Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

Lovely! Looks like we're both on an ebay mission at the moment. I'm watching so many things I can't keep up and forget to bid.

Have you tried rust-oleum furniture paint? It still needs waxing but cheaper then Annie Sloan.

I have bought some but not used it yet. I've decided I am not allowed to buy any more furniture or paint until I have finished all the stuff stacked up in the garage, but it's become a bit of an addiction. :)

I'll be remaking a funky patterned polyester satin top I almost made last week end. I was looking forward to wearing this week, I'd got it fitting really nicely and it was almost finished.

I just had the hem to do and was pressing it with a iron on setting 1 - when it MELTED! <snip>
(((friend ofdorothy))) Why the hell would anyone make fabric which melts like that on such a low setting? :mad:

Still, at least you'll know that you've got the fitting right this time.

(((friend ofdorothy))) Why the hell would anyone make fabric which melts like that on such a low setting? :mad:

Still, at least you'll know that you've got the fitting right this time.
I blame an iron malfunction. It actually started steaming (after it melted the fabric) which it shouldn't be able to do on that setting, so it must have been too hot. Arghhh. Anyway with colourful melted polyester all over it its good for nothing.

RIGHT. It's going to be a dress. I am wielding the scissors :eek:
So. It's a sleeveless dress with a square neckline. I'm going to line the whole thing I think, may as well. I might even put a bit of net on the skirt lining if I feel enthusiastic. Should I put some interfacing in the bodice lining do we think? The main fabric is some kind of medium-light weight artificial silk, reasonably crisp but not rigid, and the lining will be standard lining fabric.

I'd use the facing pattern to make the interfacing pieces.

Tomorrow I'll be making Easter Bonnets with elderly people at work. Have lots of old old hats, some new £1 hats and some poundshop headbands to build fascintors on - it will be chaos with flowers, feathers and eggs.

They have an Easter Parade on Easter monday with prizes.

make some of these! :D admittedly i'm not sure how you can shoe-horn them into easter :hmm:

for_sale___just_peachy_by_deeed-d86bnus.png

I have one of these wee fellas:
Jupiter12-3LG.jpg

It's a 35mm f2.8 lens with an L39 (Leica Screw) mount. They're generally fantastically-sharp lenses, but the mushroom-like rear glass element is damage prone. I keep mine swathed in bubble-wrap in a lens-keeper. Rear lens caps deep enough to fit are totally "hen's teeth".
It occurred to me that if I cut away the top part of a standard L39 rear lens cap (using a perspex cutter), then epoxied another rear lens cap onto the remaining "ring" of the first lens cap, I'd have a rear lens cap deep enough to protect the rear element, without costing me the £25-30 a "proper" cap would cost (if I could find one).
It worked!

I'm still weaving, mostly with scrap material b/c of cost issues. But it's nice to be able to fiddle around with something, I'm in my own little bubble and listen to music and think about things and it's helping me organise my thoughts more- also I need a bit of tactile training as I've always been a bit detached from the physical world (growing up I always preferred to just sit and read books instead of playing with other kids), and I often feel almost like I can't feel myself in space, I can't feel my body at all and that everything's just flat... anything physical like this helps me re-connect with the three dimensional physical world... It's nice.

And upon realising I have, erm- six woven wallhangings (not counting those made by me), this made me laugh:

10950536_338686189666529_1858374364_n.jpg

Is it all sheet silver, Shirl ? Have you tried that silver clay stuff?
I've not tried clay. Some of the people at college use it but at home, they don't really use it on the course although now we can more or less do want we want.
I'm sticking with sheet for now because there is still plenty of stuff I want to try with it. Although hammering that bangle was a bastard :D

I've not tried clay. Some of the people at college use it but at home, they don't really use it on the course although now we can more or less do want we want.
I'm sticking with sheet for now because there is still plenty of stuff I want to try with it. Although hammering that bangle was a bastard :D

Sorry to be nosy, but did you use a form to shape it on,and/or a sandbag?

Sorry to be nosy, but did you use a form to shape it on,and/or a sandbag?
I just filed out a shallow U shape in a length of wood about inch wide and about 5 inches deep, that I put into a vice to hold it. Hammering over that formed the shape, I had to stop and anneal it after about every 20 whacks because the silver just got too hard. I didn't really think about the depth of the wood but if I had used a deeper piece the bangle wouldn't have been able to curl under it.
I make that sound easy, it wasn't. :facepalm:
I found out when I'd already started to make it that people tend to use thinner silver sheet than I was using. Mine was 1mm thick and I felt like I was blacksmithing half of the time :D

anyone fancy doing me a critique on my etsy shop? Biddlybee ? or anyone fancies a nosy - only have a couple of basic listings, i'd appreciate opinions on pretty much everything.

pm me :)

open call to critique my shop. made a load of changes based on feedback so far. or just favourite everything that'd be cool too ;):D pm for address :)

Back
Top Bottom