Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Denormalisation of alcohol

Rather depends where you're going. If we're all drunk and it's into battle or version thereof. YSWIM. Drunk.

Exactly, we’re all drunk, it’s a communal experience. All of us getting drunk and running into battle is a bit like football hooligans isn’t it, eh.

One person getting drunk to demonstrate some kind of high status while we all stay sober and have to follow their lead just seems idiotic and counter intuitive to me

Last edited:
The need to get off one's face or chemically altered even to a small degree is an ancient universal human trate. Even some other species do it. For all this talk of problem drinking, how terrible drunk people are etc. Sometimes you just need to slide into tempory oblivion or approach and have a peak at it from a safe distance.
I do actually completely agree with this. I like getting off my head. There is a need for it. But we shouldn't have a system where the only legal option is alcohol, and it shouldn't be available and pushed at you at every turn.

It’s exactly what you said , the bit where you said “where the leader proves his or her ability not to be overly befuddled by fermented tree sap”.

The entire tribe is drinking the fermented tree sap. The people who fall over after only two gourds lose status and no-one wants to shag them or be led by them.

The entire tribe is drinking the fermented tree sap. The people who fall over after only two gourds lose status and no-one wants to shag them or be led by them.

Okay that’s more clear, but it still makes no bloody sense. If everyone is drunk and one person is more capable than everybody else, how are the drunk people able to make that judgement? Or is there a panel of sober people over on one side giving marks out of ten on who is most sober?

Doing some kind of obstacle course and the one who doesn’t fall over is the winner. So it’s some kind of preindustrial Takeshi’s Castle?

Or maybe the people who fall over after two gourds get up early and start organising shit while the rest of the tribe is sleeping, which might be how morning people evolved

There is a theory for how come people sleep at different times which I do really like. I’ll find a link and come back and post it later I need to do something else right now

Exactly, we’re all drunk, it’s a communal experience. All of us getting drunk and running into battle is a bit like football hooligans isn’t it, eh.

One person getting drunk to demonstrate some kind of high status well we’ll stay sober and have to follow their lead just seems idiotic and counter intuitive to me

It does seem a bit odd. But I like hearing these theories even if they might be nonsense.

There was always a bit of a social cache (SP) in drinking a shit load but keeping it together, back in my youth anyway. Not that it proved to be of any particular evolutionary advantage...

No it’s even better than that.

It’s called the sentinel hypothesis.

Owls and Larks (can occur in the same genetic family) and changes through life, all explained by this theory. Communal vigilance is conferred by staggered sleep cycles amongst different age groups.

I drink at home 99% of the time and brew most of what I drink. I come from a family of alcoholics (dad, grandad, brother) and on my Ma’s side, everyone drinks heavily but are functional/unaffected by it. I fall somewhere between the two and have to be vigilant that I don’t fall into the former camp. I have very much inherited my Ma’s ability to drink vast quantities with little effect and have stopped going out to pubs as, in public, as such consumption can be quite alarming (& expensive). I drink every day but have put strict limits on it - almost like a measured dose of medicine. Takes the conviviality out of it but that’s OK since its treated like the hard drug it is and medicalising it makes me face it head on.
I hear that and are pretty much the same consumption ability wise, both Mrs Numbers and I - it's frightening what we can get through if on it. If out socially the end of night we're the ones who ensure others are safe in their cabs home etc. and we always seem to be the last ones standing yet be first one up the next day, very rarely with a hangover.

However, the other night (Wednesday) we were back in Ireland for what would have been my Dad's 80th birthday and neither of us remember getting back to the hotel (+ I have cracked ribs) which irked/irks me because it's not the norm' (but is innocent enough as I was trying to match my 6 year old nephew doing roly poly's / cartwheels), even tho' we got back late (maybe 2am) and can't remember we still made it for breakfast for 8:30am - but in conversation with my brother and mate the last cpl of days I'm not surprised of the memory loss when we recall the day and what we got up to/put away.

It's not big, it's not clever, we can just put it away.

I hear that and are pretty much the same consumption ability wise, both Mrs Numbers and I - it's frightening what we can get through if on it. If out socially the end of night we're the ones who ensure others are safe in their cabs home etc. and we always seem to be the last ones standing yet be first one up the next day, very rarely with a hangover.

