Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cycling (Road Race and Time Trial)

I was on Boxhill on saturday for the mens RR. Only just clocked the comments on here about the coverage...we were stuck with the duclet tones of Anthony MaCrossan through a PA and were got almost nothing in the way of riders names, splits, crashes, abandonments...we had fuck all knowledge of what was happening other than what we saw with our own eyes, I was timing the breakaways with my watch. After the 9th pass of the riders we hiked up the hill to the big screen which had no sound(!) and just the embarrassed occasional voice of Mr McCrossan..gap was 53 seconds...then it was 42...then back out to 51.

The time reporting of this race was a fucking shambles. There was also only 1 helicopter (there were 2 in the practice event last year), a moto1, a moto2 and that apeared to be it. I don't think the riders had any better info....if they'd had radios they'd have been just as blind. GB fucked up, Froome added nothing to the team and was on the front for only 1 ascent of Boxhill. For me it would have made more sense to have Ben Swift of Geraint Thomas in the team and they needed someone up the road, the world and his wife knew the GB strategy from weeks out. Froome dropping out drew several boos from where I was watching, the feeling is he's kept his powder dry for Wednesday and made Wiggins work harder than he should have. Stannard was the best GB rider by fucking miles btw.

Vino winning is possibly the worst possible result for cycling. It wasn't possible to fuck up a sprint any more than Uran did.

Agree that Thomas is probably GB's best classics rider, but he's concentrating on the track this season. Silly boy that he is. (Although he obviously thinks an Olympic medal is worth it). Also agree on Froome, although he's fucking earned a shot at something given how many times Sky have fucked him.

Finding the tabloid coverage hilarious though.

Also agree on Froome, although he's fucking earned a shot at something given how many times Sky have fucked him.

A friend who I saw on saturday was at 2 weeks of the TdF. She's fluent in French and read L'Equipe every day. L'Equipe did one of their technical specials on Team Sky and concluded that Froome actually came third in the list of riders doing time for Wiggins on the front after Porte and Rogers. They also concluded that in the crucial last part of Cat 1 and HC climbs the split on the front as 55% Froome / 45% Wiggins ie not that different. The editorial was pretty scathing on Froome, saying he had a good eye for the camera and where to position himself 'like an actor on his mark' and that his sudden 30 seconds of madness where he shot up the road was nothing other than forcing a humiliation on Wiggins...which they didn't dig as it was disrespecting the jersey. Its certainly made me question his seemingly saintly devotion to the cause.

Apparently the Olympics like to call all those who win a medal 'champions'. In their eyes 'champion' doesn't just mean "overall winner", it means "won a medal".

What a load of nonsense. The champion is first place.

Michael Johnson didn't win four silver medals. He won four gold.

Michael Johnson's own experiences as an iconic four-time Olympic champion

goldrush.JPG

A friend who I saw on saturday was at 2 weeks of the TdF. She's fluent in French and read L'Equipe every day. L'Equipe did one of their technical specials on Team Sky and concluded that Froome actually came third in the list of riders doing time for Wiggins on the front after Porte and Rogers. They also concluded that in the crucial last part of Cat 1 and HC climbs the split on the front as 55% Froome / 45% Wiggins ie not that different. The editorial was pretty scathing on Froome, saying he had a good eye for the camera and where to position himself 'like an actor on his mark' and that his sudden 30 seconds of madness where he shot up the road was nothing other than forcing a humiliation on Wiggins...which they didn't dig as it was disrespecting the jersey. Its certainly made me question his seemingly saintly devotion to the cause.

Doesn't surprise me that he did the least amount of work. He was there to babysit Twiggins up the mountains so no point burning him out controlling the break. As for disrespecting the leader's jersey, Sky did a pretty good job of that at la Vuelta when they made the race leader ride as a lowly domestique for a weaker rider.

I imagine that Froome believed he would be allowed to be team leader in at least one GT when he signed with Sky, and the fact that they didn't even let him try and go for the stage win to Peyragudes when the yellow jersey was secured must have been pretty fucking galling.

What a load of nonsense. The champion is first place.

Michael Johnson didn't win four silver medals. He won four gold.
Again, faulty argument. What one champion did or didn't do is irrelevant, it's about necessary and sufficient conditions.

To be honest, I don't know if what OU is claiming is true or not, but the only way to find out is to find what the Olympic definition of a 'champion' is. Saying "that's not someone else's definition of a champion" or "this other champion didn't do that" are both ultimately faulty arguments.

I suspect if you asked Armistead if she was Olympic Champion she'd be a bit confused, let's put it like that.

i saw ze germans on sat, got hit in the face by an olympiads chocolate bar, for arguements sake it was team GB's and it will be going on ebay :D

damn pic wont show :(

There was speculation on Twitter about a brown envelope. Kazakh oil money could make it a very, very fat one.

And he (Vino) has form for that sort of thing (alledgedly). Truth be told though, when I saw which two riders had gone off the front, it was obvious (to me) who would win.

Dammit, I wanna go to the time trials on Weds but am meant to be at work and not sure I can blag a day swap after being off sick most of last week :(

it think it was the Americans , ever heard of a ' Mojo ' bar ?

if it was i may now sue for hurting my eye and my feelings :mad:

Back
Top Bottom