Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England v Germany - Tuesday 29/06 - 17:00

Predictions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lot of chatter about going to a back 3, which I don't quite understand given 5 consecutive clean sheets.

I get the rationale - Walker in the back 3 to give some recovery pace (Werner, Sane, Gnabry, Havertz are no slouches), presumably with James or Tripper replacing one of the front 3. But if we're defensively solid in a system the players are all starting to understand, why change it?

What I'd like to see:
Pickford; Walker Stones Mings Shaw; Rice; Phillips Mount; Sterling Kane Grealish

What I expect:
Pickford; Walker Stones Maguire; Trippier Phillips Rice Shaw; Mount Sterling; Kane

I dont think Germany are that good - definitely beatable.
Whilst they havent scored many England have conceded no goals and have beaten decent teams in croatia and the czechs (who were great against holland) without really playing at their best. Germany had to bust a bollock to get through their group and their defense looks vulnerable.
Weve not seen the best from England yet and the nature of the match plus home crowd at wembly may well lift their performances. We may even see Germany blown away.
Not saying its definite but I dont think there is any reason for England to be fearful. Id be far more worried if england were facing france, italy or even denmark.

I just hope we have a go at them. Would hate to go out sensibly.

I don't think there's any chance that England will suddenly adopt an attacking strategy and really go for it tbh. I think the whole point of the very safety first tactics that have been drilled into the team over the last few years is for games like this. It does make sense when you look at the normal 'lose the midfield against the first top team then get knocked out' pattern. Who knows it might even work. Boring though isn't it.

Best case - Germany score first. After much huffing and puffing Southgate sends on grealish and saka around the hour mark, englands attack is let off the leash and score 3 goals before full time.

Southgate Reverts to over cautious type in resulting q-final with sweden who end up winning on penalites after henderson blazes his shot over the bar.

Qualified by scrambling a draw at home v Hungary with ten minutes to go vs Qualified unbeaten top of their group :hmm:
The also beat Portugal 4-2.
Czechs have just blown away The Netherlands. Portugal out. We'll see how many 'group of death' teams make it to the quarters. My guess would be one.
Portugal out to the #1 team in the world, having just drawn with the world champions (and, incidentally, beating the team Germany could only draw with 3-0).

In with a realistic chance and that'll do me if we actually attempt to take it. Obviously getting beat not off the cards, what with it being a competition but more than hopeful.

Germany score early doors and England play very defensively from then on until out of frustration someone - possibly Maguire - causes a serious injury. Then Germany score another goal.

Back
Top Bottom