Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England's Euro 2020 Exploits

Nice. When I played very shit football at school we always sensed a victory when the opponents started bickering with each other.

Germany were unreal against Latvia. I never think it's wise to bet against them.
Yeah, but it's Latvia. Löw is finished as Germany manager and has had to resort to calling up the old guard because he's struggling so much. They lost to North Macedonia in World Cup qualifying a couple of months ago.

Yeah, but it's Latvia. Löw is finished as Germany manager and has had to resort to calling up the old guard because he's struggling so much. They lost to North Macedonia in World Cup qualifying a couple of months ago.
The old guard that won the World Cup? That old guard, y'mean... :hmm:

(Yes, I know it's not that simple and age is a thing :p :D )

The old guard that won the World Cup? That old guard, y'mean... :hmm:

(Yes, I know it's not that simple and age is a thing :p :D )
Yes, and they were dropped for a reason. You can quote me on this - Germany will get knocked out in the first round, after getting soundly beaten by all three teams in their group.

Actually, don't quote me unless it happens :hmm:

So England eh? Embarrassment of riches in attack and .. er... at right back. But how to make it all work together? Southgate is onto a loser whatever he does unless he wins the bloody thing - "mistake to play/should have played/called up Foden/Grealish/Mount/Rashford/Stirling/Bamford" . Anyway - i fear hes too cautious and id personally start with Grealish (who looks great playing as a no.10) and Foden - then bring on rashford/stirling later if needed and/or to add pace agasint tiring legs. Really dont trust the England defence minus Maguire (whos more the best of an indifferent bunch rather than being world class) - Tyrone Mings is a liability and looks to playing like a cross between a bulldozer and a headless chicken and should be dropped. Rather have Ben White.
England will get to knockout stage - probably by accidently winning the group and then facing ... Germany/Portugal/France. If they get past that hurdle then dust out the "its coming home" singalongs until losing to wales or north Macedonia on penalties in the semi-finals or something.

Group stage prediction -
Croatia 0-0.
Scotland 1-1 (southgate out!) ,
Czech Republic 3-0 (its coming home! bring on ... oh shit ... its france) .

Here's my mate Tim's analysis:

Mmm... IS IT COMING HOME?! MASSIVE QUESTION!!
I was more confident before those two friendlies, which were a bit of a mess, but then of course the chelsea and man city contingent were missing. It feels like a worry that we're so dependent on harry maguire, who is no virgil van dyke.
We had a sweepstake at work and I drew france, so perhaps I'll throw my support behind them - they've probably got a better chance of winning and i'll make a few quid.
Either way, massively looking forward to it. Most of the games will be shit, total morons will boo the England players for daring to suggest that racism isn't ok, Gareth Southgate will probably play all his right backs in the same team and we'll lose to Scotland, but it'll be a joy nonetheless

Really? That's crazy.
Is it though? I mean we can pull out as many racist stereotypes as we like but can you really see some of the other countries paying much attention to racist attitudes within their own game?

From the Telegraph

Anti-knee​

Croatia
Players elected to stand and watch as Belgium took the knee during Sunday night’s friendly.

Czech Republic
The Czech FA announced in March that players were taking a “neutral apolitical stance” concerning the Black Lives Matter initiative. The recent 10-game ban of Ondrej Kudela for racist behaviour appears to have strengthened resolve not to support taking the knee.

Hungary
The Hungarian federation recently issued a written reprimand to a player of African origin who showed his undershirt with the words “Justice for George Floyd” after scoring a goal. Support for BLM does not appear high on its agenda.

Poland
Ahead of the World Cup qualifier with England in March, the head of the Polish FA, Zbigniew Boniek, made his position clear on whether his players should take the knee: “I am absolutely against such gestures.”

Russia
The Russian players did not take a knee against Bulgaria on Saturday and there is no suggestion they intend to at the Euros.

Slovakia
Slovakian players took a knee before games with the Republic of Ireland and Scotland last October. After criticism in the Slovakian parliament, the Slovakian football hierarchy claimed it was told to do so by Uefa and has not done so since.

Spain
Many La Liga players have shown solidarity with the BLM movement over the past 12 months, but the Spanish players did not take the knee against Portugal on Saturday and have no plans to do so at Euro 2020.

Ukraine
As with many Eastern European countries, there has been no evidence of support for taking the knee prior to international matches.

Uncertains​

Italy
Last summer, Serie A players took the knee. The national team did not do so against the Czech Republic in last week’s friendly.

North Macedonia
Beat Kazakhstan 4-0 in their final warm-up last weekend. The players from both teams did not take a knee before kick-off.

Portugal
The Portugal players did take a knee against Spain on Saturday, although many European-based players have done so over the past year.

Sweden
Did not take a knee before their friendly against Armenia on Saturday.

Switzerland
Did not take the knee in recent games. Have not revealed plans for the Euros.

Turkey
Did not take the knee in recent games. Have not revealed plans for the Euros.

We never fucking learn. Oh great, a half fit Harry Maguire might be able to join halfway through the competition.

It's alright though cos we've also taken Jordan Henderson who has played 45 mins in 4 months.

We never fucking learn. Oh great, a half fit Harry Maguire might be able to join halfway through the competition.

It's alright though cos we've also taken Jordan Henderson who has played 45 mins in 4 months.
Absolutely beggars belief. Risking unfit players at elite sporting level.

Is there any further news on locating that Albanian spiked drink gang he took on in Greece?

Yup the Scottish exceptionalism theory not holding up on this issue
There's some back story to this which is being lost outside of Scotland
Personally I think the nuance is lost to people that don't know about any of this and the end result is that the international community will see Scotland as not being anti racist which is untrue. I'd rather they did it before every game (and especially before the Czech Republic game).

I support the gesture, not being a racist or an idiot and all that, but feel maybe they should have moved on after end of PL and maybe launched some new initiatives. unfortunately now seems to be hijacked and misunderstood (of course, often deliberately) to the point of somewhat defeating the point of promoting unity.

There's some back story to this which is being lost outside of Scotland
Personally I think the nuance is lost to people that don't know about any of this and the end result is that the international community will see Scotland as not being anti racist which is untrue. I'd rather they did it before every game (and especially before the Czech Republic game).
Thanks for that wasn’t aware of it

I support the gesture, not being a racist or an idiot and all that, but feel maybe they should have moved on after end of PL and maybe launched some new initiatives. unfortunately now seems to be hijacked and misunderstood (of course, often deliberately) to the point of somewhat defeating the point of promoting unity.
I agree it’s a gesture , albeit a very sincere one by the players , but who has it been hijacked by ?

well by knobjockeys banging on about marxism and BLM being racist etc. so it's become another culture war battle - hence tables of which country will do it and which country won't. i.e. a division.

Back
Top Bottom