Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you support an Austria-style lockdown of those not fully vaccinated against Covid-19?

Do you support an Austria-style lockdown of those not fully vaccinated against Covid-19?

• Total voters
To be honest, I'm pretty much in favour of anything that winds up the kind of cunts who harass schoolchildren in the street with aggressive anti-vaxx scaremongering.
Except that such a move would most likely encourage them to indulge in more anti-vaxx scaremongering and loonery, not less.

Making public policy on the basis of winding up people who one dislikes or disagrees with is rarely either sensible or effective.

The Dutch protestors are burning bicycles in the streets in disgust at the new restrictions.

I thoroughly approve, but pretty random! :D
I'll wager that the dutch far right are mixed up in this nonsense. Thierry Baudet reckons Soros is behind covid and so on.

Last edited:
Except that such a move would most likely encourage them to indulge in more anti-vaxx scaremongering and loonery, not less.

Making public policy on the basis of winding up people who one dislikes or disagrees with is rarely either sensible or effective.
So you think anti vaxxers should be free to continue harassing and filming young children outside schools and in the street?

Fun though.

In some places like Wales you can either be vaccinated or show a negative lateral flow test within the last 48 hours. Of those two groups I'd guess that the unvaccinated but tested negative group would be less likely to be carrying infection and transmit the virus to others. This begs the question why require vaccines at all, why not just require negative tests from everyone?

In some places like Wales you can either be vaccinated or show a negative lateral flow test within the last 48 hours. Of those two groups I'd guess that the unvaccinated but tested negative group would be less likely to be carrying infection and transmit the virus to others. This begs the question why require vaccines at all, why not just require negative tests from everyone?
The cost I'd imagine.

:thumbs:

DIY or done at a test centre ?
LF or PCR ?

I swabbed myself and got a negative postal PCR.
With hindsight, I wouldn't trust that.

Last edited:
It's the part of my post he quoted, so I'm asking for his opinion on the matter. I do hope that's ok with you.
Except it quite clearly comes across not as simply asking me for my opinion, but as seeking to attribute to me an opinion which is in no way suggested by my post, and is in fact the very opposite of what I'm saying.

Unfortunately this sort of dishonest posting from you is something which has become all too frequent, on a variety of subjects.

Still, if you effectively want to suggest that pissing off people you disagree with is more important than a measured, effective and properly thought out response to Covid which might actually help to save lives, you go right ahead.

It's the part of my post he quoted, so I'm asking for his opinion on the matter. I do hope that's ok with you
why are you asking though? you know that someone saying 'policy aimed at winding up dickheads is counterproductive' isn't posting in support of the dickheads.

Except it quite clearly comes across not as simply asking me for my opinion, but as seeking to attribute to me an opinion which is in no way suggested by my post, and is in fact the very opposite of what I'm saying.

Unfortunately this sort of dishonest posting from you is something which has become all too frequent, on a variety of subjects.

Still, if you effectively want to suggest that pissing off people you disagree with is more important than a measured, effective and properly thought out response to Covid which might actually help to save lives, you go right ahead.
Might have been easier to just answer the question rather than deliver another of your long, self righteous pompous lectures. Just a thought, like.

But I'm sure you've got data on the average number of people infected by someone who has given a negative lateral flow test within the last 48 hours.

The data on the reliability of LFTs in detecting asymptomatic infection is easily accessible, and it's not very confidence inspiring.

But anyway, it came up in relation to entrance to venues, and you guessed that LFTs were better than vaccinations, and asked why require vaccinations at all. In the 2 hours since you seem to have gone from guessing to being certain LFTs within 48 hours were superior. I'm suspecting you're making this up for a reason that's more to do with your position against lockdowns than actual evidence.

The data on the reliability of LFTs in detecting asymptomatic infection is easily accessible, and it's not very confidence inspiring.

But anyway, it came up in relation to entrance to venues, and you guessed that LFTs were better than vaccinations, and asked why require vaccinations at all. In the 2 hours since you seem to have gone from guessing to being certain LFTs within 48 hours were superior. I'm suspecting you're making this up for a reason that's more to do with your position against lockdowns than actual evidence.

As people are infectious both before and after they develop symptoms, an LFT doesn't have to be particularly accurate to be superior to vaccination in reducing onward transmission, especially given the very limited ability of vaccination to prevent infection.

And I'm not against lockdowns, no idea where you got that from. I'm against "an Austria-style lockdown of those not fully vaccinated against Covid-19", as are you unless you voted incorreectly in the poll. :confused:

so platinumsage are unvaccinated people going to have to video themselves taking the test and get a signed affadavit that there was no sleight of hand or incompetence ?

My preference is that you either close venues or require them to have measures such as masks and social distancing, or you don't. No point messing about at the margins with entry requirements.

If the aim is stop entrants to a venue from infecting other people, then a negative test is superior to vaccination but no test.
what about if the aim is to reduce the incidence of COVID in society at large and also to reduce the pressure on the NHS? A more general rather than a specific goal. Looking at the bigger picture.

Back
Top Bottom