However, the other night (Wednesday) we were back in Ireland for what would have been my Dad's 80th birthday and neither of us remember getting back to the hotel (+ I have cracked ribs) which irked/irks me because it's not the norm' (but is innocent enough as I was trying to match my 6 year old nephew doing roly poly's / cartwheels), even tho' we got back late (maybe 2am) and can't remember we still made it for breakfast for 8:30am - but in conversation with my brother and mate the last cpl of days I'm not surprised of the memory loss when we recall the day and what we got up to/put away.

It's not big, it's not clever, we can just put it away.
We’re the last ones standing at most gatherings as well and, like you say, it’s a clue as to how things are. Irish stereotypes don’t help much either in terms of family attitudes which tend to characterise it all as just a bit of a laugh.Mrs SFM comes from similar stock as me and she is capable of as the same ridiculous consumption. Perhaps we subconsciously chose each other all those years ago 🙂

Some evolutionary biologist or other (maybe Jared Diamond?) has a theory that drinking and other drug taking is a display of ability to sustain damage from poisoning while remaining upright, and cognitive disturbance while still being able to function, so it signals status within the group and viability as a mate without requiring an actual fight or other dangerous task.

Apparently it comes from The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond.

- Jared Diamond has suggested that one reason ppl engage in displays such as drinking, smoking, drug use, & other costly behaviors is b/c they serve as fitness indicators.

I’m still not buying it, it don’t make sense to me, because it makes no sense in evolutionary terms to squander one’s fitness long term on dangerous pastimes like getting drunk and smoking tabs, anyway smoking tabs is a very recent thing, as I said before tobacco was a ritual plant, not something used all day long. You don’t get ill from that kind of tobacco use. You can be impaired any and every time you drink alcohol. And also there are much easier immediate ways to test and demonstrate fitness, like jumping up and down very high, throwing yourself off a bamboo platform with vines tied round your ankles, or just, yunno, dancing and singing. The dangerous stuff is one and done, you either die or survive, and there are safety measures involved, and you get better at doing it each time. Smoking and drinking is accumulative harm.

Probably more suited to its own thread though. But I’m curious enough to look into it further.

I think that two different kinds of evolution are being confused: social and biological.

Why would the consumption of alcohol be a product of biological evolution? For that to be the case, it would have to be true that once upon a time the bodies of most humans could not tolerate alcohol, and that now they can. There is no evidence that once upon a time average human bodies could not tolerate alcohol.

For an ability to tolerate alcohol to evolve, that would mean that those able to tolerate it would produce more children than those unable to tolerate it. Which I suppose could be true. Those unable to tolerate alcohol might be too ill to reproduce; but this seems unlikely.

Social evolution is another thing. Societies may evolve to put a premium on the consumption of alcohol in some way.

I think that two different kinds of evolution are being confused: social and biological.

Why would the consumption of alcohol be a product of biological evolution? For that to be the case, it would have to be true that once upon a time the bodies of most humans could not tolerate alcohol, and that now they can. There is no evidence that once upon a time average human bodies could not tolerate alcohol.

For an ability to tolerate alcohol to evolve, that would mean that those able to tolerate it would produce more children than those unable to tolerate it. Which I suppose could be true. Those unable to tolerate alcohol might be too ill to reproduce; but this seems unlikely.

Social evolution is another thing. Societies may evolve to put a premium on the consumption of alcohol in some way.
Exactly what I was going to say — the whole story is a confusion between phylogenetic and sociogenetic (and even ontogenetic, arguably). For drunkenness to be a phylogenetic adaptation would require that humans were making alcohol long enough in our past that there has been time for genetic adaption to take place. But we’ve only been making alcohol for something like 10,000 years, as I understand it. That’s a remarkable speed of phylogenetic change. “Ah,” the argument goes, “but maybe it’s other types of poison, rather than alcohol”. Really? So ancient tribes routinely and reliably had access to the type of naturally-occurring toxins that inebriate but don’t kill, and had this access in a sufficiently systematic way that it could form the basis for an actual phylogenetic alteration? 🤔

It makes much more sense to me that displays of ability to handle toxins would be result in sociogenetic adaptation, whereby the rituals of drunkenness would become inscribed in cultural practices.

I think in the specific - that alcohol was a way of demonstrating fitness - it's a bit daft. I mean don't most primates tolerate alcohol? But rates of tolerance to alcohol between different populations might have an evolutionary component. See also lactase persistence etc.

Exactly what I was going to say — the whole story is a confusion between phylogenetic and sociogenetic (and even ontogenetic, arguably). For drunkenness to be a phylogenetic adaptation would require that humans were making alcohol long enough in our past that there has been time for genetic adaption to take place. But we’ve only been making alcohol for something like 10,000 years, as I understand it. That’s a remarkable speed of phylogenetic change. “Ah,” the argument goes, “but maybe it’s other types of poison, rather than alcohol”. Really? So ancient tribes routinely and reliably had access to the type of naturally-occurring toxins that inebriate but don’t kill, and had this access in a sufficiently systematic way that it could form the basis for an actual phylogenetic alteration? 🤔

It makes much more sense to me that displays of ability to handle toxins would be result in sociogenetic adaptation, whereby the rituals of drunkenness would become inscribed in cultural practices.
We do actually know that the effect of any drug is in part determined by the cultural context. Intoxicated people will tend to behave in a way determined by social norms.

We do actually know that the effect of any drug is in part determined by the cultural context. Intoxicated people will tend to behave in a way determined by social norms.
Quite — that’s why I also mentioned the ontogenetic!

Reactions: PTK

ayahuasca, mushrooms etc ended with shamans/etc in various places based a lot on being the one taking the substance and had status

ayahuasca, mushrooms etc ended with shamans/etc in various places based a lot on being the one taking the substance and had status
“In various places” is really not systematic enough to be the basis of phylogenetic adaptation, though. And by the time you have have shamanic tribes, you already recognisably have modern humans anyway.

“In various places” is really not systematic enough to be the basis of phylogenetic adaptation, though. And by the time you have have shamanic tribes, you already recognisably have modern humans anyway.
I mean it's almost every continent it happened on. Then transference of the status to simple authority figures fulfilling the same role. Depends on your definition of ancient versus modern, North Sentinel island is still ancient. Some other areas were only discovered recently historically speaking, then what counts as modern? If areas progressed at different rates then its comparing apples with oranges and imposing a set definition that may not fit the culture.

Only just heard of that term, some quick googling says it seems to be incredibly difficult to actually measure in any way and there's flaws in most research on it.

I do know your job tho so not going to try and consider my stats knowledge versus your own on something I just heard about.

I think in the specific - that alcohol was a way of demonstrating fitness - it's a bit daft. I mean don't most primates tolerate alcohol? But rates of tolerance to alcohol between different populations might have an evolutionary component. See also lactase persistence etc.

Not just primates.

Some birds get drunk on fermented berries, and then can’t fly, or die in drunken flying incidents.

There’s anecdotal evidence that elephants like to get drunk. And stories about elephants being given booze so they’ll be more courageous in war settings.

And Fruit flies seek solace in booze if they can’t get laid.

It just makes no sense for humans to observe animals getting drunk and think “hey that’s a really good way to test and demonstrate that I’m stronger and fitter than the other bloke”. Especially when there are so many other more obvious ways to do it. And as kabbes points out, much much older more established ways for doing that.

I mean it's almost every continent it happened on. Then transference of the status to simple authority figures fulfilling the same role. Depends on your definition of ancient versus modern, North Sentinel island is still ancient. Some other areas were only discovered recently historically speaking, then what counts as modern? If areas progressed at different rates then its comparing apples with oranges and imposing a set definition that may not fit the culture.

Only just heard of that term, some quick googling says it seems to be incredibly difficult to actually measure in any way and there's flaws in most research on it.

I do know your job tho so not going to try and consider my stats knowledge versus your own on something I just heard about.
For a change in human DNA to occur requires a very long time period.

Hmmm…

Plenty of places where the whole group, including children, regularly use mind altering substances. Some places reserve it for the priest class, some places everyone uses but only the priest class have access to the spirits for wisdom, some places there’s a distinction between when it’s used by everyone and when it’s only the shaman.

The point is that if you want to argue that humans underwent biological, genetic change in order to adapt to a process by which the better pissheads got more totty then you need to show how that adaptation ended up presenting itself across all humanity. By the time humans are living on every continent, that’s a hell of a challenge. You either need a population that is small and isolated enough that a change in that population ends up being the basis for the whole species, or you need the adaptive pressure to present itself systematically enough that it somehow affects an entire dispersed species in the same way.

Reactions: PTK
Back
Top Bottom