Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Scotland Euro 2020 finals

So the reason Hancock gave for the slightly, well, very bizarre situation going on for England and Scotland, where two England players who chatted with Gilmour for 25 mins and have also tested negative have to isolate yet none of the Scottish team or support staff do is that the Scottish team is governed by Public Health Scotland who are clearly a lot more lenient than the English lot. Still seems crazy... the Scottish players have been eating together, travelling together, training together, playing playstation together etc etc.

Meanwhile I"m self isolating after going into the office last week and a colleague sitting 20 metres away testing positive.

I think the situation with Covid and football has always been a massive fudge hasn't it. It's all very performative, being seen to do Covid-safety ish stuff, with a largely unspoken mutual understanding amongst everyone not to look too closely at it.

I actually think there is a worthwhile public benefit to getting sport events on (and stuff like Strictly Come Dancing or Bakeoff or whatever) but there's a bit of a lack of honesty about how it's been done IMO.

Interesting to see if there is an increase in cases now all the teams and staff have been mixing through the group stages.

Well Cornwall's seeing a spike in cases since the bubble-bursting event that was the G7 so I'd fully expect to see spikes here.

I feel for the Scots I really do but they should all be self-isolating if I have to.

I'm also not entirely sure how secure the Scottish bubble was given that Andy Murray was apparently playing table tennis with Gilmour a few days ago in their camp

I think the situation with Covid and football has always been a massive fudge hasn't it. It's all very performative, being seen to do Covid-safety ish stuff, with a largely unspoken mutual understanding amongst everyone not to look too closely at it.

I actually think there is a worthwhile public benefit to getting sport events on (and stuff like Strictly Come Dancing or Bakeoff or whatever) but there's a bit of a lack of honesty about how it's been done IMO.
Pragmatically, I think it would have been a good idea to give professional sportspeople priority over vaccination. All the teams could easily have been fully vaccinated with a relatively tiny number of vaccines that wouldn't have made any odds to the rest of us. They necessarily have to move from place to place. Makes sense for them to be prioritised over those of us who don't.

Pragmatically, I think it would have been a good idea to give professional sportspeople priority over vaccination. All the teams could easily have been fully vaccinated with a relatively tiny number of vaccines that wouldn't have made any odds to the rest of us. They necessarily have to move from place to place. Makes sense for them to be prioritised over those of us who don't.

Yeah agreed. I think part of the dishonesty I'm talking about is that there's a reluctance to actually come out and say 'these sportsmen have special status'. I understand that, given what everyone has gone through 'we're prioritising this bunch of millionaires' is pretty unpalatable isn't it, but it's happened anyway.

So the computations of tonight’s game between Scotland and Croatia make it look like the exact reverse of the premise for that TV game show called Shafted. If the teams draw, they’re both guaranteed to go out regardless of results elsewhere. And if one wins, the victor is similarly guaranteed to go through. According to the BBC anyway.

Jeez though, if I wanted to see the England game, I'd be watching the England game and not lurking about on ITV4. :rolleyes:

ETA For viewers not on English ITV4, they just brought up a thing about England scoring.

Jeez though, if I wanted to see the England game, I'd be watching the England game and not lurking about on ITV4. :rolleyes:

ETA For viewers not on English ITV4, they just brought up a thing about England scoring.
Tbf, it's pretty standard to relay info about what's going on in the other game being played at the same time.

Especially as it theoretically could impact what happens the teams in the game on ITV4.

They always do that with matches played concurrently.

Did they just split screen so you couldn't really see the game you're meant to be watching?

Back
Top Bottom