onto the US Republicans. I would be very surprised if he gets the Presidency.

Man this guy is so fake. Everything is just hyper polished with a massive helping of question avoidance/spin. There's nothing remotely contemplative in any of his interviews it's all just "me me me". It's like someone asked ChatGPT to design a politician. Anyone who votes for him is an idiot.
Coincidentally, Chris Christie at the recent republican primary debate said to Ramaswami that he sounded like ChatGPT.

Does he want the job though? Being Trump's VP pick (let alone his actual VP) is definitely a poisoned chalice, ask one Michael Pence.

Ramaswamy might have a good shot at a Cabinet job but I can't see Trump making him his VP nominee, he was only polling at around 4% before he dropped out and whatever constituency of assorted shitheads he appeals to would probably pick Trump over Biden in any case

Ramaswamy might have a good shot at a Cabinet job but I can't see Trump making him his VP nominee, he was only polling at around 4% before he dropped out and whatever constituency of assorted shitheads he appeals to would probably pick Trump over Biden in any case
Secretary of Commerce or Technology or such like.

Back
Top Bottom