Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Car buying websites?

My son got 'quote' of £50 from WBAC for his Rav4 a couple of years ago . It was old (15+ years?) and when he went to trade it in against a newer car with big dealer (Car Supermarket or Motorpoint - cant remember which) they offered £50 trade-in value! They really didnt want an old car! So he didnt take either offer, bought the newer car and the Rav4 sat on the driveway for months and eventually sold for £1200 ..... I think someone somewhere always wants your car , its just a matter of if you can wait and do you need to sell it to make the purchase of the next one ...... and can you put up with the multiple "how low will you go" "can I come see it" and then not turn up , etc .....

My son got 'quote' of £50 from WBAC for his Rav4 a couple of years ago . It was old (15+ years?) and when he went to trade it in against a newer car with big dealer (Car Supermarket or Motorpoint - cant remember which) they offered £50 trade-in value! They really didnt want an old car! So he didnt take either offer, bought the newer car and the Rav4 sat on the driveway for months and eventually sold for £1200 ..... I think someone somewhere always wants your car , its just a matter of if you can wait and do you need to sell it to make the purchase of the next one ...... and can you put up with the multiple "how low will you go" "can I come see it" and then not turn up , etc .....
My main reason for the Micra going to We Buy Any Old Shed, we didn't need the money to fund the new one but I really didn't want it sitting on the drive for months getting in the way.

My main reason for the Micra going to We Buy Any Old Shed, we didn't need the money to fund the new one but I really didn't want it sitting on the drive for months getting in the way.
Mrs Tag gave her Micra away a few years ago in return for a donation to charity. She still really misses it.
If you have a long MOT on a car, there is always going to be someone who will pay a few quid for it.

Mrs Tag gave her Micra away a few years ago in return for a donation to charity. She still really misses it.
If you have a long MOT on a car, there is always going to be someone who will pay a few quid for it.
Fantastic little cars. Mrs Q ran hers for 13 years, far longer than any other car we've had.

I’m definitely not selling it privately. I’ve got no patience for that. I’ll see if Honda wants it when I’m ready to sell but they didn’t a couple of months ago.

I’m leasing next so no part ex and because there’s outstanding finance, any delay will mean I’ll have two payments which will likely swallow any profit.

I just want to clear the finance and if there’s a few quid left it can go towards the new home charger that I still haven’t ordered!

I've used both WBAC and Motorway in the last couple of years.

WBAC we needed to get rid quick for various reasons. Service was good but unless the car is pristine you'll get less than you were quoted as they do a really thorough inspection. I think we ended up about £500 below - in other circs I would have walked away but needed it sorted so took the hit.

Motorway was good. I had a good experience but got less in the auction than they quoted. Again you can walk away then if you want but for me it was still substantially more than I was being quoted by dealers so I went with it. It all worked very well. The fact you take LOADS of photos before it goes to auction means there's not too much argument when the sale comes.

I've used both WBAC and Motorway in the last couple of years.

WBAC we needed to get rid quick for various reasons. Service was good but unless the car is pristine you'll get less than you were quoted as they do a really thorough inspection. I think we ended up about £500 below - in other circs I would have walked away but needed it sorted so took the hit.

Motorway was good. I had a good experience but got less in the auction than they quoted. Again you can walk away then if you want but for me it was still substantially more than I was being quoted by dealers so I went with it. It all worked very well. The fact you take LOADS of photos before it goes to auction means there's not too much argument when the sale comes.
How long was it from quote to auction if you remember?

How long was it from quote to auction if you remember?
24 hours. I had to send some photos and info after I spoke to someone on the phone and it went into the next auction (they have one every weekday). I think I had a price from a buyer by mid afternoon the following day. The process is once you agree you get sent paperwork to sign and then they put you I. Touch with buyer to arrange collection. I got the buyer price on the Friday m, sent the paperwork over the weekend and then collection was arranged for Thursday - it could have been sooner but that was convenient for me. The buyer was a dealer (most of them are) and didn’t dick me about.

Back
Top Bottom