Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you support an Austria-style lockdown of those not fully vaccinated against Covid-19?

Do you support an Austria-style lockdown of those not fully vaccinated against Covid-19?

• Total voters

editor

hiraethified
Thought it would be curious to see where urban stands on this particular issue - here's what a YouGov poll discovered:

FEWBV5uX0AMNTRH

I voted strongly support since it's the hardest line option available but I would prefer holding them down and forcibly vaccinating them or failing that little yellow stars on their clothing since most of them seem to be expecting that anyway.

It's not going to end well... I oppose it, not because I oppose the vaccine, but more because they will have to deal with potentially very strong reactions from those who don't want to be forced to be vaccinated.

I can refer you back to my favourite historical link for this

Because ignorance also leads to destructive uprises, it's not always a revolution... As more recently shown by Trump ;)

UK percentage vaccinated 82%, Austria 70%. At 82% through purely social conformity puts UK comfortablely in herd immunity zone, Idea of vaccination aaginst will a path that need not concern us, thankfully. Permissable under EUropean law though.

UK percentage vaccinated 82%, Austria 70%. At 82% through purely social conformity puts UK comfortablely in herd immunity zone, Idea of vaccination aaginst will a path that need not concern us, thankfully. Permissable under EUropean law though.
In my London borough, the numbers are 61.5% and 55.3%. It's similar for neighbouring boroughs too. Maybe we need an inner-ish London lockdown...

(And yes, I know that wouldn't work, just pointing out that lots of our vaccination numbers aren't great either.)

In my London borough, the numbers are 61.5% and 55.3%. It's similar for neighbouring boroughs too. Maybe we need an inner-ish London lockdown...

(And yes, I know that wouldn't work, just pointing out that lots of our vaccination numbers aren't great either.)
60% and 52% here, I never checked before but I'm not surprised at such low numbers.

Where are those figures from? The Johns Hopkins tracker puts it at 65% fully vaccinated in Austria vs 69% n the UK.

If hospitals are getting overwhelmed with people who did their own research, a lockdown for the unvaccinated might be a step along the way to locking everybody down again, but there are plenty of steps to go through first, including providing proof of vaccination for indoor dining etc.

60% and 52% here, I never checked before but I'm not surprised at such low numbers.
No, me either. And IMO, they've been pretty on the ball here too. (And are doing things like handing out LFTs in the high street too.)

puts UK comfortablely in herd immunity zone, Idea of vaccination aaginst will a path that need not concern us, thankfully.
The 'herd immunity zone' was massively overhyped and the protection against infection and transmission havent been shown to be strong enough to achieve the simplistic version of herd immunity. There are still other versions of it lurking though, including the mixed approach where the UK allowed many millions to be infected in recent months, gaining some immunity a different way.

In the UK but also in many of the other countries facing a bad wave now, rhetoric continues to give vaccination too prominent a role. It and percentage of population vaccinated, boosters etc of course remains massively important, but so are the other non-vaccine measures that can hope to reduce number of infections.

I still have no solid predictions about how things will pan out i the UK in the next few months.

I support restrictions when they are necessary to keep infection numbers down. I dont generally support lockdowns that only target the unvaccinated though, if you need to do it then it should be done more broadly than that, especially since vaccinated people can still catch and transmit the virus.

Last edited:
Where are those figures from? The Johns Hopkins tracker puts it at 65% fully vaccinated in Austria vs 69% n the UK.

If hospitals are getting overwhelmed with people who did their own research, a lockdown for the unvaccinated might be a step along the way to locking everybody down again, but there are plenty of steps to go through first, including providing proof of vaccination for indoor dining etc.
88% and 80% in the UK from UK Summary | Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK.

The 'herd immunity zone' was massively overhyped and the protection against infection and transmission havent been showed to be strong enough to achieve the simplistic version of herd immunity. There are still other versions of it lurking though, including the mixed approach where the UK allowed many millions to be infected in recent months, gaining some immunity a different way.

In the UK but also in many of the other countries facing a bad wave now, rhetoric continues to give vaccination too prominent a role. It and percentage of population vaccinated, boosters etc of course remains massively important, but so are the other non-vaccine measures that can hope to reduce number of infections.

