Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England's Euro 2020 Exploits

Oh aye, England be fucked :D

2021-06-20-england.png
if england lose against czech, and croatia or scotland win with a few goals england might yet not qualify, no?
that graphic says they qualify 100%?

Last edited:
if england lose against czech, and croatia or scotland win with a few goals england might yet not qualify, no?
Yeah, seems to be no way we can't qualify at this stage!

Southgate should have some fun with it, forward line made of 'keepers, Sterling between the sticks, players told to "play it how you feel it, just follow your energy".

Not old stinker Southgate, though, too serious for that :rolleyes: :(

If teams are level on points, I think head-to-head comes first ahead of goal difference. So England can't finish behind Croatia, but could finish behind Scotland. I think that's right. So yeah, not a cast-iron 100%.

Ok, going straight to the source, hopefully this helps having it all listed out:

How ties are broken within groups

If two or more teams in the same group are equal on points on completion of the final tournament group stage, the following criteria are applied, in the order given, to determine their rankings:

a. higher number of points obtained in the matches played among the teams in question
b. superior goal difference resulting from the matches played among the teams in question
c. higher number of goals scored in the matches played among the teams in question
d. if, after having applied criteria a) to c), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to i) apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal
e. superior goal difference in all group matches
f. higher number of goals scored in all group matches
g. higher number of wins in all group matches
h. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points)
i. position in the overall European Qualifiers rankings

If two teams which have the same number of points and the same number of goals scored and conceded play their last group match against each other and are still equal at the end of that match, their final rankings are determined by kicks from the penalty mark, provided that no other teams within the group have the same number of points on completion of all group matches.

How the four best third-placed teams are decided

With reference to article 21.03, the results of the third-placed teams are compared based on their three group stage matches, according to the following criteria:

a. higher number of points
b. superior goal difference
c. higher number of goals scored
d. higher number of wins
e. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points)
f. position in the overall European Qualifiers rankings

Once the four best third-placed teams have been determined, article 21.05 of the regulations explains which third-placed team plays in which tie.

So what I said is basically correct, aside from the best kit bit. Head to head, then gd (then goals scored), then cards. Then qualification ranking (so no coin toss).

Interesting that they have accommodation for a penalty shoot-out if the level teams are playing each other last.

Cycling through town yesterday, I noticed quite a lot of young lads, English and Scots, sporting what looked to be Euro 96-era garb, as a kind of ironic thing I suppose (including that remarkably ugly grey England shirt).

Baddiel and Skinner's version of support cannibalised and then replaced the earlier version is what it looks like...
If you could time travel, go back and change just one thing, would it be to stop the 9/11 bombing? The assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand? No, I'd fucking kill Baddiel and Skinner before they wrote that fucking song. :mad:

So what I said is basically correct, aside from the best kit bit. Head to head, then gd (then goals scored), then cards. Then qualification ranking (so no coin toss).

Interesting that they have accommodation for a penalty shoot-out if the level teams are playing each other last.
Aye, could be interesting (I think I wouldn't hate a shoot-out quite so much if it was just determining which place teams qualify in).

a. Bungs
b. Size of TV market for coca cola product placement
c. Brexit
d. higher number of points
e. superior goal difference
f. higher number of goals scored
g. higher number of wins
h. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points)
f. position in the overall European Qualifiers rankings

It's theoretically possible that you could have a penalty shoot-out to decide 3rd/4th in which both teams go out regardless. :D
You could even have a group where the 4th placed team goes out with 4 points and another group where the 3rd placed goes through with 3.

You could even have a group where the 4th placed team goes out with 4 points and another group where the 3rd placed goes through with 3.
In Denmark's group, it is very possible, likely even, that Denmark will go through in second place with three points.

It needs Belgium to beat Finland and Denmark to beat Russia by more than one goal.

