Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ecuador would like Julian Assange out of their embassy by the sounds of it.

From hazy memory in at least one of cases the victim / complainant had willingly gone to bed with him but then went to sleep and woke up to find him assaulting her. I don't know much about Swedish law but in the UK I imagine that would be hard to prove in a court, as are most rape cases depressingly.

Though there may be hope:

Cricketer guilty of raping sleeping woman

Slightly different case but still. What an absolute horrible cunt btw.

The Guardian: Give priority to Julian Assange rape claim, home secretary urged.
Give priority to Julian Assange rape claim, home secretary urged
Link above confirms that if sweden does seek extradition as well as the usa then it's the home secretary that decides which one takes priority.
This seems a far better position to take than the one Corbyn and Abbott were pushing yesterday
Julian Assange 'must face Swedish justice' if country asks, say MPs
More than 70 MPs have signed a letter urging the home secretary to ensure Julian Assange faces authorities in Sweden if they request his extradition. The Wikileaks founder, who is now in UK custody, was arrested on Thursday after years in Ecuador's London embassy.

Sweden is considering whether to reopen an investigation into rape and sexual assault allegations against him. And the US is seeking his extradition in relation to one of the largest ever leaks of government secrets, in 2010.

Doesnt seem far better to me.

Giving priority to Sweden does not mean don't give him up to the US government after. It means go to Sweden first IF they want him

Abbotts position doesn't contradict the Swedish bit of that "letter of 70", Abbott also said he should face Swedish system if swedes request it, but shouldnt be given up to the US. To be precise Abbott said "“If the Swedish government wants to come forward with those charges I believe that Assange should face the criminal justice system.” <how is that different from this far better letter?

Its "far better" if you want him given over to the US government. It doesnt take a position on that crucial issue.

Just talking to someone who is convinced of Assange's line that the whole Swedish prosecution was a conspiracy to get him to the US. Sweden refused to deny they had an extradition request from the US, thus proving they did have a request etc etc. I remember reading some refutation of all this some years back but it is ungoogleable now due to recent news. Does anyone know a good link about it?

From hazy memory in at least one of cases the victim / complainant had willingly gone to bed with him but then went to sleep and woke up to find him assaulting her. I don't know much about Swedish law but in the UK I imagine that would be hard to prove in a court, as are most rape cases depressingly.
Again if I remember correctly she only agreed to sex if a condom was used, but woke up to find him assaulting her without one. So she had explicitly refused consent and he knew it.

Just talking to someone who is convinced of Assange's line that the whole Swedish prosecution was a conspiracy to get him to the US. Sweden refused to deny they had an extradition request from the US, thus proving they did have a request etc etc. I remember reading some refutation of all this some years back but it is ungoogleable now due to recent news. Does anyone know a good link about it?

Why would they need to extradite him to sweden first? Instead of just sending him direct from the uk to the usa?

If I recall he wanted Sweden to guarantee he wouldn't be extradited to the U.S for any reason, and Sweden went

a) we haven't received a request for your extradition

b) we're not going to give you that guarantee because it would mean amending our extradition agreements in Parliament for you specifically and who the fuck do you think you are

The one thing that should concern us, I think, is Washington think it can have jurisdiction over someone who isn't a US citizen, and isn't resident in that country.

Now don't get me wrong, I do think JA should be extradited to Sweden, but the Washington thing does give me, as I said, cause for concern. . .

John Pilger whose views don't coincide with mine has written about it:

THE ASSANGE ARREST IS A WARNING FROM HISTORY

It doesn't matter what you think of Assange, or what anyone else but the Americans in power think - He's upset some big players and they'll be after him in whatever ways they can.

It doesn't matter what you think of Assange, or what anyone else but the Americans in power think - He's upset some big players and they'll be after him in whatever ways they can.
Well there's a surprise. The yanks want to prosecute him. They're going to be looking for evidence.

Back
Top Bottom