I still have no solid predictions about how things will pan out i the UK in the next few months.

I support restrictions when they are necessary to keep infection numbers down. I dont generally support lockdowns that only target the unvaccinated though, if you need to do it then it should be done more broadly than that, especially since vaccinated people can still catch and transmit the virus.

There was nothing wrong with herd immunity underlying theory, just the hospitization and death rates (at the begining) were such that it meant chickpox party approach was beyond sociopathic. Improvement in treatments and doing it with vaccination, good thing. Fuckers that toxified the term in Spring 2020 did nobody any favours.

Ropey winter but light at end of the tunnel for Spring (and its not an oncoming train)

"Lockdown for the unvaccinated" seems more like a turn of phrase than anything else - under the Austrian rules, the unvaccinated could still go to work if they tested negative, which is apparently more than they would have been able to do in Italy.

There was nothing wrong with herd immunity underlying theory, just the hospitization and death rates (at the begining) were such that it meant chickpox party approach was beyond sociopathic. Improvement in treatments and doing it with vaccination, good thing. Fuckers that toxified the term in Spring 2020 did nobody any favours.

Ropey winter but light at end of the tunnel for Spring (and its not an oncoming train)
It was oversimplified and then misused, thats whats wrong with it. Not just in 2020 either.

There has been plenty of news in recent months about how the 2021 version of UK herd immunity plans have not delivered the hoped for results. Partly because a lot of those doing the hoping were just using it to support a dream about ditching all other measures prematurely.

The immunity picture via infections and vaccinations is still a really important element, and if the UK ever manages to get to a point where infection levels fall to a low level instead of us being stuck in a wave thats gone on for many months already, I'm sure we will hear much about it again. I cant even say anything confidently about spring, since some modelling implies another wave could hit the UK then, but that will be influenced by what happens with case numbers over winter and I dont want to make assumptions.

The infection rate is evidence that it provides scant tranmission protection and lockdowns were doing the heavy lifting. I know plenty of unvaxxed and it is just a personal decision and framing them as an ignorant threat to society is ridiculous.
We have a vaccination that prevents to a large degree serious illness and slightly mitigates against tranmission for a fee months. I don't think a single person in any profession should be forced to have it to keep a job, and to be clear were not talking about home working middle-class people. Its working class people that would and are having this non vaccine pushed on them by bosses and Tories. So I'm against it.

To be clear: I am moaning as ever about the excessive focus on vaccines at the expense of other measures that are clearly still necessary for this winter despite what some want to believe.

Take for example Ireland, with one of the best vaccination rates in this part of the world, and the new measures they are feeling the need to impose. Because health care systems are still struggling to cope with the burden, even in the vaccine era. Admittedly there have been some flaws with Irealnds booster jabs campaign, and I do not seek to marginalise the role of vaccines, but the emphasis on them at the expense of everything else is a deadly mistake and I'm so sick of it at this point.

It was oversimplified and then misused, thats whats wrong with it. Not just in 2020 either.

There has been plenty of news in recent months about how the 2021 version of UK herd immunity plans have not delivered the hoped for results. Partly because a lot of those doing the hoping were just using it to support a dream about ditching all other measures prematurely.

The immunity picture via infections and vaccinations is still a really important element, and if the UK ever manages to get to a point where infection levels fall to a low level instead of us being stuck in a wave thats gone on for many months already, I'm sure we will hear much about it again. I cant even say anything confidently about spring, since some modelling implies another wave could hit the UK then, but that will be influenced by what happens with case numbers over winter and I dont want to make assumptions.
Effectiveness of this tranch vaccines were overhyped. I think they were hoping for more than reduced hospitization rates, but it has.
Next tranch of vaccines r&d looking good + plus treatments that are beoming effective enough that should be down to flu level mortality rates next year

Yes I have spoken positively about how treatments and other preventatives will gradually change the picture in the years ahead. For now I mostly focus on necessary things for the coming months.

Comfortably in herd immunity zone? Don’t think so.

I voted strongly support since it's the hardest line option available but I would prefer holding them down and forcibly vaccinating them or failing that little yellow stars on their clothing since most of them seem to be expecting that anyway.
I voted strongly support mainly because it would be funny to see the reaction if the government announced it.

Back
Top Bottom