Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is that the detention etc, flowed from an accident. The Chinese weighed the situation, and responded as they did.

If the mission had gone as planned, ie shadowing with no accidental collision, there would have been no detention, etc. It was opportunistic.

Lowering a boat and then fishing an American drone sub out of the water, and sailing away with it, is an intentional act.

It was an oceanic survey drone. Anyone know what it was actually doing? Was it just measuring temperature, salinity, that sort of thing, or was it spying?

The point is that the detention etc, flowed from an accident. The Chinese weighed the situation, and responded as they did.

If the mission had gone as planned, ie shadowing with no accidental collision, there would have been no detention, etc. It was opportunistic.

Lowering a boat and then fishing an American drone sub out of the water, and sailing away with it, is an intentional act.
And my point is that doesn't look quite as stark an escalation when put in the context of the regular incidents in the South China Sea, both naval and in the air. it is noteworthy but not something completely out of left field.

The Hainan Incident was a mid-air collision; i.e. an accident, not an intentional act.

Military 'stalking' is a common practice amongst the worlds military powers.

The seizure of US military property by a foreign military in the Pacific hasn't happened for a long time. I could very well be wrong, but the last such incident I can recall in the Pacific, was the Pueblo Incident.

It's true that the US and China have been in dispute in the South China Sea for a long time; but this seizure of military property by China, constitutes an escalation of the dispute.

The fact that this unusual escalation comes a week or so after the President-elect has called the One China policy into question might just be a coincidence: anything's possible. :)

Remember the Chinese embassy bombing in Belgrade? Well, obviously not

That's all true. You haven't read the article, have you. I didn't summarise it well. Trump doesn't even try.

ETA. Trump is not just more of the usual. He is a step change that the press (such as remain) can't begin to engage with.
No I admit I haven't got around to reading the article yet (I'm at work atm but I will do when I get the chance). But the idea that the utter shamelessness of politicians regarding their hypocrisies is something new is crazy. Not only are their countless examples both modern and historical and a to the contrary but there's shed loads of art illustrating this trope.

Just two more examples that spring to mind
- the LibDems utter selling out of their pledge on tuition fees for another example, absolute no shame about this (and plenty of liberal fucks willing to absolve them for it)
- the biography of Tom Wintringham I'm currently reading has a chapter hightlighting the total turnaround of much the upper class from either fawning over or accepting Hitler to becoming dedicated anti-fascists

And my point is that doesn't look quite as stark an escalation when put in the context of the regular incidents in the South China Sea, both naval and in the air. it is noteworthy but not something completely out of left field.

We'll have to agree to disagree as to whether an intentional seizure of US military hardware by China qualifies as an 'unusual incident'.

Reactions: CRI
No I admit I haven't got around to reading the article yet (I'm at work atm but I will do when I get the chance). But the idea that the utter shamelessness of politicians regarding their hypocrisies is something new is crazy. Not only are their countless examples both modern and historical and a to the contrary but there's shed loads of art illustrating this trope.

Just two more examples that spring to mind
- the LibDems utter selling out of their pledge on tuition fees for another example, absolute no shame about this (and plenty of liberal fucks willing to absolve them for it)
- the biography of Tom Wintringham I'm currently reading has a chapter hightlighting the total turnaround of much the upper class from either fawning over or accepting Hitler to becoming dedicated anti-fascists
Oh please. It's not like that. At. All.

Trump added:

So nothing to see here, just the president-elect of the United States publicly picking a fight on Twitter with a union - got to wonder how long it's going to be before this kind of shit is accepted as the new normal.

His loveliness just keeps on shining through! WTF is the PEOTUS doing dicking about on twitter.

Next there'll be a UN forum where they can all log in and have squabbles with each other like we do on here, with any luck it'll save millions of lives and billions in property over the years to come.

metro_20161118_mfg_output-vs-employment51.png

Well lots of jobs disappeared as agriculture mechanised and mammoth hunting really isn't what it once was. The labour market has always been changing.

It's more about the "labour market" being discarded and hoyed in the ditch.
Globalisation and Neoliberalism and would be 'free trade deals' that actually allow corporations to sue democratically elected govts for 'loss of profits'
The latest edition is the Walloons being coerced into signing up for CETA.
Funnily enough the Trump seems to be against such treaties?
No doubt his new found supporters (cabinet) will 'educate him'

It was an oceanic survey drone. Anyone know what it was actually doing? Was it just measuring temperature, salinity, that sort of thing, or was it spying?
The pentagon said it was "part of an unclassified program to map underwater channels." Possibly for submarines?

Trump risks damaging intelligence agencies, warns former CIA chief

As opposed to what they are actually doing, liberals should be cheering on any estrangement between Trump and the 'intelligence community'. Trump is inheriting the sort of system of surveillance that Ceausescu and Pinochet could only dream of, the then hypothetical prospect of someone like Trump taking power is what privacy advocates used to (unsuccessfully) use to scare Obama Democrats into reconsidering setting up the architecture used for mass surveillance.

Just idly wondering what would happen, given the CIA claims of Russian intelligence services interfering with the election results and the FBIs ' Convenient' introduction of E-mail investigations at crucial times during the election.
If a 'credible link' was established that the FBI knew of the claimed Russian involvement yet covered it up?
What would be the upshot?
Agreed, might be a bit far fetched (Trumps election wasn't-;)
Given the 'rivalry' ( OK, pathological hatred) between the two organisations, it makes one wonder what might 'surface' in the next couple of days.

Because doing it in international waters is provocative.
Have you seen the Chinese claim? Runs right up to the coast of the Philippines. And from their point of view all US naval activity in the area is aimed at them. China's claims are pretty ridiculous but the US presence,carrier groups through the Taiwan Strait etc, is also clearly intended to provoke and a lot further from the coast of the US than this is from China. Big power bullshit all round.

Have you seen the Chinese claim? Runs right up to the coast of the Philippines. And from their point of view all US naval activity in the area is aimed at them. China's claims are pretty ridiculous but the US presence,carrier groups through the Taiwan Strait etc, is also clearly intended to provoke and a lot further from the coast of the US than this is from China. Big power bullshit all round.
Fair dos. China claims it so the US mustn't provoke them.

No you silly sod, all I'm saying is the US knows it will be seen as provoking and a response like the Chinese took will have been calculated. They're at this all year round.
Sigh. Of course. But the thing is they (the Americans) have done this provocative thing now and they (the Chinese) have taken it to the next level. It means something, which is that the Chinese won't be messed with, and as far as I can see the Americans don't have much to retaliate with unless they ramp it up to an insanely dangerous level, which they aren't going to do. The Chinese know that, and they have chosen now to do it to show Trump (Obama is a dead duck) who's in charge - or to challenge him to a fight he'll fail at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom