Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

I have a janome and its really good, havent used it in a while though but wouldnt mind making some new dresses for spring :)

Miss dee has had a craft room clear out, please if my woman cave starts to look anything like this please send me to rehab..:D

Working on invitations at the minute.

DL sized cards, with a 'slip' over made from organza ribbon - like a napkin ring

Struggling to come up with a satisfactory way of gluing the ribbon in to a ring, without forming it around a bit of card with some grease-proof paper to stop it sticking together.
I'm also using UHU glue, so I don't know if I could use something better? Once the rings are made and dried, I'm then putting two little beech decorations on, entailing the same faff with card mock up, grease-proof paper and UHU again.

Any suggestions? I'm not even sure I've explained myself very well

DL sized cards, with a 'slip' over made from organza ribbon - like a napkin ring

Struggling to come up with a satisfactory way of gluing the ribbon in to a ring, without forming it around a bit of card with some grease-proof paper to stop it sticking together.
I'm also using UHU glue, so I don't know if I could use something better? Once the rings are made and dried, I'm then putting two little beech decorations on, entailing the same faff with card mock up, grease-proof paper and UHU again.

Glossy accents, scotch quick dry adhesive, tacky glue??

UHU doesn't dry quickly enough for me. Would double sided tape work?

Can you take a picture and show us?

Hate it when that happens. Salvageable?
oh dear! how annoying for you. Do you think anything can be rescued? or is it just wrong fabric/style?
It can be difficult to do fittings by yourself, pm me if I can help?

One of them is a shirt dress I've made a million times before. I've always wanted one out of a cosy brushed plaid cotton, and finally found some cheap. However in a moment of madness I went for bright red rather than a darker blue/green version, and it's just a bit enlarging. I haven't hemmed it yet but it may be better shorter, I'll see.

The other is this pattern. I made some adjustments for big hips and have made it up in a rather thick black crepe with a bit of give in it, and it's come out kind of droopy and baggy. The fabric was thicker and givier than I'd realised. Again I haven't completely finished it, and sometimes things look better when you have, but it's not looking v promising.
$_57.JPG

One of them is a shirt dress I've made a million times before. I've always wanted one out of a cosy brushed plaid cotton, and finally found some cheap. However in a moment of madness I went for bright red rather than a darker blue/green version, and it's just a bit enlarging. I haven't hemmed it yet but it may be better shorter, I'll see.
I've been trying to find a red plaid shirt dress for months! Shame I'm bigger than you otherwise I'd have bought it off you and damn well made it fit! :D The one I started is languishing in a bag under the stairs in disgrace.

The black one sounds lovely. You'll have to wear it with a dobbing great distracting necklace, no one will ever notice the fit.

Thinking about making some felt slippers - having never tried wet felting before, it looks like a simple, if lengthy process just perfect for a slow moving January brain.

How well does needlecord stand up to washing? I bought some very 60s green psychedelic paisley needlecord which would look good as another washi dress, but I'm not sure how well needlecord survives regular washing. The alternative would be to make some kind of pinafore dress which would only need to be washed occasionally.

(Mind you, I still ought to finish the two disaster dresses first.)

How well does needlecord stand up to washing? I bought some very 60s green psychedelic paisley needlecord which would look good as another washi dress, but I'm not sure how well needlecord survives regular washing. The alternative would be to make some kind of pinafore dress which would only need to be washed occasionally.

(Mind you, I still ought to finish the two disaster dresses first.)
Really, really well. I have a needle cord skirt that is on it's third owner and has been pretty comprehensively abused and it's ace. Only thing you need to watch is shiny wear patches on elbows, knees and bum- but for a dress it should be fine

How well does needlecord stand up to washing? <snip>
Very well indeed - corduroy used to be for outdoor workwear and children's clothing because it was so durable. I've got a needlecord shirt, and the beauty of it is that it softens with each washing. I agree with Manter about the shiny wear patches, but you can delay them by gently brushing the garment against the grain before washing (to raise the pile).

BTW the pile on synthetic needlecord tends to be a bit more delicate than the pure cotton variety.

Folding and tearing strips for paper filligree - tedious, but it beats getting blisters from cutting. Anyway, the torn edges will soften the appearance of what these are for.

ordered summat called 'wool tops' in lovely colours - enough for slippers for myself and grandchild. The whole process looks messy and seems remarkably similar to (lengthy) breadmaking - lots of kneading and bashing, squeezing and rolling. If mine turn out well, will do grandchild's with her - an ideal project for little hands (she is desperate to learn to knit although I think 3 is a bit young...but felting!)

My son is also desperate to learn knitting and is only 3. Do let us know how the 'wool tops' works out, I'm intrigued!

etnea and campanula Maybe start out with ridiculously fat needles (I'm thinking 10mm/imperial size 1 or bigger), if possible? Easier to hold than the usually short but skinny needles marketed at children. Yes, those needles will be longer than absolutely needed, but that means you can sit the child on your lap (or between your legs) and help them work the needles and yarn until they get a feel for it.

Teaching from the side or with your hands coming from where their hands are makes it a lot easier to understand what they're supposed to do. The exception to this is if the learner definitely has a different hand dominance to you, in which case you teach facing them.

And something like 4 metres of soft and slippery nylon cord (like the thick stuff sold for blinds) to learn to knit with (roll it into the usual ball) - it won't split, it'll be easy to undo, and it won't stay confusingly wavy after a couple of times of being knitted and undone.

Short rows of only 3 or 5 stitches will make the knitting grow more visibly and get them into the habit of always completeing a row - quick results FTW.

Once they find that the basic movements for knitting don't need so much concentration, they can move to thinner needles.

Back
Top Bottom