Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

20160127_084113 (800x450).jpg

I've been working on a painting called 'Grounds for divorce' whoa oh oh oh whoa wo wah
Polishing a compass that I hold in my sleep, whoa
Doubt comes in on sticks, but then he kicks like a horse, whoa
There's a Chinese cigarette case and the rest you can keep
And the rest you can keep
And the rest you can keep

Not really stuff I'm working on but random stuff I've made.
12552933_10208401830107361_1194957644601419575_n.jpg

''manacle of love''

You make beautiful things :D

finally went into the studio today. thought it would be quiet, wasn't expecting so many of them in...

but now i have - i hope - all the materials and equipment i need to make a special book. it needs to be a good one <3

eta: oh one of my folded books was accepted for exhibition. chuffed.

it's a japanese tissue. it costs (me!) £15 to interleave a book with it, which is why i don't sell those ;) but the dye in the chiyogami papers can sometimes transfer if a book's read often. a single front and back page protects whatever's posted/written there.

starting on a new project, at least for the next few days until the application deadline :thumbs :

messing with copper tape and my dymo printer atm. it's a book project and needs text but i want to work in copper/enamel so i'm hoping this is a half-decent way to render the text.

dymo labels are textured which i'm hoping will allow me to work with them like inlaid wire/cloisonne techniques.

I got a plain grey jumper in the sales which I want to embroider on but am a bit uncertain how to approach it, ie whether it needs backing, how to apply the design etc :hmm:

I got a plain grey jumper in the sales which I want to embroider on but am a bit uncertain how to approach it, ie whether it needs backing, how to apply the design etc :hmm:
When they embroider on T-shirts etc with machines, they use lightweight iron-on interfacing underneath to stabilise it and then cut or tear off the excess once the embroidery is done. This would work if you are trying to do small patches of detailed embroidery, but not if it's something where you need the jumper to still stretch.

The embroidery pencils (where you trace a mirror version of the design onto tracing paper and then iron it on) work surprisingly well - but maybe not on a grey jumper.:D

When they embroider on T-shirts etc with machines, they use lightweight iron-on interfacing underneath to stabilise it and then cut or tear off the excess once the embroidery is done. This would work if you are trying to do small patches of detailed embroidery, but not if it's something where you need the jumper to still stretch.

The embroidery pencils (where you trace a mirror version of the design onto tracing paper and then iron it on) work surprisingly well - but maybe not on a grey jumper.:D
I'm thinking wash-away stabiliser at the moment. I've got a vintage transfer I want to use - if I can transfer it onto the stabiliser that could work. I'll have to buy some and experiment.

I just tried a bit of lightweight iron-on interfacing on an old cashmere jumper and didn't like the effect. It made the whole thing a bit stiff.

I'm thinking wash-away stabiliser at the moment. I've got a vintage transfer I want to use - if I can transfer it onto the stabiliser that could work. I'll have to buy some and experiment.

I just tried a bit of lightweight iron-on interfacing on an old cashmere jumper and didn't like the effect. It made the whole thing a bit stiff.
I noticed they have a variety of interfacing including some lightweight stetchy stuff in Simply Fabrics when I was in there recently.

Back
Top Bottom