Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you support an Austria-style lockdown of those not fully vaccinated against Covid-19?

Do you support an Austria-style lockdown of those not fully vaccinated against Covid-19?

• Total voters
h
80% volentary take up? 3 Booster program needs effective roll out, but in the zone
How the fuck can we be "in the zone" for herd immunity with 30 thousand cases a day still happening, you're talking bollox

h

How the fuck can we be "in the zone" for herd immunity with 30 thousand cases a day still happening, you're talking bollox
the number of daily cases may only have been higher after Xmas and the football, but the number of patients in MV beds isn't currently trending totwards lockdown

UK percentage vaccinated 82%, Austria 70%. At 82% through purely social conformity puts UK comfortablely in herd immunity zone,
Under 70% of the UK population currently fully vaccinated. But that's moot because with delta and sublineages it's likely that classical "herd immunity" is not possible to achieve anymore. That option appears to have been squandered.

the number of daily cases may only have been higher after Xmas and the football, but the number of patients in MV beds isn't currently trending totwards lockdown
Nice attempt to divert, I'll repeat the point that your statement of being in the zone for herd immunity is bollox

Sky News reported earlier that Germany is bringing in restrictions on the unvaccinated in certain hard hit regions.

What denominator is that figure using? The Guardian has ~69% but I think that is based on NIMS rather than ONS...
And what's their figure for Austria?

Hopkins has UK at 68.99% and Austria at 65.45%

saw where I went wrong with the reuters data
UK Assuming every person needs 2 doses, that’s enough to have vaccinated about 83.1% of the country’s population.

Austria - Assuming every person needs 2 doses, that’s enough to have vaccinated about 72% of the country’s population.

so looks like the difference is that Ausria is way behind on boosters..

What denominator is that figure using? The Guardian has ~69% but I think that is based on NIMS rather than ONS.
Ballpark total headcount. NIMS v ONS only relevant where stratifying by age. The point being not to ignore the swathes of the population you haven't bothered to vaccinate yet. The virus doesn't care.

e2a: Also doesn't factor in that seroconversion is <100%, plus various aspects of immunity are functions of time.

Last edited:
Whatever keeps deaths down/extreme pressures of off hospitals. I'd rather see the non-vaxxed denied entry to pubs, clubs, etc (if this actually works) than a lockdown for everyone.
Prioritising putting 3rd jabs in thems that want it rather than pressuring thems that don't into having first seems the better plan.

In my London borough, the numbers are 61.5% and 55.3%. It's similar for neighbouring boroughs too. Maybe we need an inner-ish London lockdown...

(And yes, I know that wouldn't work, just pointing out that lots of our vaccination numbers aren't great either.)
Why are they so low where you live do you think Sue ?

I supported the lock down for unvaccinated people ..
Having said that my sister cannot be vaccinated and is cocooned all the time.
I feel very sorry for people who cant be vaccinated.
They have been lumped in with anti vaxxers.

Not sure but guessing the high proportion of BAME/young people is a factor. As I said, it's similar in neighbouring boroughs too.
Yeah. It’s shame that high density housing, inter generational living, and lots of long term conditions also go along with that picture. It’s a recipe for higher mortality figures.

Yes, strongly in favour. When it comes to some matters, “freedom” takes second place, certainly when scores of preventable deaths are at stake, and the arguments proposed by the opponents are not just plain wrong, but Young Earth Creationism-level of fruitcakely fucking wrong. If that makes me a little Hitler, so be it.

I'm not sure about it, I'm not sure how really helpful or plausible to apply is a lockdown of unvaccinated people, given the levels we've seen even with relatively high levels of vaccination here. I don't think it would convince all that many to vaccinate if they were that against it?

I'm not sure about it, I'm not sure how really helpful or plausible to apply is a lockdown of unvaccinated people, given the levels we've seen even with relatively high levels of vaccination here. I don't think it would convince all that many to vaccinate if they were that against it?
You’re probably right. Allowing and encouraging private businesses from restaurants to bars to cinemas and everything else non essential to bar non vaccinated people on the other hand would get on their tits so much that most of them would choose to get the jab in a few short months.

They wouldn't do it though.
Not for all them, but I reckon for the majority. Certainly once you add up foreign travel and the likes. A lot of them are reasonably well off in my perception, enough to at least partake in dining out, cinema and theatre outings, and foreign holidays. How long are they willing to pariah themselves to permanent exclusion from most leisure activities?

Not for all them, but I reckon for the majority. Certainly once you add up foreign travel and the likes. A lot of them are reasonably well off in my perception, enough to at least partake in dining out, cinema and theatre outings, and foreign holidays. How long are they willing to pariah themselves to permanent exclusion from most leisure activities?
The businesses wouldn't do it I mean. They won't exclude unvaccinated people unless it's compulsory.

Back
Top Bottom