Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2024

I think one of the biggest tricks Bazball has played is to fool everyone into believing it exists. Normal thinking would say that India will win tomorrow, probably by about 150-200 runs. Jimmy Anderson is suggesting that the game may only last another 70 overs - because that's how long it will take England to score the 320-odd they still need. And he says it with a straight face. He believes it is possible. His teammates believe it is possible. India believe it is possible.

It probably won't happen, of course. India probably will win by 150 runs or so. But right now, we all believe this game isn't quite over yet. Which is quite the trick.

Hartley got lucky there.

Still feels like the end game but I've played in quite a few games that we've lost from here and it's really fucking annoying.

Last edited:
I think one of the biggest tricks Bazball has played is to fool everyone into believing it exists. Normal thinking would say that India will win tomorrow, probably by about 150-200 runs. Jimmy Anderson is suggesting that the game may only last another 70 overs - because that's how long it will take England to score the 320-odd they still need. And he says it with a straight face. He believes it is possible. His teammates believe it is possible. India believe it is possible.

It probably won't happen, of course. India probably will win by 150 runs or so. But right now, we all believe this game isn't quite over yet. Which is quite the trtrick.
They keep doing things that make it feel like it's a thing.

In India, on a deteriorating pitch - never mind 399, traditional thinking says 250 is far, far too many and the bowling team has got it in the bag. Not any more.

Job done! :thumbs:

All pretty standard fare in the end.

Loving this series. There's been something for everyone and the sides are too close to call. Bumrah's been awesome and Jaiswal is the most exciting youngster to come out of India since Sachin.

Bring on Rajkot!

Last edited:
I would prefer they do down swinging like this rather than prod their way to a huge defeat. It's brilliant theatre. Get rid of the two passengers, Bairstow and Rehan and I think you've got it.

Dunno about too close to call Spy. I reckon we (Pope) got lucky in the 1st test. I can see 4-1 India.

And if anyone is a passenger at the moment it's Joe Root. He's class, but hasn't shown it once yet in 4 attempts.

Well played India and yes, Jaiswal is scarily good.

I'm sure Dom's been away working on his reverse scoop lap sweep to get back into favour.

Can you imagine. At least Root has doubled his strike rate and produced some amazing shots at times. If he fails he fails but he's at least on the right page.

Yep I think all of us would have taken the series being at 1-1 after 2 test matches. Been a really great series so far.

Engalnd are such a maverick watch right now, which makes following the side compelling.

(LOLOLOLOL @ those on social media laughing at the boy Hartley after his bad first day of his debut. "Hartley is just not a test class spinner" says Rodger from Bromsgrove who was a handly slow left armer for his pub's third XI. Thise comments aged really well. Young boys need time and will be pish more often than not as they learn. But after that, they become first picks after a couple of seasons of confidence and backing)

Well, it's something

This is a massive shame. His full commitment to test cricket throughout his career has always been very vocal and demonstrably sincere. The ongoing commitment to the format of the top players has never been more important than right now. I'll respect his privacy over this and not question the decision, but I think it's a huge shame that he's missing and I really hope he comes back to test cricket later this year.

I love Virat. Completely passionate about the game. And the first to congratulate an opposing player on a great performance even after spendinig hours sledging him from the slips.

I believe his second child was due about now so I assume it's related to that, sadly.

Meanwhile, South Africa's third eleven are giving NZ's first team a game. I still think NZ will win, but they need 220 more with nine wickets. Could fuck it up.

Beddingham got a fine century. He's possibly the only player in the team who will be playing more tests in the future. I'm still pissed off about this series. Total disgrace.

Bediingham's a quality player. He'll see more action.

I did quite like seeing a 37yo overweight dude crying while making his debut for SA though, playing his first and last Test. Silver linings.

I remember first time I saw Keegan Petersen play a test and I thought he was a fine player. Looks totally out of sorts in this series. He could come back maybe, but by the looks of things he's been picked while he's totally out of form.

Well if day one was India's today was definitely England's. Got to laugh at the quotes from Vaughan they were putting up about how Duckett was being too aggressive and needed to slow it down. Great innings from him. Long way to go of course but definitely possible England could get a decent first innings lead here.

Bazballers keep on bazballing. Extraordinary stuff.

Whatever the result of this series, I think England are going to leave in credit. They've taken the game to India in India in a way that nobody has ever done before.

I'd still rather be India right now, but another session like that and I'll change my mind.

India were poor in that last session. Hopefully that won't happen again.

Also not a fan of the pitching outside leg rule where the whole ball has to be outside the line. If part of it's inside, that should do. Duckett's lbw was smashing into middle.

I still don't understand why other sides dont use the approach that England are. India is jam packed full of IPL players who could score at 100 easily but they still creak along at 3 an over. It's not like England's batsmen are massively talented. It's just the mentality.

Bazballers keep on bazballing. Extraordinary stuff.

Whatever the result of this series, I think England are going to leave in credit. They've taken the game to India in India in a way that nobody has ever done before.

I'd still rather be India right now, but another session like that and I'll change my mind.

I still hold to what I thought before the series - that it would be an achievement just to compete and one of their greatest series wins ever if they actually won.

They're certainly managing the first part. Who knows on the second, probably not but if they don't there's certainly no shame in that.

I can't see them getting a lead. I mean they'd need to score 600 on a pitch which the Indians are doing their best to scuff up. But it's a blast as always.

Dunno. But it's a pretty scant penalty. They should be taken out of the attack for the rest of the match. 5 runs isn't even a swipe of the mighty Zak Crawley's blade.

I still don't understand why other sides dont use the approach that England are. India is jam packed full of IPL players who could score at 100 easily but they still creak along at 3 an over. It's not like England's batsmen are massively talented. It's just the mentality.
The old virtues can still pay off. Lara's old dictum that you 'give the first hour to the bowlers' was followed by Kane Williamson vs SA last night. It works well enough for Williamson.

That's the beauty of the game - that there is more than one way to play it.

Back
Top Bottom