Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England's Euro 2020 Exploits

I was watching the France/Portugal game as a recording, skipping through it from 20 minutes behind and then occasionally flipping over to the other match in real time. I came close to winning the Fields Medal trying to figure out that the fuck was going on.

England team inflicted with Ed Sheeran “Adding to the surreal feel, Phillips said, was having Ed Sheeran give the England squad a private concert their St George's Park training base on Wednesday.”. That’s morale fucked then.

I suppose the Czechs putting two men on Kane worked in England's favour. I thought he held the ball up and brought the runners into play really well, so if he can occupy two of Ginter, Hummels and Rudiger it allow more space for Grealish, Sterling, Foden, Rashford, whoever to attack.

Cant wait to see more of Sancho - he looks really skilled.
Interestingly, the Guardian only gave his performance a 6 ("There were some exciting flickers on his first start of the tournament but he can produce so much more. The youngster’s defensive work can improve.").

In the Facebook comments a lot of people thought that was very harsh, as did I, but one Mr Martin McNulty made the following points:

Totally agree with Sancho's rating he hardly produced anything of interest. I thought the idea was to bring him on so as to provide Kane with crosses and passes. Did he give the ball once to Kane?

Can't recall him beating his man once on the right wing... Can you?

So I checked to see if there were any clips of his performance and on the basis of this video, McNulty ain't all wrong...

I think it was Tifo that made the point, as others have, I believe, that England's more methodical (or 'slow) approach doesn't really play to Sancho's strengths and give him the opportunity to do what he does best, so that may well be playing a part. Plus, as we often keep saying, a player's impact is not just about the number of players he beats, crosses he makes or shots he takes.

Anyway, yeah, all that said, he is still very evidently a very good player and an exciting prospect for England (and Man Utd, I s'pose :p ).

Reasons for optimism in the cold light of the day after the night before, part 1. There are 2 tournaments coming up, in 18 months and 3 years respectively. We'll win them both.

Goalkeeper - Pickford was outstanding, and at 27 he's just coming into his prime. Henderson (24) seems to be establishing himself as no.1 at a genuinely big club and has a very bright future. Sam Johnstone (28) is on the radar of a lot of clubs, as is Aaron Ramsdale (23).

Left back - Luke Shaw (26), outstanding (that word will get used a lot, sorry). Ben Chilwell (24) a more than able deputy and one of Chelsea's most consistent players.

Right back - both Walker (31) and Tripper (30) had admirable tournaments, especially Walker. Both could easily make the World Cup, although even if age catches up with them between Reece James (21) and Trent Alexander-Arnold (22) we're more than well set. James' versatility in playing occasional RCB for Chelsea offers much of the same tactical flexibility as Walker currently does. Plus there's great, young depth even beyond those 4.

Centre back - Stones (27) and Maguire (28) were immense and our first choice pair will continue to play big matches for big clubs throughout their prime years. While Mings (28) deputised well and Coady (28) is very highly regarded, not convinced either will genuinely push for a first 11 spot - the next generation of Ben White (23) and Joe Gomez (24) might though. Fikayo Tomori (23) worth a mention too.

Centre midfield - Rice (22) and Phillips (25) announced themselves as international class midfielders, showing that not playing for "the big 6" (7 if you correctly count Leicester) is no barrier to being an ace footballer. Henderson's injury forced the passing of the baton to the younger players - at 31 it's hardly like he's finished and might well stay in the squad (if not the team) for the world cup although probably not the euros beyond. Jude Bellingham (18) is a serious talent though and is already starring for Champion's League regulars, and as and when we need another in Henderson's place there's the excellent James Ward-Prowse (25) and another promising generation beyond (Maitland-Niles, 22, Oliver Skipp, 20 for example).

Attacking mids / wide forwards - if anyone can name me a better selection in world football to pick from than Sterling (26), Sancho (21), Rashford (23), Grealish (25), Mount (22), Foden (21), Saka (19), Greenwood (19), Maddison (22), Hudson-Odoi (20) then I'm all ears. Then there's the likes of Smith-Rowe (20) coming through at Arsenal, and it feels a bit early to be writing Dele Alli off. All that is without a recall for Jesse Lingard (29), perhaps time not on his side but he really was exceptional for West Ham.

Forwards: Harry Kane (27) the best there is or near enough. Calvert-Lewin (24) an able deputy and improving at a rate of knots. Not huge depth beyond that, but there's a distinct possibility either Rashford and/or Greenwood will end up playing through the centre.

Our manager is a giant of a man - dignified, considered, honest and with a keen sense of decency and integrity. Everything a leader should be. The players have bought wholesale into his methods, and with another 18 months of qualifiers and friendlies under his belt perhaps the handbrake will come off and see slightly more expansive football. Personal redemption can take decades (just ask Southgate) or it can come around a little quicker, like Stuart Pearce at Euro 96. Many of the current squad have made the step up from semi-finalists in Russia, and most (almost all?) will be in a position to make the step up again from oh-so-near to win in 2022 and 2024 - possibly with Rashford, Sancho &/or Saka completing their own redemption story along the way.

2022 - it's coming home :thumbs:

Qatar involves 110F. We ain't winning with our game playing in that heat. Unless we miraculously learn to hold on to the ball better against top teams.

The next Euros is more realistic for having some chance.

Well pardon me for not thinking "that's it, our one shot and we blew it. No point watching England anymore."
There’s a difference between being hopeful that you’ll go that further step next time and trotting out the usual “it’s coming home” bollocks. Do you not just think that might be why most of the footballing world gets a tad pissed off.

Tournament draws are done on the 28th October. Four groups from 16 teams. Looking at the lineup you would have to fancy the Netherlands, France and Sweden over us.

Back
Top Bottom