Mildly interesting historical footnote: World Cup 1982 also had 24 teams but in 2 phases of groups. 6 groups of 4, top 2 go through >>>. those 12 teams went into 4 groups of 3, from which the winners went through to a semi final. So, England beat France, Czechoslovakia and Kuwait, then in second phase, drew with Spain and West Germany. Played 5, won 3, drew 2, lost 0 = eliminated.

World Cup 2018, played 7, won 4 (one of which was on penalties), lost 3 = 4th place.

Chelsea duo Ben Chilwell and Mason Mount are isolating after having interaction with Scotland player Billy Gilmour during Friday’s match.

The pair will be kept away from the rest of the England players and wider support team, pending further discussions with Public Health England.

The entire squad had lateral flow tests on Monday afternoon and all were again negative.

Actually, the worry with a time travel reset is what fills the void. Could revert back to Vindaloo. I wouldn't want to be responsible for that. :(
I was once invited to brainstorm with Keith Allen in a Stroud pub over a possible song for FGR :D He still seemed to have the food fixation, what with the vegan catering suppose he had an excuse.

Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell now self isolating after draping themselves all over Billy Gilmour the other day.

I've been uncomfortable for a while seeing how the social distancing around football as opposed to within the 90 minutes itself has slipped. It's all hugs from the manager when substituted along with a free for all of hugging at the end of the game. In some ways that kind of slippage is what you'd expect, particularly as football gets something like back to normal. But hey, this is a fucking deadly disease and football was only supposed to start up with proper controls against exactly this kind of behaviour. Prem leage, uefa and the rest should have been enforcing this, but then they are the ones who can't see beyond the next billion. Fuck me, threatening to take the final away from Wembley unless they could breach quarantine rules. Astonishing. And don't get me started on the fucking olympics...

Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell now self isolating after draping themselves all over Billy Gilmour the other day.

I've been uncomfortable for a while seeing how the social distancing around football as opposed to within the 90 minutes itself has slipped. It's all hugs from the manager when substituted along with a free for all of hugging at the end of the game. In some ways that kind of slippage is what you'd expect, particularly as football gets something like back to normal. But hey, this is a fucking deadly disease and football was only supposed to start up with proper controls against exactly this kind of behaviour. Prem leage, uefa and the rest should have been enforcing this, but then they are the ones who can't see beyond the next billion. Fuck me, threatening to take the final away from Wembley unless they could breach quarantine rules. Astonishing. And don't get me started on the fucking olympics...

Southgate said during the press conference earlier it wasn't an interaction that happened on the pitch, so not the draping thing.

I assume they got on it after the game, as young lads do (see greenwood and foden earlier in the season)

Southgate said during the press conference earlier it wasn't an interaction that happened on the pitch, so not the draping thing.

I assume they got on it after the game, as young lads do (see greenwood and foden earlier in the season)
Might be wrong, but I don't think they've got Covid, but have had contact. Cynically, I wonder if this is more about there being pictures of them interacting with Gilmour, so an arse covering exercise. Anyway, certainly as defined by the usual self isolation rules, just about every member of the Scotland team must have been in close indoor contact with Gilmour.

Might be wrong, but I don't think they've got Covid, but have had contact. Cynically, I wonder if this is more about there being pictures of them interacting with Gilmour, so an arse covering exercise. Anyway, certainly as defined by the usual self isolation rules, just about every member of the Scotland team must have been in close indoor contact with Gilmour.

Yes, the rules are mental. Everything about this competition is mental. As much as I'm enjoying it this competition really shouldn't be going ahead right now. I don't know how you can justify tens of thousands of fans bellowing out flower of scotland and god save our gracious queen before larging it in leicester square all night yet my friend's wedding has had to move their band outside, make them play acoustic and impose strict rules about no singing and dancing. And that's 35 people.

If teams are level on points, I think head-to-head comes first ahead of goal difference. So England can't finish behind Croatia, but could finish behind Scotland. I think that's right. So yeah, not a cast-iron 100%.
Looks like it is virtually cast-iron now that England qualify for the knockout stages.

Back
Top Bottom