Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England v Slovakia 5pm 30/6

What's your hot take on what's wrong, out of interest?
Certainly not that the players are spoilt peacocks.

My hot take is that England’s top players are coached in very specific ways that work well in club football when your team is geared entirely towards playing in a particular system, but they struggle to adapt to the international game where you’re far more likely to be limited by personnel and the lack of time to work together and adapt to each other. Really skilled managers are able to overcome this to a certain extent (see Nagelsman for Germany), but it’s why I think you see smaller countries who play together more often, in less drilled club teams, able to perform well against the top countries.

Basically, I blame Guardiola, Klopp and Arteta ;)

Christ, I am almost sentimentally attached to the long ball. Hoof it up field and everyone fight like fuck for the second touch,, John Beck (ex-Cambridge) stylee. HFOP.
Most goals are scored with 3 or 4 touches, not 20 passes across the back of the field.

Previously, I've credited Southgate (and the players) with making me feel a lot better about watching England than I had for a long time, basically since I was a teen.

This is such a slide backwards to how it was in between. I hate it feeling like this. This is just horrible.

Certainly not that the players are spoilt peacocks.

My hot take is that England’s top players are coached in very specific ways that work well in club football when your team is geared entirely towards playing in a particular system, but they struggle to adapt to the international game where you’re far more likely to be limited by personnel and the lack of time to work together and adapt to each other. Really skilled managers are able to overcome this to a certain extent (see Nagelsman for Germany), but it’s why I think you see smaller countries who play together more often, in less drilled club teams, able to perform well against the top countries.

Basically, I blame Guardiola, Klopp and Arteta ;)
Alternatively, it might just be Kane’s loser gene infecting the rest of the squad.

I mean I don't mind England playing boring passing defensive football and winning ugly.

I'm used to them losing in the later stages, so if they play entertaining and pacey football, try their very best and lose - so be it.

Combination of ugly football and the inevitable loss is painful to watch.

If something isn't working, you need to change it, which Southgate spectacularly failed to do at half time.

Back
Top Bottom