Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England local election results thread

They did - once the 2009 elections and where they take place in are put in place. By a mile.
Indeed. but you dont even need to mention 2009 or where they're taking place, they are actually straightforwardly ahead in numbers of votes. Even in the good years (I'll have to have a look for figures from closest to 97) I dont think they've done that before

Indeed. but you dont even need to mention 2009 or where they're taking place, they are actually straightforwardly ahead in numbers of votes. Even in the good years (I'll have to have a look for figures from closest to 97) I dont think they've done that before
Saw summat somewhere saying Labour reckoned they'd done even better than in 1997 in Harlow and Hastings for example

Are UKIP actually going to get to 100? They certainly dont look likely to explode well past that target, but I've done no analysis of the specifics of the areas still to declare in full.

To partially answer my own question, it looks like UKIP got at least 9 in Suffolk, 8 in Kent, and 5 in Cornwall, so they should end up with 100 or so given the 77 UKIP already declared ones the BBC are presently reporting (not final results and I'm missing a few other areas totally but they may not do much in those)

It'd have to be the 95/96 elections to compare. Oh hang on, you were saying that labour were able to win these is astounding, not the claim that they have won them being astounding - sorry. My mistake.

The Mayoral candidate was/is a very well know former Miners Wives activist, belboid will almost certainly know her, Mary Jackson. She was a pretty good locally respected activist.
Was expecting to do well in some of the outlying villages I believe?

Are you suggesting that UKIP's activists are well-balanced and judicious individuals?
Nope, that the country is sick of the current crop and is ready for a change, significant that the change is towards the right even after the last few years?

The Mayoral candidate was/is a very well know former Miners Wives activist, belboid will almost certainly know her, Mary Jackson. She was a pretty good locally respected activist.
Yeah, she's a really strong local candidate, well known and respected, and she has - with the Bedroom Tax - a strong issue to campaign around locally. twitter says she is beating the Libs - into 7th. A recount is apparently taking place in Donny at the moment.

Meanwhile, Weddington, Warwickshire, TUSC got 8 votes. That's eight, no missing digit.

Nope, that the country is sick of the current crop and is ready for a change, significant that the change is towards the right even after the last few years?

I wouldn't be surprised, it's not like recessions and crises in capitalism by default favour the left electorally. If there's fuck all class consciousness and fuck all by way of a nationally organised left movement then of course anti-establishemnt sentiment will go to the right electorally.

Yes, that's certainly interesting, and doesn't say much for the electorate, but surely no-one had high hopes for that lot. The good news is that the anti-austerity, populist party is so obviously a bunch of braying saloon-bar shits that they are unlikely to take much of the angry Labour vote, meaning that Miliband will tack towards an electable and sensible position.

The good news is that the anti-austerity, populist party is so obviously a bunch of braying saloon-bar shits that they are unlikely to take much of the angry Labour vote, meaning that Miliband will tack towards an electable and sensible position.

If that's the good news then don't bother telling me the bad news, I'll just shoot myself now and get it over with.

Totally significant -doesn't mean that the anger taking a right turn is a done deal, nor that a UKIP vote necessarily means the anger is right wing in itself. It means the right has, as ever the better options on doing electoral politics. There is no path to anything other than the same old shit through electoral politics though.

Oxfordshire
Conservatives lose to no overall control
C 31 (-21); Lab 15 (+6); LD 11 (+1); Ind 4 (+3); Green 2 (nc)

Think boundary changes there account for why the numbers don't add up

Is it all about resources? How much money does TUSC have, compared to UKIP? How many volunteers do they each have? I'd guess UKIP can afford some full time staff

Meanwhile, Weddington, Warwickshire, TUSC got 8 votes. That's eight, no missing digit.

Thats the seat that the tory county council leader lost to the greens. And the only one in Nuneaton & Bedworth that had a UKIP candidate, although if all their votes had gone to the Tory he would still have narrowly lost to the green candidate.

In my seat in Nuneaton the TUSC got 29, compared to 28 some independent bloke I know nothing about, 87 BNP, 162 Green, 165 ex-Labour bloke who got kicked out of the party for allegedly shouting aggressively at another party member, 252 Tory, and 1133 Labour.

That's probably best. The bad news is pretty grim, really.

Nah I'm only kidding. I can take it. I'm a Huddersfield Town fan - there's nothing that being involved in far-left politics can throw at me that'll ever match the perennial disspointment and cynicism of being a Town fan. Water off a ducks back.

We won the league 3 times in a row y'know.

Totally significant -doesn't mean that the anger taking a right turn is a done deal, nor that a UKIP vote necessarily means the anger is right wing in itself. It means the right has, as ever the better options on doing electoral politics. There is no path to anything other than the same old shit through electoral politics though.
So what is to be done? :)

Is it all about resources? How much money does TUSC have, compared to UKIP? How many volunteers do they each have? I'd guess UKIP can afford some full time staff

They have enough resources to be doing a lot better than they are, put it that way. Probably not as much as UKIP but enough to do a lot better in target seats.

I couldn't care less if they get 8 votes in some Tory shire, I don't think they could care either, but if they're getting the same derisory votes in Rotherham and Manchester central then you've got to be asking serious questions about the strategy.

So what is to be done? :)
In the short term hard work on bedroom tax and other sort of community based stuff, whilst using the organisation this provides to stop people getting booted out of their house, blocking baillifs or other small victories so that a viable fighting community exists. The rest of it is paste.

They have enough resources to be doing a lot better than they are, put it that way. Probably not as much as UKIP but enough to do a lot better in target seats.

I couldn't care less if they get 8 votes in some Tory shire, I don't think they could care either, but if they're getting the same derisory votes in Rotherham and Manchester central then you've got to be asking serious questions about the strategy.
What strategy? Standing candidates? Using them as a pole of attraction even though the only people who vote for them are already involved? There is no strategy.

No kipper swing? No candidates?

I cant be arsed to click on every single ward but of the 10+ I did click on, all had UKIP candidates. And plenty of them had the 20-25% share of the vote for UKIP, although some were more like 13-14%.

Back
Top Bottom