Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alcohol: regulatory watch

Out of interest what do we think of services like Uber etc getting in on alcohol deliveries since the lockdowns? Is this something that needs regulation?

I generally think it's great when I want a drink at 2am, but since I started to make changes and also have more contact with people who are trying to abstain I can see obvious problems with this.

So target people that mainly use supermarkets which are cheaper, but don't ruin the aesthetic of a bottle from those that can afford fancy wine sold at a restaurant, or higher end bar?

Don’t ruin the aesthetic of bottles period.

Ruin the aesthetic of supermarket displays if we must.

I mean when we are discussing the aesthetic of bottles we can see what has gone wrong with the way we have approached alcohol as a drug.

I'm for the legal regulation of all drugs, but the alcohol industry is the opposite of what we should aim for if that day ever arrived.

I love a good beer bottle for the record.

Everything's a poison if you imbibe enough of it. Even water.

Since apparently a precedent has been established, I wonder when they're gonna slap pictures of rotten teeth and people undergoing bariatric surgery on the packages of sugar and sugary products?

What do you think would be a rational alternative?

Hide all bottles in cabinets like fags? Big warning labels in place of a fancy wine labels? Images of beaten up spouses and damaged livers?
If Alcohol was released now then I think it could be sold more responsibility, and in a totally different manner. I don't think you need to go that far, but do you not see that the way Alcohol has been promoted to people and that it being a state supported drug of choice has caused a lot of damage to how we approach alcohol as a drug and a society?

Alcohol companies have also had lots of power in the past to protect their market. They funded some of the campaign following Laura Betts death for example as they were worried about the impact E was having on their sales.

If Alcohol was released now then I think it could be sold more responsibility, and in a totally different manner. I don't think you need to go that far, but do you not see that the way Alcohol has been promoted to people and that it being a state supported drug of choice has caused a lot of damage to how we approach alcohol as a drug and a society?

Alcohol companies have also had lots of power in the past to protect their market. They funded some of the campaign following Laura Betts death for example as they were worried about the impact E was having on their sales.

I agree 100%. Their lobbying was cynical over Betts and it was plain as day why.

Nevertheless the question is what should the rational response in 2023 be WRT labelling on bottles of wine. I would suggest fag style warning images/labels is overkill, and combating alcoholism could better be achieved in other ways like a ban on advertising and more effective point of sale legislation/warnings for starters.

I agree 100%. Their lobbying was cynical over Betts and it was plain as day why.

Nevertheless the question is what should the rational response in 2023 be WRT labelling on bottles of wine. I would suggest fag style warning images/labels is overkill, and combating alcoholism could better be achieved in other ways like a ban on advertising and more effective point of sale legislation/warnings for starters.
Yeah I agree totally with that.

structural racism in alcohol regulations -- no surprise. this is Australia after all, where indigenous peoples were openly considered a lesser species until very recently and the children of indigenous women raped by white men were still kidnapped out of their custody in the 1970s.

Back
Top Bottom