Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England's Euro 2020 Exploits

Pedant point: they were, the world just hadn't realised at that point. ;)
Pedant point: at the time they started playing their last game, they had not qualified.

We can get into a deterministic theory of time and the universe if y'like, but I feel like we'd still be hard pushed to get UEFA on board.

Actually, no, scratch that. If they'd lost 6-0 to Italy or similar, they'd have been out. :oops:
Yeah, exactly, that's also what I was talking about :mad:

:hmm:

Actually, no, scratch that. If they'd lost 6-0 to Italy or similar, they'd have been out. :oops:
Actually, no, I retract my retraction, they did have 4 points before the last match and couldn't finish lower than 3rd. So, 365 is kind of right.

Not what we're discussing.

Wales needed 3 games to qualify, England only needed 2 :cool:

Naw they hadnae :confused:
In terms of both the position after 2 games in their group and what could subsequently happen in their group, Wales were guaranteed to come at least 3rd with 4 points. They didn't know after 2 games that that would be enough, but their knowledge isn't the issue. Their actions in that group, regardless of all outcomes in the 3rd game, had done enough for them to qualify at that point.

This spells it out in great detail, but the quick version looks to be:

England win - a world of pain, don't do it (France, Germany or Portugal)

England draw - probably the best outcome, though there's a risk of playing Spain (the main risk is Spain's pointless passing and Southgate's set up will bore everyone to death)

England lose and Scotland win (with 3 goal difference turnaround) - possibility of anyone in the Sweden/Spain group, also Netherlands or Belgium. NOPE!

So, if I've got this right, it's in the Czech Republic's interest to lose and England's to draw (or lose if Scotland don't win).

Which is why, I think, most of us are pretty confident England won't win this tournament.
Maybe not, but maybe they will. You lot are talking about deliberately losing matches in order to face "lesser" teams. I'm talking about trying to win every game, and getting showpieces against Germany, France or whoever else. Games we can remember, even if we lose, and certainly if we win. Games that will go down in history "do you remember where you were when we beat France in the Euros? Remember that Sancho hattrick?"

And do I even need to remind you that we went out to fucking Iceland last time?

Maybe not, but maybe they will. You lot are talking about deliberately losing matches in order to face "lesser" teams. I'm talking about trying to win every game, and getting showpieces against Germany, France or whoever else. Games we can remember, even if we lose, and certainly if we win. Games that will go down in history "do you remember where you were when we beat France in the Euros? Remember that Sancho hattrick?"

And do I even need to remind you that we went out to fucking Iceland last time?
Oi, who's this "you lot"? I've said nothing of the sort!

I think... :hmm:

Can't win a tournament without beating good teams. I bet Gareth isn't talking like this.
I agree and I wouldn't in his place. I'm not actively suggesting they play to lose as such. Nevertheless, if they are drawing 75 minutes in, I wouldn't bust a gut to go for a winner. Ultimately though, a shit format. There aren't really any good formats if you have 24 teams, but the problem was the money grabbing bastards expanding it to 24 in the first place.

From a personal point of view, Tuesday is far better for me so I think we should go out looking to win. From a football point of view, we should try and win every game but also take into account that we are through and there is no need to risk the likes of Henderson or Maguire on a game we don't have to win. Similarly, anyone getting a slight knock shouldn't play the 90 mins.

From a personal point of view, Tuesday is far better for me so I think we should go out looking to win. From a football point of view, we should try and win every game but also take into account that we are through and there is no need to risk the likes of Henderson or Maguire on a game we don't have to win. Similarly, anyone getting a slight knock shouldn't play the 90 mins.
Nah, go the whole hog, bring deckchairs on the field. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom