Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cycling Track

“When that happens you can lose so much time… my only chance was to crash and get the restart,” said Hindes, who admitted that neither Hoy nor Kenny had been fazed by his actions.
“I think they knew I’d done it on purpose,” he said. We were speaking yesterday,that if anything happens someone has to crash. So I did it.”
Chris-Hoy-cries-on-the-po-010.jpg

twats

How is it 'antipodean bile' btw? Genuine question.Where does my nationality come into it?

You're Irish. Do I give a fuck?

Thought you might have been siding with your neighbours. They don't like the Brits. Not that they will have any friends left after Hindes display today. (the British media are of course reporting him as German-born).

Think this is why i like the trade teams.

Queen Vic aint covering herself in glory either with this interview. Cycling boards seem to be of the opinion she should have taken the rap as Jess is relatively new to all of this and that's her Games over whereas Pendleton has two more cracks at a medal.

"It happens so quickly when you are full speed in a team sprint. Jess moves up and that's my cue to take over but it was a metre or so too early, unfortunately," said Pendleton.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18912097

PS It's my prerogative to change to pic in the OP if she comes out with more shite.

Thought you might have been siding with your neighbours.

No - not siding with my neighbours (who are from Somalia for the record).

This just seems like blatant cheating in a sport which really seems to need sort its rules out. The 'discretion' rule is bizarre enough - 'diving' when you've had a poor start reminds me letting your mate restart in pub pool when he gets a miscue. Surely the start is part of the race.

According to the article the UCI have said they're not doing anything, the French Fed aren't raising a complaint and there aren't any rules to specifically deal with that situation. I guess there may be a generic 'spirit of the game' type rule it may fall under, but it's a moot point anyway by the looks of things.
I wouldn't go so far as calling it cheating. From what I understand It seems Hindes manipulated a loophole in the rules. Therefore it's open for the opposition to use too. As far a the "spirit of the game" goes, at least he was honest about it and has highlighted the loophole, which can now hopefully be closed. He needs to be commended for his honesty at least.

The truly honest thing to do would be to bring the loophole to the attention of the authority before the competition.

The truly honest thing to do would be to bring the loophole to the attention of the authority before the competition.
I'm sure a "British-Born" cyclist would have :D
Seriously though, the rule is quite patheticly written:
THE RULE IN FULL FROM UCI - Cycling Regulations Team Sprint section 3.2.154 Qualifying rounds: In the event of a mishap, the team must restart at the end of the qualifying rounds.
Any team which may have been hindered by a mishap to its opponents may, by decision of the commissaires' panel, be granted a restart at the end of the qualifying rounds. In the qualifying rounds a team may only be permitted two starts.
Your definition of 'honesty' doesn't correspond to mine
What's not honest about admitting it on tv?

That was stupid, not honest.

I can imagine Sir Chris in the wings cringing and frantically waving at him to stop talking.

I didn't see it. Just read the transcript... Dont think they could've been over the moon anyway at his 'honesty'

Considering the antics of the ither teams in refusing to try and win the road race so as to deny Cav a chance of a medal, and stories coming out of the sailing that other teams are ganging up to try and thwart Ainslie, then I am now quite prepared to accept the cyclists antics, especially as it now seems there isnt actually a rule against it, so not cheating at all!

cycling weekly said:
In qualifying, his first experience of the Olympics, his rear wheel slipped coming out of the gate and he lost control of his bike. As he entered the first banking he dropped to the ground to bring about restart. In his interview on the BBC after the podium presentation he said he had crashed on purpose to earn a restart because he wasn't please with his start. In the press conference minutes later he changed his tune and was adamant that he had simply lost control when his wheel slipped and never regained it.

No other teams have appealed the result and no repercussions are expected, although others might not be happy in winning in such a way.

I didn't see it. Just read the transcript... Dont think they could've been over the moon anyway at his 'honesty'
They are trying to put it down to a misunderstanding as English is his second language and his answer was misinterpreted,bollocks.

Nobody refused to try and win a medal. The Brits got their tactics wrong, simple as. Not sure what you're talking about with the sailing, either.

edit: in reply to 1927.

Nobody refused to try and win a medal. The Brits got their tactics wrong, simple as. Not sure what you're talking about with the sailing, either.

Germany and Australia neednt have bothered turning up, they just coasted round as if it was a training ride, giving their possible medallists no hope.
As for the sailimng if you dnt know what I'm talking about I suggest you find out before commenting!

