Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you use your local butcher?

LilMissHissyFit

Disturbed in a pink bra
If not? why not??

Do you have a good butcher near you even?? We have a lovely guy at the bottom of the road but hes always quiet, keeps going you know but I can see, its use him or lose him
His prices are about the same as the supermarket except for special offers which are often much cheaper and the quality is better ( for instance steak mince for the price of normal mince in tesco) Hes one of the only independent shops near us now. Greengrocers are long gone

I just wondered after the sausage thread whether other people use their local butcher?

Yes I use my local butcher. He no longer has a shop but has a large stall in the local market which is open three days a week.

Yes, there's a local butcher here. Cheaper (for the most part) than the supermarket. The mincer is in the main part of the shop which is great cos that means I have some confidence in what's being minced :D The other day I wanted some pork mince for lasagne, and even though they'd cleaned and dismantled it for closing, they quickly put it back together and minced some up for me.

The other day I was in the queue behind an OAP and the guy told her that they'd drop her meat off to her now that the bad weather was coming up and if she was having difficulty getting out.

They'll ask if you want things boned/skinned and are very good on quantities e.g. I'll just ask for enough for four and tell them what I'm cooking and they get the weight spot on.

Christmas time they have queues down the road of people collecting their orders of turkeys and geese.

It's a tiny shop, but very popular. Proper traditional butchers.

My butcher claims no-one uses him but he still manages three weeks in the carribean every year :D

big bag of bones for a pound. Cooked up as stock or roasted for the ever-hungry dog. Legend (value hummous)

I do have a local butcher, in fact it's a couple of paces away from my flat but I don't have the confidence to ask for weights and amounts in Korean unfortunately and I fear I'd end up with a kilogram of marinated pork or something.

I do have a local butcher, in fact it's a couple of paces away from my flat but I don't have the confidence to ask for weights and amounts in Korean unfortunately and I fear I'd end up with a kilogram of marinated pork or something.

You could try writing down what you want, would that work?

I don't buy meat from supermarkets, with the exception of free-range chicken from Lidl. Unfortunately our really good local butcher closed down a couple of years ago, so now I use the farmer's market, and a couple of other butchers locally. They're nearly always cheaper, for better quality, and you can get the cuts you want which supermarkets often don't stock.

yes

that way we know where our meat has come from.

whilst not even remotely veggie I want to know that the meat we eat was as free range etc as possibe.

Yep - best sausages in the world, gets game in sometimes (and on request), and the beef comes from Orkney, so on the very odd occasion I get a steak, it's fucking lush

One of the butchers also sells great big jars of pickled chilli shallots.

Fucking lush! :cool::cool::cool:

I don't buy meat from supermarkets, with the exception of free-range chicken from Lidl. Unfortunately our really good local butcher closed down a couple of years ago, so now I use the farmer's market, and a couple of other butchers locally. They're nearly always cheaper, for better quality, and you can get the cuts you want which supermarkets often don't stock.

I didn't realise they did free range anything in lidl.
I use a couple of local butchers but the bastards are always overcharging me.
He charged me pork belly prices last week for a load of ribs ,I went back the next day though and questioned it and he gave me a big bag of bacon .

Don't have one near us sadly so we use Sainsbury's - do buy stuff from the Farmers market sometimes but that is only once a month and the meaty stall isn't always there.

Actually since my butcher retired the best meat I've eaten since has come from a lovely farmer right here on the boards...sadly, no beef.

No, but I don't eat a lot of meat anyway. I occasionally eat pasties, curries etc. with meat in that someone else has prepared.

Sometimes. Dring's in Greenwich and the one whose name I can't recall next to Blackheath station are both excellent. Unfortunately I've got lazy and don't use them as often as I should. :oops:

Actually since my butcher retired the best meat I've eaten since has come from a lovely farmer right here on the boards...sadly, no beef.

Was the heilan cow link not any good for you Mrs M? Dunno if the other folk I buy from at the farmers market do web sales.

Don't really use the local butcher because the smell of blood and bleach makes my stomach heave. Prefer the farmers market where things are nicely vacuum packed.
Supermarket meat is dire :(

Back
Top Bottom