Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Euro 2020 Punditry

I liked the set up ITV had with the england scotland game. Rather than 2 they had 3 commentators. Not impressed with ferdinand or lamps on BBC. I like Ally McCoist's commentary.

Good to get two differing perspectives - also one defender and one striker. Rugby tends to have a forward and a back on co-comms and it works quite well.

I agree, and Dixon and McCoist seem to have a good repartee going.

I'm trying to think what defender-attacker combination the Beeb could use. The only two co-commentators I can remember them using this tournament are Jenas and Murphy, both midfielders.

I know they‘ve been doing it for a number of years now, but the BBC can fuck off with the big ostentatious hand-held microphones in the studio. It’s just a clumsy adoption of an American norm, like clip-on mics were never invented. It looks shit, pack it in.

I used the 5Live commentary for Italy-Austria last night. Ian Dennis and Chris Sutton veered towards Partridge territory at times.

Ashley Cole is pretty good too, I think. Deep knowledge and a sharp nous. He looks horribly uncomfortable most of the time though.

I agree, and Dixon and McCoist seem to have a good repartee going.

I'm trying to think what defender-attacker combination the Beeb could use. The only two co-commentators I can remember them using this tournament are Jenas and Murphy, both midfielders.
Dion Dublin and Chris Sutton.

The pundit doing the Spain Croatia game (Emma Hays?) is really good. She seriously knows her tactics which is really what we want from a pundit.

As an Everton fan, I enjoy the irony of seeing Ashley Williams presented as some kind of authority on defending

Klinsmann was excellent last night. I think he knew this isn't anywhere near a great German team, but his humility was refreshing all the same.

I vaguely remember him having a slight American accent previously when he did punditry. He seems to have lost that.

Steve Wilson went up in my estimation last night, when he cited Italy-Germany 2006 as a classic semi final. I remember that, and it truly was a superb match.

Big fan of Neville's mic concking out in the first half.
He also subtly had a go at the government after the match, when commenting on Southgate:

"... after the standard of leadership in this country over the last couple of years has been poor."

I think I'm going to go with 5Live commentary this evening, switching to BBC1 for half time. It's a bit of shame they're using an all-England studio panel, of Shearer, Lampard and Ferdinand (I think). I know Vialli's working for Mancini, but they could've tried to get Zola maybe.

Always wanted Jason Lee to become a pundit. There’s still time you juicy pineapple, you.

Jason Lee, who made over 650 appearances as a professional footballer in a 21 year career, does not appear to be interested in pursuing a career in football punditry - he is currently an Equalities Education Executive for The Professional Footballers Association, by whom he has been employed for several years.

David Baddiel used to appear on the BBC in blackface wearing a pineapple and dreadlocks, and pretending to be retarded in order to mock Lee, then playing at Nottingham Forest, and sporting a hairstyle which combined corn rows and dreadlocks, which had become popular among some young men in the African Caribbean community at the time.

As a result, ‘pineapple head’ was added to the lengthy list of terms of racial abuse then being used against those with a similar hairstyle.

Even now, at the age of 50, Lee is still being referred to by some as a "juicy pineapple".

Jason Lee, who made over 650 appearances as a professional footballer in a 21 year career, does not appear to be interested in pursuing a career in football punditry - he is currently an Equalities Education Executive for The Professional Footballers Association, by whom he has been employed for several years.

David Baddiel used to appear on the BBC in blackface wearing a pineapple and dreadlocks, and pretending to be retarded in order to mock Lee, then playing at Nottingham Forest, and sporting a hairstyle which combined corn rows and dreadlocks, which had become popular among some young men in the African Caribbean community at the time.

As a result, ‘pineapple head’ was added to the lengthy list of terms of racial abuse then being used against those with a similar hairstyle.

Even now, at the age of 50, Lee is still being referred to by some as a "juicy pineapple".
Gawd, well, more fool me eh :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom