Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DNA, finger prints cetera lost...

Reading between the lines I wonder if it's related to "It comes after around 40,000 alerts relating to European criminals were removed from the same database, the PNC, following Britain's post-Brexit deal with the EU." - the fact that it says the data was incorrectly marked for deletion.

Pure speculation but sounds to me like maybe a bad SQL query.

Some years ago I found out that everything is backed up so if you deleted everyone off the library management system in error they could have the records restored. If the cops don't have a similar means to restore to how things were a few days previous I would be very surprised. After all this can hardly be the first time someone deleted something they weren't meant to. Pity it won't be Patel's head rolling

Some years ago I found out that everything is backed up so if you deleted everyone off the library management system in error they could have the records restored. If the cops don't have a similar means to restore to how things were a few days previous I would be very surprised. After all this can hardly be the first time someone deleted something they weren't meant to. Pity it won't be Patel's head rolling

I’m assuming that’s what “issue resolved” means. Still, they shouldn’t save a persons data if no action is taken.

I'd imagine there are data protection and policy issues as well as technical involved though. A library management system would quite rightly have a backup system in place that would allow retrieval of data in cases of stuff being delete erroneously.

However in the case of the police computers I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mode of deletion that means stuff is properly deleted to a standard that intentionally can't be retrieved. The fact this is in the news and they're making a big thing about how it's not important data anyway indicates that it's been properly deleted rather than just deleted and recovered which would hardly be newsworthy.

I'd imagine there are data protection and policy issues as well as technical involved though. A library management system would quite rightly have a backup system in place that would allow retrieval of data in cases of stuff being delete erroneously.

However in the case of the police computers I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mode of deletion that means stuff is properly deleted to a standard that intentionally can't be retrieved. The fact this is in the news and they're making a big thing about how it's not important data anyway indicates that it's been properly deleted rather than just deleted and recovered which would hardly be newsworthy.

The exact opposite of what I thought, and what has been suggested then.

However in the case of the police computers I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mode of deletion that means stuff is properly deleted to a standard that intentionally can't be retrieved.

You'd think it would be a two-stage process though, delete and then after a week say confirm delete.

I'm generally in favour of the state not retaining DNA and fingerprints of people who haven't been convicted of any crimes, so I cautiously welcome this fuck up.

Where do you stand on the state retaining the details of those who accept a caution?

Everything in the institution not just the library stuff was backed up. If the cops can lose a load of stuff by pressing delete and saying yes they're sure perhaps they need to revisit the resilience of their systems. Note to hackers - how well do you think the cops are prepared for a ransomware attack?

It is not possible to retrieve lost data.

This is why the firm that supplied the cladding at Grenfell were unable to cooporate with the enquiry. Lost data. Its a bummer. But thats how it is. And computer forensics is definitely not a thing.

I wonder what was in this lost data.

Back
Top Bottom