Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Runner bean slicer. Do you use one?

We just top and tail beans with a knife then pull off the string. Though sometimes just do it by snapping them, no knife.

Quails' eggs are really common here, don't think I ever even saw one back home.

Yeah they're seen as quite a posh thing, if I wanted to buy some in London I'd probably head to Waitrose or similar higher end supermarket.

Where I grew up though (and probably similar in other rural parts of the UK), quite a lot of people would keep quail in a hutch/run type thing in the garden, when I was a kid all the pet shops and some animal feed shops sold laying quail pretty cheap and they're smaller and less messy than chickens, so having quails eggs wasn't that unusual. I think probably big difference between urban and rural.

(Bit like pheasant, urban folks can think it's a bit posh, but in rural areas it's what you get offered cheaply in hushed tones in the local boozer, whereas in London it would be shoplifted steaks, salmon, and roasting joints from the nearest supermarket).

I've got one of these - it's brilliant.

swan egg steamer

I'm sure I bought a micro wave egg poacher based on your recommendation

Yeah they're seen as quite a posh thing, if I wanted to buy some in London I'd probably head to Waitrose or similar higher end supermarket.

Where I grew up though (and probably similar in other rural parts of the UK), quite a lot of people would keep quail in a hutch/run type thing in the garden, when I was a kid all the pet shops and some animal feed shops sold laying quail pretty cheap and they're smaller and less messy than chickens, so having quails eggs wasn't that unusual. I think probably big difference between urban and rural.

(Bit like pheasant, urban folks can think it's a bit posh, but in rural areas it's what you get offered cheaply in hushed tones in the local boozer, whereas in London it would be shoplifted steaks, salmon, and roasting joints from the nearest supermarket).
We were rural too and definitely got the poached game, so wonder if I'm just not remembering quail eggs.

This is the most ridiculous gadget I've seen in some time :D
After so many times messing up slicing the top off soft boiled eggs (e.g. too far down, puncturing the yolk, wee bits of shell everywhere) it’s really good and there’s no waste. I stop short of saying “godsend” as it’s only a bloody boiled egg but for a couple of quid and its small size, it makes breakfast a little easier if you’re still half asleep. I’d put it slightly above an egg ring in terms of its usefulness but it’s not a ridiculous expense for very little utility as some other gadgets can be. 🙂

Yeah, I think I've only ever seen them on sale there (perhaps M & S too). But it's nice to be able to eat dozens of boiled eggs on one sitting.

I always heard these referred to as runner bean stringers, when it actually meant de-stringer I suppose. I've never knowingly had one as they feel too middle class a device for me to posess. Same with the egg cracker (back of a spoon?) and the egg topper (knife & thumb?).

I thought the whole and only point of this activity was to take as much of the stringy bits out, rather than chopping them up.
Surely it'd be easier to just use a knife and chop 20 at a time :confused: y'know, like normals do :D
It’s to slice them lengthwise, which I wouldn’t want to attempt with a knife.

It’s for runner beans which, particularly when they get big and old, can be a bit tough if just chopped.

It’s not for the green beans commonly sold in supermarkets. In fact, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to put a green bean through one of these. I would just top and tail them. No slicing.

Young, fresh runner beans can just be sliced the other way with a knife (although at a slight angle, for some reason)

Yeah I still don't understand why you'd want to fuck your beans up like that
Because old runner beans can be chewy if just sliced.

Because runner beans sliced lengthwise are delicious.

I haven’t had runner beans for years though.

I pick my runners while they are young and tender. If I miss any and they get big and tough, they go on the compost. I just use a knife for any pre cooking preparation.

I have a runner bean slicer, but it doesn't look like that. I only use it if the beans are a bit old and stringy.

Mine looks like this one.

That’s the one I have.

Back
Top Bottom