Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

The commonwealth games here in B’ham really has done a fantastic job at showing the car centric arguments to be absolute shite.

Roads are closed all over the place, parking removed, more areas of the city pedestrianised, free public transport for all games staff.

The result? People have en mass left their cars at home. And as a result it has never, ever, been so easy to move around the city, and in over 30 years of living here I’ve never seen the city so busy, vibrant and alive.

Fuck. Cars.

This is being shown everywhere and progressive councils are implementing measures to benefit all.

As with all progressive policy the Dail Mail etc will rail against them and entitled folk that have been indulged too long will moan and fight them tooth and nail. It’s exhausting but worth it.

Because they wanted to give them up, no shit.

How about households in North Korea who had their car confiscated? How happy are they?

It shouldn’t really be that surprising - cars are expensive and travelling by different modes - bus, train etc - is a much better experience than just seeing boring A-Roads and Motorways.

As someone mentioned above, car owners seem to drive everywhere even when public transport is a quicker alternative.

You don’t need to reply to every single post you know, particularly when it’s adding nothing and just seems like trolling. Also, don’t get this obsession you have with North Korea - are you trying to make a joke?

It shouldn’t really be that surprising - cars are expensive and travelling by different modes - bus, train etc - is a much better experience than just seeing boring A-Roads and Motorways.

As someone mentioned above, car owners seem to drive everywhere even when public transport is a quicker alternative.

You don’t need to reply to every single post you know, particularly when it’s adding nothing and just seems like trolling. Also, don’t get this obsession you have with North Korea - are you trying to make a joke?

Not entirely sure that many North Koreans have even owned cars let alone had them seized.

If everyone thought travelling by other modes was both less expensive and a better experience, then everyone would travel by other modes. But they don’t and they never will.

You don’t need to reply to every single post you know, particularly when it’s adding nothing and just seems like trolling.

I only make apposite and substantive posts, unlike everyone else on this thread.

I only make apposite and substantive posts, unlike everyone else on this thread.
You really don’t. I don’t get why you continue to insist on trolling this thread. Every other thread on these forums I post on people don’t do this. It’s just pointless. I’m sure there are arguments against what people post on here but with your (trying to be witty?) one sentence replies you’re not making them.

You really don’t. I don’t get why you continue to insist on trolling this thread. Every other thread on these forums I post on people don’t do this. It’s just pointless. I’m sure there are arguments against what people post on here but with your (trying to be witty?) one sentence replies you’re not making them.

Perhaps you should get back to posting tweeted videos of accidents or whatever.

Last edited:
If everyone thought travelling by other modes was both less expensive and a better experience, then everyone would travel by other modes. But they don’t and they never will.

If people thought doing a thing was better than another thing they were already doing then obviously they would just do that thing. Therefore the thing they are doing already is always better and the best and they will never change their mind even if you make it easier for them to do the alternative thing and you can see that lots of other people are happier doing the alternative thing. And that's that, and everyone shut up now and let's not upset the apple cart.

It’d be good to know the reasons behind why rural roads are so dangerous. It sounds like having 60mph limit on most roads encourages drivers to go too fast. Also I’m guessing drink driving rates are higher.

599793D7-0C37-46B3-BDF4-11E4A2DEDA57.jpeg

Twisty, undulating, single carriageway, poor sight lines (hedges etc), 60mph limits.

Total mystery :hmm: :D
Yeah - sort of what I mentioned. What can we do about it then? Real case for lowering the speed limit on those sort of roads.

A friend in rural Suffolk cycled everywhere for decades but gave up a few years ago as it had got too dangerous. Struggles to run a car. This is what happens when we just let cars dominate everywhere!

Last edited:
There should be a 10mph limit on any road that doesn't have a proper footpath along at least one side. This would get thousands of drivers lobbying for the construction of footpaths and all sorts of short pedestrian journeys in rural areas would become viable and safer.

It’d be good to know the reasons behind why rural roads are so dangerous. It sounds like having 60mph limit on most roads encourages drivers to go too fast. Also I’m guessing drink driving rates are higher.

View attachment 336474

Main reason is that they're mostly miles from anywhere, so takes ages for medical assistance to arrive, plus sparsely populated/few passing cars, so if you eg go off the side and get knocked unconscious, no-one will even know to call 999. Rapid medical response is key to reducing fatalities.

Exactly - so many think they’re doing nothing wrong or justify it by cyclists behaviour. And we just indulge these people.
cyclists' behaviour frequently does leave a great deal to be desired. try asking them to obey the rules of the road or indeed the laws of the land when you see them cycling on the footpath (namely the highways act 1835 s.72 (as amended by s. 85(1) of the local government act 1888)) and you'll soon see what calm individuals they are.

Back
Top Bottom