Germany and Australia neednt have bothered turning up, they just coasted round as if it was a training ride, giving their possible medallists no hope.
As for the sailimng if you dnt know what I'm talking about I suggest you find out before commenting!

Goss would have got Bronze at best. Far more noble to gamble on Gold, imo. Plus they had a rider in the break so didn't have to ride. Likewise, Greipel obviously wasn't in great form. Why burn his lead out bringing the race to a sprint he probably wouldn't win? Far better to bluff the Brits and gamble for gold. It didn't come off, but it's not because everybody in the world is ganging up on poor Cav.

As for the sailing, I'm aware of the incident I think you're talking about - one of his opponents calling a protest over him touching a buoy? I just don't understand the 'ganging up' angle.

Considering the antics of the ither teams in refusing to try and win the road race so as to deny Cav a chance of a medal, and stories coming out of the sailing that other teams are ganging up to try and thwart Ainslie, then I am now quite prepared to accept the cyclists antics, especially as it now seems there isnt actually a rule against it, so not cheating at all!
Spot on!

They are trying to put it down to a misunderstanding as English is his second language and his answer was misinterpreted,bollocks.
Maybe it isn't bollocks.
Interviewer Jill Douglas then asked him: “So there was a bit of kidology there? Hindes appeared to not understand the phrase so she then asked: “So you were trying to pull a fast one there?” Hindes then replied: “Yes, I was trying to get a fast start and get everything perfect."
They picked up on the "yes" in his answer.
On the time trial the Germans refused to lead the peloton to share the effort with team GB. In doing so they showed their unsporting side and evectivly cut off their nose to spite their face.
In the sailing:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19102904
Ainslie claimed Hogh-Christensen and Dutchman Pieter-Jan Postma teamed up against him, forcing him to do a penalty turn in race two.

No, they refused to share the load because they could. Team GB could have sat up and forced them to, but they had bought into their own hype and kept riding on the front for 220km. More fool them.

That was stupid, not honest.

I can imagine Sir Chris in the wings cringing and frantically waving at him to stop talking.

Especially as Hindes said all three of them had talked about the "what if" situation BEFORE the race:facepalm:

Utter balls about the RR. If they didn't feel up for it they all get to race another day. With the intensity of the pro cycle season it's nigh impossible to contest every race. The Olympic RR was a much bigger deal for GB as it was on home soil.

This has just come up on the BBC's live text feed

News from the velodrome now. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) and world cycling's governing body the International Cycling Union (UCI) both say Britain's gold medal in Thursday's men's team sprint will stand despite Team GB's lead-off man Philip Hindes admitting he deliberately crashed to force a restart after making a slow start to their heat.
British Cycling later claimed German-born Hindes' comments were "lost in translation".
Asked if the IOC would be looking at the result, its spokesman Mark Adams said: "At present there are no plans to do so. Our view is that people were not deprived of a contest." A spokesperson for the UCI added: "We do not have any reason to question the result of the race."

compared to the badminton:
one rule for one a different rule for another?

Are we talking the RR again? If anyone should be criticised it should be the French. They put a track sprinter in their team who promptly withdrew after the first few clicks.
Anyway we never knew why tony martin withdrew after 75km. maybe they decided he was fit enough to give the TT a real go so the German team decided they could;t form a train without him and left it up to GB to do the work. As it was Martin did more time at the front than Froome.

Are we talking the RR again?
I think they were referring to Hindes' mishap.
If anyone should be criticised it should be the French. They put a track sprinter in their team who promptly withdrew after the first few clicks.
Anyway we never knew why tony martin withdrew after 75km. maybe they decided he was fit enough to give the TT a real go so the German team decided they could;t form a train without him and left it up to GB to do the work. As it was Martin did more time at the front than Froome.

Team GB RR manager sees it differently:?

"The Germans told us they would put a rider up front early on to help keep tabs on the early break but what they didn't tell us was that Tony Martin was going to pull out early," Ellingworth said. .
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/28/mark-cavendish-coach-criticise-teams

Well they knew Martin had a bad injury from the TdF and was going in the TT a few days later. Hardly the biggest surprise in the world.

Thing is if you have no variant on Plan A let alone a Plan B things will go unstuck. They pulled the tactic off fine at the 2011 WC but the Olympic course was harder to control.

Back
Top Bottom