Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2024

Neither are you but I'm too polite to mention it.

Yeh well I'm not gettin paid quite a healthy wedge for bowling 5 totally incompetent overs. Clearly Stokes didn't back him. I thought he was supposed to be one of the selectors. Let's hope they 'let him go back to county cricket to learn his trade' as they always put it

Genuinely can't believe that. Woke up late and saw the 6th wicket fall, from there the Indian tactics of charging the spinners has been suicidal; is that pure scoreboard pressure or is the Indian brains trust really that daft?

Gotta start worrying a India not seeing their commanding leads through - thats now 2 fairly high profile 'chokes' (inc cwc final) in the last 6 months.

This was the biggest ever turnover of a first innings deficit by an away side in India.

wtf have they done to Stokes' mugshot on the graphics? and who the fuck is Ben Foakes' teeth whitener. I need in.

Genuinely can't believe that. Woke up late and saw the 6th wicket fall, from there the Indian tactics of charging the spinners has been suicidal; is that pure scoreboard pressure or is the Indian brains trust really that daft?
Well it's interesting the difference in approach compared to Pope's sweep sweep sweep, which I'm guessing he's learned from Root as that's his method in Asia.

But we're talking about lower-order batters here as well. Siraj has a test average of 4!

India missed Kohli today. I don't think he would have been out stumped.

Surely Pope and Hartley share MotM? You can't NOT give it to one of them.
I rarely say this, but it's got to go to the batter in this instance. It was the innings of the match from both teams and made with his team in complete shit. Without it, Hartley wouldn't even have bowled in the second innings.

Take nothing from Hartley but Pope's innings was career-defining. He's probably just played the best innings he will ever play. Dropped a couple of times, rode his luck. But fuck it. You need that in cricket.

Saw Anderson got a run around today. Wonder how often a 41-year-old is sub fielder.

I guess if Leach is crock, you sub Anderson in for him next game? Still have the left/right/leggie spin combo, but your left-arm spinner is now full of confidence. I don't mind England persevering with Rehan Ahmed. He can bat, and he may get it right next game with the ball.

A real team performance with the bat. Top nine all scored more than 30 runs.

McCullum/Stokes are big on loyalty and it has seemed to pay off (Crawley for example). So you never know. But the fact they only gave Rehan a few overs speaks volumes. A total passenger looking out of his depth being smashed to the boundary by tailenders.

McCullum/Stokes are big on loyalty and it has seemed to pay off (Crawley for example). So you never know. But the fact they only gave Rehan a few overs speaks volumes. A total passenger looking out of his depth being smashed to the boundary by tailenders.
A leggie like him is never going to be a stock bowler in India. Only leg spinner in recent history who's had success in India is Anil Kumble. He was tall, bowled fast darts that didn't turn that much, and relied on bounce as much as turn.

I'm going to talk him up, not down. He took two wickets and scored 40 runs. I like that England have batting down to number 9. Wickets fall in clusters in India. You need depth. Look at Rehan as an allrounder who provides an extra bowling option?

Just 3000 in Brisbane Spymaster to watch, among other things, Head's golden pair and his 4th consecutive first-baller at the Gabba (three in tests).

Fantastic result. Dramatic, entertaining test match.

I want to like Rehan, but I'm not seeing how his kind of bowling will work on international cricket - and I don't just mean the number of half trackers and other filth. He's too short, too little bounce and flight.

Gave a good account of himself with the bar at least.

Right so enough of this negativity.

Crawley, Duckett, Pope and Stokes all proved to themselves that they can score in India with their method. Root already knew.

The entire top 9 scored more than 30. They can do this.

And it is batters making runs that is key to success in India.

Who knows how the spinners will play out, but one game gone, one game England win! England's spinners won this first TM. Against Ashwin and Jadeja. They didn't even have the help of Bumrah. They should not fear anything.

To state the obvious, India are the team with problems right now, not England.

I don't think anyone's been negative, other than about Rehan who should go and play for the Lions for a bit. He wasn't selected for his batting. Bowling five overs is not good for someone who is supposedly a frontline spinner in India.

Oh and Jim Maxwell's tweet didn't age well :D

Stokes continues to confound.

Jadeja and Rahul out for the next test. India have a lot of strength in depth but Jadeja in particular is still a big loss.

Jadeja big blow. But so is Rahul, he was hitting form again after a dodgy last year or two.. He scored a century on Boxing Day against South Africa, 80-odd in the first innings here.

India do have about 22 players to pick from though.

I'm not joining any pile on against Ahmed but let's not get carried away littlebabyjesus. In the last series in India we won the 1st test too. We then scored 134, 164, 112, 81, 205 and 135, losing all three tests by 317 runs, 10 wickets, and an innings and 25 runs.

I think talk about India being the one with problems may prove premature.

What I would predict is raging turners. That Hyderabad pitch was decent. England underscored in the 1st innings then got lucky, Pope's own words, in the 2nd. India then collapsed to scoreboard pressure and some good bowling by one man.

(The link I posted with Stokes running out Jadeja, if you let it run, then has Hartley's ball to get Bharat. That WAS a magic ball, and sorely needed after a stand of 57 which was threatening to give the game back to India. Worth watching if you haven't seen it already).

That's what they did last time. Might not work quite the same way this time, though. England's batters won't be poking around waiting to get out.

Well, we'll see, and of course I hope it won't work the same. I remember screaming at Pope back then, "play a fucking shot" because it was obvious he was just killing time until one got him.

Interesting reading about England's preparation in Dubai or wherever they went. Got groundsmen to duplicate raging turners, then made them make it turn even more. Crawley et al were humiliated. But the thinking was 'better humiliation here than in India'.

We'll soon see if it's worked.

As part of England's preparations during their pre-tour training camp, ground staff at Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Zayed training complex were given creative instructions.
The grass on the pitches was to be shaved as close as Ben Stokes' fade, raked, then covered in sawdust. The aim was to recreate the most extreme surfaces they might encounter in India - then go even further.
Therein lay the true aim of this exercise from a batting point of view. Shake off the errors, snap out of the pearl-clutching previous English sides have taken to India when surfaces turn square and embrace the doubt. And if you get a good one, move on. Ultimately - commit to the bit that has served this group so well.
The results? Well, as intended. Batters were challenged to the nth degree, wearing deliveries on the shins or helmets. Personal wins were small, humiliation in abundance. Complaints, however, were zero.

Can't believe Rehan is even still there... if Stokes is choosing to open the bowling with Joe Root. He'll get another 5 overs of half trackers when the others get tired. And then might edge a few balls to the boundary. Who's actually selecting this side?

Back
Top Bottom