Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

I see McCalls have ventured into new territory with their early Spring sewing pattern collection: Women's Zippered Bodysuit by Yaya Han

Probably not going to make this.

On a completely unrelated note :hmm:, talking about sewing leather, which people were on the previous page, I once made alterations to a leather jacket just on my granny's trusty old Singer. It was a handcranked model that had been adapted to electric.

On a completely unrelated note :hmm:, talking about sewing leather, which people were on the previous page, I once made alterations to a leather jacket just on my granny's trusty old Singer. It was a handcranked model that had been adapted to electric.
I wondered if a domestic machine would work on soft leather. :)
I'll be seeing my friend who made the leather bags next week and I'm going to ask if she'll let me use her machine, under her guidance though as I think they are expensive and wouldn't want to break it :)

I'll be seeing my friend who made the leather bags next week and I'm going to ask if she'll let me use her machine, under her guidance though as I think they are expensive and wouldn't want to break it :)
I think on thinner leather, as long as you have a leather needle in, it'd be ok on a normal machine. But the kind of hide you need for a pinny would be tough stuff.

You can also get a 'teflon' foot which supposedly helps you to sew leather - I have one but have never used it. I think if you stick to sewing a maximum of two layers, it could be OK.

I think I'll see how my friend feels about me using her machine that she used for making the leather bags. I'm sure she'll be fine but I want to make the apron myself and she may want to take over as she'll be more used to sewing leather.
Also, I need to buy the hide first :oops::D

I see McCalls have ventured into new territory with their early Spring sewing pattern collection: Women's Zippered Bodysuit by Yaya Han

Probably not going to make this.

My dad reckoned that up until about the '90s you could still get various leather-sewing feet for manual Singer machines. He also still owns one himself (a presser foot).

Not really stuff I'm working on but random stuff I've made.
12552933_10208401830107361_1194957644601419575_n.jpg

I can never get my silver to look like silver in a photo :(
Anyway, this is a neckthing, not sure what to call it as it's rigid and necklace doesn't sound right. I made it before christmas and sold it to someone I work with. I like it so I'm going to make some more but use different textures on them.
I'm trying to build up some stock for when I finally find studio space. After the floods in Hebden at christmas, the place I had my eye on is no longer :(
12513875_10208425350695361_6997556755176603523_o.jpg

Anyway, this is a neckthing, not sure what to call it as it's rigid and necklace doesn't sound right. I made it before christmas and sold it to someone I work with. I like it so I'm going to make some more but use different textures on them.
I'm trying to build up some stock for when I finally find studio space. After the floods in Hebden at christmas, the place I had my eye on is no longer :(
that's stunning!

Hi Shirl. It's usually about diffused lighting. I once did a set of pictures of a (bloody massive) coin collection for someone - for insurance purposes - and one of the things I discovered is that direct light - either flash, day or lamp light - tends to either reflect awkwardly, "tint" the metal or look utterly flat. I ended up using three lights - old-fashioned angle-poisy office lamps - with "daylight" bulbs, with muslin draped over the shades. That way the coins got a decent amount of light, but it wasn't harsh enough to tint the metal or cause annoying reflections. You can google "photographing jewellery" for tips on how to take pics of specific items, too.

Hi Shirl. It's usually about diffused lighting. I once did a set of pictures of a (bloody massive) coin collection for someone - for insurance purposes - and one of the things I discovered is that direct light - either flash, day or lamp light - tends to either reflect awkwardly, "tint" the metal or look utterly flat. I ended up using three lights - old-fashioned angle-poisy office lamps - with "daylight" bulbs, with muslin draped over the shades. That way the coins got a decent amount of light, but it wasn't harsh enough to tint the metal or cause annoying reflections. You can google "photographing jewellery" for tips on how to take pics of specific items, too.
Thank you. :)
I think you may have given me advice before :oops::facepalm: I need to take some lessons :D
Also, I'm not keen on selling on line so I've not needed to take really good pics but that's no excuse. I should just learn how to take proper photos :rolleyes::D

Back
Top Bottom