Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Malnutrition started properly in the industrial revolution. Smaller doors were mostly due to keeping the place warm.

Average heights dipped from (iirc) late 1700 to mid 1900s due to the working class being shafted and removed from the commons.

Sure but there was decent malnutrition in the 13th and 14th centuries when those little doors were built in extant historical buildings.

Oh if only the yokel locals all worked the fields and hitched rides about the place on the haywains, what a delightfully quaint scene that would make when you zoom through on your tourist trip.
How silly of me not to notice that most of these vehicles belonged to impoverished locals, carrying out various agricultural tasks, perhaps selling and purchasing goods, on a Saturday lunchtime in a village containing no services other than a nice looking gastropub.

Since cars are getting bigger the size of parking spaces looks like it’s going to be increased. How about manufacturers just build to the size of parking spaces. Such a bizarre way of looking at things.

View attachment 336375
I'm in favour of increasing parking space sizes, whilst keeping the number of parking spaces the same. This will be a good way of illustrating to motorists the consequences of their purchasing decisions. It will be a shame that some residential streets will lose a few parking spaces but at least it will reduce scratching and parking rage. Unfortunately, an increase in width might mean that parking will have to be removed from one or both sides of some streets, to maintain safety and reduce the risk of scratching, parking rage and congestion. But we do have to accept that times change.

How silly of me not to notice that most of these vehicles belonged to impoverished locals, carrying out various agricultural tasks, perhaps selling and purchasing goods, on a Saturday lunchtime in a village containing no services other than a nice looking gastropub.

A shame you think they should close the pub because it's too far for a sufficient number of out-of-village customers to conveniently get to. Did you tell them that when you went through on your jolly?

I'm in favour of increasing parking space sizes, whilst keeping the number of parking spaces the same. This will be a good way of illustrating to motorists the consequences of their purchasing decisions. It will be a shame that some residential streets will lose a few parking spaces but at least it will reduce scratching and parking rage. Unfortunately, an increase in width might mean that parking will have to be removed from one or both sides of some streets, to maintain safety and reduce the risk of scratching, parking rage and congestion. But we do have to accept that times change.

Glad to know you're in favour if encouraging the ownership of large cars. They're more comfortable, safe and efficient than those nasty old tin boxes that most anti-car people seem to think represent some sort of Golden Age in car design.

A shame you think they should close the pub because it's too far for a sufficient number of out-of-village customers to conveniently get to.
Interesting that you consider the primary purpose of rural pubs to be to serve the desires of out-of-village customers. Of course, this is also what the free market wants in a car-dependent society, because it's better business if you can target wealthy people with private transport from other places.

An older model of a village having a range of services accessible to its own residents and those within easy travelling distance is one you are no doubt glad to see the back of. Much better for 1 in 20 villages to have a pub or a shop, all the others to have nothing, and build lots of fast roads between them all.

A shame you think they should close the pub because it's too far for a sufficient number of out-of-village customers to conveniently get to. Did you tell them that when you went through on your jolly?

Glad to know you're in favour if encouraging the ownership of large cars. They're more comfortable, safe and efficient than those nasty old tin boxes that most anti-car people seem
So many streets should already have parking removed on one side. However very difficult for councils to do this - hence actions like LTNs that they can do without needing a majority vote.

Interesting that you consider the primary purpose of rural pubs to be to serve the desires of out-of-village customers. Of course, this is also what the free market wants in a car-dependent society, because it's better business if you can target wealthy people with private transport from other places.

An older model of a village having a range of services accessible to its own residents and those within easy travelling distance is one you are no doubt glad to see the back of. Much better for 1 in 20 villages to have a pub or a shop, all the others to have nothing, and build lots of fast roads between them all.

Unlike 1890 or whatever, most village dwellers don't want to spend every evening drinking ale, nor do they want to spend half the day trotting around a set of tiny shops conversating tediously with the shopkeepers about the new parson.

Unlike 1890 or whatever, most village dwellers don't want to spend every evening drinking ale, nor do they want to spend half the day trotting around a set of tiny shops conversating tediously with the shopkeepers about the new parson.
They want the benefits of living in a city whilst living in the countryside and they want to take public space to enable this and we’ve just let them. Very selfish. Very Tory.

They want the benefits of living in a city whilst living in the countryside and they want to take public space to enable this and we’ve just let them. Very selfish. Very Tory.

The only people that appear to be objecting about parking in this village are day-tripping tourists because it spoils their view. Villagers, and customers of village businesses, appear to be happy with the use of public space in the village for parking.

The only people that appear to be objecting about parking in this village are day-tripping tourists because it spoils their view. Villagers, and customers of village businesses, appear to be happy with the use of public space in the village for parking.
You’re just making things up now. Anyway - who drives to a pub? Bit depressing.

Were you regaled by tales of woe over the lack of road space due to their local pub having enough customers to stay in business?

They were shitting it that he was on yet another mission to gentrify and force out the locals, like what he done in Brixton.

Not as far as I recall - but what I can be sure of is that they expressed no opposition to my views on transport policy either on a national or more local scale.

Fair enough. But you should know they have also expressed no opposition to my proposed SUV subsidies and national road improvement program.

The commonwealth games here in B’ham really has done a fantastic job at showing the car centric arguments to be absolute shite.

Roads are closed all over the place, parking removed, more areas of the city pedestrianised, free public transport for all games staff.

The result? People have en mass left their cars at home. And as a result it has never, ever, been so easy to move around the city, and in over 30 years of living here I’ve never seen the city so busy, vibrant and alive.

Fuck. Cars.

The commonwealth games here in B’ham really has done a fantastic job at showing the car centric arguments to be absolute shite.

Roads are closed all over the place, parking removed, more areas of the city pedestrianised, free public transport for all games staff.

The result? People have en mass left their cars at home. And as a result it has never, ever, been so easy to move around the city, and in over 30 years of living here I’ve never seen the city so busy, vibrant and alive.

Fuck. Cars.

As you were a keen motorist last week, is yours now listed on Autotrader?

Back
Top Bottom