Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cycling Track

"To not allow me to ride in a three-minute race, which I can do with my eyes closed, practically, and let me pick up my Olympic gold medal was just vindictive".

I'm sure everyone would like a free gold medal for zero effort, but that's not how it works.

She has trained same as the rest of them.

I've already registered my disgust to the world about Wiggins being called "Wiggo" and I'm not convinced with "Pendo" being bandied around either. It really does just look like "Paedo" if you're not reading carefully enough.

Maybe she should've spent less time getting her kit off in magazines and more time reading the rulebook

FFS, you really do take the biscuit. Maybe if the Aussie hadnt tried to elbow her off the track she wouldnt have needed to swerve out of her lane!

First loser...

I was surprised at her tactics in both races, to me looked like she went for it far too early both times. I know basically nothing about track cycling though.

I think in race 2 she didnt go early enough, she caught Meares napping and went for it but hesitated and let her back!

Spare a thought for Wendy Houvenaghel. She's had an even worse Olympics than Jess Varnish. And she's too old to compete again. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/cycling/team-gbs-wendy-houvenaghel-hits-out-at-vindictive-treatment-that-denied-her-gold-medal-8014743.html

So she is trying to argue that the selection was wrong! A squad whi beat the world record 6 times in 6 races? To claim that an unwell rider was selected is just sour grapes and doesnt do her any favours at all!

I've already registered my disgust to the world about Wiggins being called "Wiggo" and I'm not convinced with "Pendo" being bandied around either. It really does just look like "Paedo" if you're not reading carefully enough.
"Wriggly Braddins" is much better, but it's not catching on. :(

First loser...

I was surprised at her tactics in both races, to me looked like she went for it far too early both times. I know basically nothing about track cycling though.

I'd say you've read it correct. Second time was a complete capitulation. It all makes sense after watching the docu - it smacked of desperation to get out of the sport.

Cycling has been the real discovery for me in these games.. hugely enjoyable.. I don't think "Pendo" should've been relegated. Very harsh. :cool:

I'd say you've read it correct. Second time was a complete capitulation. It all makes sense after watching the docu - it smacked of desperation to get out of the sport.

That came across in the post-race interview as well.. just relief it was over.

We'll done meares. Great champion.

Absolutely. Totally deserved both wins. The overshoes and toestraps had the whiff of socks and sandals but fashion faux pas aside she was as hard as nails physically but more crucially mentally over VP. She is a farm lass too and viewed as a bit of a hick by a lot of Aussies, certainly showed the rest of the under performing Aus track team what the time was.

That came across in the post-race interview as well.. just relief it was over.

Then she should have left years ago...I found that docu harrowing, we all lack the character to quit jobs, move home, do something else. There is something inherently wrong with wanting to keep riding round and round a wooden oval for a job if you're not 100% into it. She seemed to exist to please others, not herself. I hope she'll be happier with life after British Cycling.

Back
Top Bottom